Fish Heads

I

Istanbul

22x Island

4x Counterspell
4x Rethink (coming out for Thwarts once I get some)

4x Lord of Atlantis
4x Rootwater Thief
4x Vodalian Merchant
4x Jolting Merfolk
2x Seahunter

4x Chimeric Idol
4x Well of Life
4x Zur's Weirding

SB:
3x Chill
3x Wash Out
3x Gush
3x Fact or Fiction
3x Rootwater Commando

The theme is simple: Fish beatdown with countermagic backup, and a built-in combo!

Well of Life, Chimeric Idol, Zur's Weirding.
During my turn, activate Idol.
At the end of my turn, I gain 2 life.
I use that 2 life to deny you whatever card you were going to draw.
You never draw again.

Chill vs. red decks.
Wash Out vs. monocolor.
Gush and Fact or Fiction if my combo isn't doing me any good.
Rootwater Commando vs. other blue decks.

Thoughts? Recommendations? And don't bother suggesting Port or Tangle Wire; I don't have any, and probably never will.

G

Griffith_se

How about that new Merfolk, Arctic I think?
It could work well with Jolting Merfolk, and Merchant (maybe).

G

Griffith_se

Maybe You don't need the Thieves?
If You successfully deny card drawing. and You Keep bringing Jolting Merfok You can achieve a total lockdown?
I think Arctic Merfolk Suits Your theme better than the Thieves, Wada Ya think, I don't Know?

D

Demon

Cause if not (and this is just a silly old suggestion off the top of my head) Vodalian Mages would supplement the counter magic component nicely (they're kinda expensive for 1/1's, though; major drawback).

Ignoring all that, I agree with Griffith_se about the Arctic Merfolk, and the rogue in me wonders why not go beyond 60 cards, if you really want the Thieves? Keep in mind that I have no tournament experience, and thus don't fully comprehend why no-one strays from that magic number.

anyway, just a few thoughts from someone suffering from a major lack of playing time,

cheers,
Demon

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
See cbearsbro's thread called "Deck Construction" in the General forum for why 60 is the magic number.

D

Duel

I seriously question vodalian merchants. If you're that desperate for a searcher, then use accumulated knowledge or Fact or Fiction

I

Istanbul

Neither Accumulated Knowledge nor Fact or Fiction will ever be a 5/6 Merfolk.

D

Draconis

Sure, but Merchant will surely come out before Thief???
Given the same stats, a Manta Rider-like ability to jump into the air and an occasionally savage ability?
The only mild disadvantage with Arctic is that you can't kick it out of a Seahunter. However, you shouldn't really be Hunting for 1/2s anyway, you want to be pulling out the bigger 'Folk (Jolting.)
So I say, sure, take out the Merchants for Arctics, if you find yourself ever holding Merchant thinking *I wish this was a Jolting Merfolk* :)