Land destruction?

Q

Quill

Hello, I'm new here (first post) and I'm a relatively new magic player. Most of my magic games are multiplayer, and I'm intrigued with land destruction. I've been told that land destruction does not go off well in multiplayer (esp for someone who has no wrath of gods) but I want to try and build one anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me along the way?

Thanks in advance
Quill

C

CultHero

A fun card in multiplayer for mass destruction is Jokulhaups.

4X Jokulhaups
4X Eladamri's Vineyard
4X Orcish Oriflame
4X Birds of Paradise
4X Llanowar Elves
4X Ernam Djinn
4X Lightning Bolt
4X Incinerate
4X Orcish Lumberjack
24 Lands to taste

Though I have never played Jokulhaups in multiplayer, I think in a fun game, this deck should do well for you.

S

Squirrelmaster

I have a very successful Multi LD Deck. The best card in it is Wake of Destruction. I have also found that Mystic Compass works very nice in Multi Land Destruction. The trick to making LD work in Multi is to be able to selectively destroy mass amounts of land.

Z

Zadok001

Depends on how you want to go about it! :) Seems like there's several ways to make an LD deck in multi-player. They aren't easy, but they can be done. Here's a quick list, off the top of my head:

1. Armageddon. Classic LD, using artifact mana, 'Geddon, Propaganda to stop attackers, and a Serra or Morphling for the kill. Winter Orb is good too. Basic Prison deck.

2. Wildfire. Lots of quick artifact mana, Wildfire, and Covetous Dragons or similar airborne brigade type finishers. Just don't tell anyone what you're playing unless you want to be hit alongside the head by a steady supply of blunt objects.

3. Basic LD. Stone Rain, Wasteland, Strip Mine (if you can get away with it), Pillage, Raze, Dust Bowl, etc... Your basic land destruction deck, not too good in multi-player. To make it better for multi-player, add card drawing effects and Thran Foundry to let you reuse all your effects, as well as mass LD, like Tectonic Break and Wildfire.

4. Basic LD with a Twist. Artifact mana, same LD spells as above, with a splash of black for Yawgmoth's Will, allowing you to reuse all your dead LD spells. Allows for explosive turns, but not very fast.

5. Unexpected LD. My personal favorite style. Run something like Earthquake or Faultline, as well as Natural Affinity. This lets you blow all lands at the same time. Just find a way to keep everyone from getting revenge. Propaganda, if you can.

6. Reuse LD. A blue/red deck with unblockable creatures and Destructive Urge. Very good against multiple opponents, especially if you have Relentless Assault to keep the attacks underway. This deck will make you a target, though.

Anyway, just some random thoughts... From the master thereof, Zadok001.

Q

Quill

thanks guys...I'm going to search through my cards and see what I can do with what I have. I'm hoping to log all my magic cards in a database this weekend. I'll be keeping all your ideas in mind. Gonna have to look up most of the cards you named though...:)

T

theorgg

I'm glad we have a newbie to help.

If you want a land-denial(not specifically distruction) that is totally wrong and EVIL in multiplayer, try limited resources. if this is gotten out first turn in a big game, several people will not get more than one(or even none if there's enough people)land into play.

the toughest part is having the mana to survive and play your spells.

and for all your "what does that do?..." needs, may I suggest apprintice?
http://www.dragonstudios.com is where you can find it for download. it has a tricky interface, but it's database and online play function(not to mention the deck builder) is excellent.
not to mention free...