Substitute for Cursed Scroll?

Q

Quill

Hello All.

First thanks to everyone who helped me with suggestions on my R/G land destruction deck.
Recently I've been looking over mono black deck ideas. I'm wanting to make one that uses hand destruction (discard) along with creature beatdown. A lot of the decks of this type I see use 4 cursed scrolls...which are waaaay out of my price range for one card right now. I was wondering if there was a more reasonable card that could be "almost" as good in this type of deck?

D

Dune Echo

Ticking Gnomes...
Aeolipile...
Fireslinger...
Anaba Shaman...
Masticore...

The Cursed Scroll's point was to provide continuous damage at a cheap cost. There is no replacement yet, but there are alternatives. It really depends on the type of deck you're playing and the function Cursed Scroll would play in that type of deck. If it's your only form of damage, there is no replacement most likely. If it's just a supplement, creature damage works fine. It all depends really. Cursed Scroll is not necessary, just nice. But I know why Ferret likes it. ;)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Or Megrim. And if you've got some Sengir Autocrats or Breeding Pits you could throw in a couple of Fodder Cannons. They'll get around any COP's you run into!

TomB
CPA Member

K

K1

Hmm. Classic discard cards are hymn to tourach and hypnotic spectre. If you're not playing type II then you gotta have a couple of those. Then of course, theres the daddy of all discard, mind twist. Too bad its banned :)

K1

Killer Joe

I suppose my suggestion of "Rod of Ruin" is feeble at best, huh?
......aaaaaaand, Triskelion too.
I'm not sure there is a good replacement for CS.

D

Dune Echo

You're right, Yellowjacket, there is no true replacement for Cursed Scroll. The Scroll is one of the greatest artifacts to come along-ever. It's also one of the most loathed (rightfully so) because it's simply colorless burn with no real cost to the right decks. Cursed Scroll would be a lot weaker if it was in Masques once Urza is gone. Personally, I just feel that when they put so many power cards in the rare slot of a big expansion like they did with Tempest, that WotC is truly catering to the pros. Who else buys so many boxes/packs to get all the Cursed Scrolls they need without having to buy singles? (Maybe this belongs in the rant section...) A-a-a-anyhoo... Cursed Scroll is one of the cards that everyone knows and everyone wants, but it's too good. Can anyone imagine how differently Fallen Empires would have been regarded if it's "colorless instants" were more along the lines of Cursed Scroll?

C

chris92

i use a bottomless pit, megrim and the rack combo on my discarder. you could always put in pauper's cage if your not content.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Check the date of the posts. Not sure why chris is bringing up 4 year old threads, but most of the participants are no longer here...

R

Reverend Love

Use various forms of disruption then follow up with a

Caustic Tar!

Combined with cheap and efficient disruption Caustic Tar is a continual Lightning bolt to your opponents dome.

Maybe Something like

4 Duress
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Blackmail
4 Mindrot

combined with

4 Dark Rituals
4 Cabal Rituals (works great with all your discard spells)

Followed by

Caustic Tar
Corrupts
Soul Feast

Use some cheap drops to keep the pressure up..easy commons like:

Wretched Anurid
Erg Raiders
Spineless Thug
Cabal Interrogator (not really a beat stick but good for assisting disruption)

This deck would pack a hell of an initial punch.

N

Notepad

For some reason I just like the new Shards. Even in a black deck, Granite Shard could be a fun card. I dunno about its strength for tourneys, though. Megrim is you best option in a discard deck, though.

B

Bcopes

Originally posted by K1
Then of course, theres the daddy of all discard, mind twist. Too bad its banned
It's not banned anymore, just restricted so it's completely useable.

as for the deck

Musts:
4x Hymn
4x Hyppie
4x Negator
4x Duress
4x Dark Ritual
Mind Twist
Yawgmoth's Will

To Screw Around With:
Flesh Reaver
Carnophage/Sacromancy
Headhunter
Megrim
Nev's Disk
Dross Harvester
Phyrexian Scuta
Diabolic Edict
Chainers blah

I'd say go for the quickest beats possible. Scrolls are good to clear the way, but you could use other damage sources.

Pestillence, crypt rats, vicious hunger.

It all depends on whether or not you're concerned with removing threats or plonking stright to the dome. I'd go with the removal...if you play fat enough creatures, you won't have to worry about any sloppy cleanup damage.

T

train

and you can fork the twist... 4 times...

Oohh... - Isochron scepter - Fork... nice...

B

Bcopes

A discard/Scepter-control deck would be kind of cool actually, provided we can think of enough black instants that are strong enough. Are there any black instants that do any kind of direct damage...2cc or under?

4x Isochron Scepter
4x Diabolic Edict (Imprinted on scepter for po' man's abyss)
4x Ebony Charm (Imprinted on the scepter for the dreaded DRAW STEP LOCKDOWN)

4x Dark Ritual
3x Hymn to Tourach
3x Duress

4x Phyrexian Negator
4x Hypnotic Specter

1x Necropotence
1x Mind Twist
1x Yawgmoth's Will
1x Sol Ring

4x LIGHTNING BOLT (ha....cursed scroll)

4x Badlands/Sulfurous Springs/ City of Brass/Gemstone Mine/Mountain
18x Swizamps

This isn't the strongest deck in the world, and of course and it needs much more creativity other than the standard ghetto auto includes (duress,hymn, ect). But the idea of having a decent draw lock with a Negator on the board isn't half bad.

T

train

Simulacrum does damage... but it really only redirects it...

There is a deal 1 damage spell I think...

B

Bcopes

You could always play Darkness on the scepter...to make sure that your Headless Horsemen and Evil Eyes of Orms By Gore don't fall the the heedless Jedit Ojanen or the unforsaken Jerrard of the Closed Fist.

Seriously...a black fog effect could be cool...i guess.

T

Tabasco

Sulfuric Vortex....

Kinda hurts you too, but It surely speeds the game up...ALOT...

Works well with burn too

T

train

i like the vortex idea...

Now just throw out a Platinum angel...;)