Type 2 G/R Land Destruction

What do you think is the worst match-up for this deck?

• Rebels

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Counter-Rebels

• Fires

• Nether-Go

• U/W Control

• Machine Head

• a bad match-up? This deck? Not in this world!

• Total voters
L

Lotus Mox

Lately I've been testing my most recent version of Type II R/G Land Destruction on apprentice (yeah I know that doesn't mean much 'cause decks there are a bit scrubby), so far it has only lost 2 matches: one due to completely mana screw and another one vs. a nightmare deck with 4 Misdirection 4 Chill and 4 Teferi's resp. from SB.

Here's the decklist:
Grand-Son of Hermit v1.4

Lands(23)
9 Forest
5 Mountain
4 Karplusan Forest
4 Rishadan Port
1 Dust Bowl

Creatures(20)
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Chimeric Idol
4 Thresher Beast
2 Flametongue Kavu
2 Assault/Battery

Spells(17)
4 Stone Rain
4 Tangle Wire (MVP)
4 Creeping Mold
3 Tectonic Break
2 Pillage

Sideboard:
4 Simoon
3 Kavu Chameleon
2 Tangle
2 Earthquake
2 Hurricane
2 Flashfires

The idea of the deck is obviuos: denying opposing resources while putting a clock on the table.
Originally I ran Blastoderms instead of Thresher Beast but this deck is a bit light on serious threats so I often got struck with just a Blastoderm which often dealt only 5 or 10 dmg due to chump blocking, and then my opponent overwhelmed me, I don't think the beast is optimal but it's quite hard to survive it while trying to develop a mana base.

Also Tahngarth would be good in this deck, but I think his double red cc is a bit prohibitive. Any suggestions for a good creature are welcome.

Tangle Wire isn't heavy played right now because the environment is a bit slower but it really shines in this deck, after I put it in it definitely got much better than before and I never was unhappy drawing it, even late game due to Tec. Break.

The only thing I really need help is my sideboard, the 4 Simoon are a necessarity vs. several decks, but the other slots are open as I'm really not that good at sideboarding, so what would you put in?

S

Squee

Use 2 tectonic instabilities instead of Creeping mold They shut Down any deck with blue , destroy rebel, and Are very mean with a tectonic break. Take out 2 stone rains for Ghitu fires is my suggestion they are strong damage dealing spells late in the game.

C

Chaos Turtle

I don't think Tectonic Instability is that good.
Blue these days counters without paying mana, and Rebels can search during their Main Phase before playing land until they get to 4 land, at which time Tectonic Instability becomes dead since the Rebel player no longer needs to play land.

Do put in Ghitu Fire, but not at the expense of Stone Rain. Take out the mana elves instead. Go with 4 Assault/Battery, and think about bringing Pillage up to 3 or 4 (remove Creeping Mold to do this). In fact, remove Creeping Mold anyway. You should be playing Hull Breach in this deck.

I'm torn on the Flametongue Kavu, but go with it for now unless you find Shock/Seal of Fire would help you deal with early threats better.

L

Lotus Mox

Squee:
Tectonic Instability is okay vs. counter decks, but vs. any other deck (even rebels) it's a minor annoyance at best, and vs. blue counter decks I rather have Kavu Chameleon or Urza's rage.
Ghitu fire is a good option but I feel Assault/Battery is on par with Ghitu Fire and Flametongue Kavu is cheaper when you want to deal with an Angel + it beats down for 4 a turn.(In fact I exchanged Flametongue Kavu for Ghitu Fire which was in this deck pre-Planeshift)

Choas Turtle:
Taking out mana Elves? This deck is all about very speedy disruption, a usual game goes like:
turn 1 Elf(or Bird)
turn 2 Stone Rain(or Pillage)
turn 3 Creeping Mold(or Stone Rain or Pillage)
turn 4 Thresher Beast (or Flametongue Kavu or Idol)
turn 5 Tangle Wire(maybe + Idol or Stone Rain)
turn 6+ Tectonic Break
I feel they are vital for this deck.

exchanging Creeping Mold for Hull Breach? well I'm using Creeping Mold because it says destroy target land, the other abilities are okay, but that's not why I originally included it in this deck, and Pillage has RR in its casting cost which is more prohibitive than the GG in Creeping mold.

As for early threats, I usually can survive the early River Boa or Steadfast Guard beatdown until I manage to gain board advantage, and Flametongue Kavus are just great vs. those threats as is Tangle Wire in tapping them.

I also exchanged the Flashfires(unneccessary) in my sideboard for Flametongue Kavus which are so great killing something my opponent got out + the ability to bring him down to 0 life points in 5 turns for just 3R.