What was your first color?

D

Dune Echo

GREEN! And I still love it more than any other color! One of the first decks I used was a red/green burn/beatdown deck I copied from Zak Dolan out of Duelist #3. It's still a good, solid deck. When Fallen Empires came out, I went Thallid crazy because of an article in Duelist #4. I played Thallids for creature horde and Necrite for creature removal, it sucked but sure was fun in multiplayer.

Z

Zadok001

Black, no question. I'm a bad guy, at heart. My first deck was a black/blue creation full of Drain Lives, Hippies, a Royal, and a touch of countermagic. No Necro, but then again, Ice Age wasn't out then. It was actually a fairly good deck, nothing compared to what I've built lately, but fairly quick and ruthless.

I guess I just like controlling the game. Not with Draw-Go, though, that's boring. Solid, effective, mid-range control decks.

Besides, who doesn't like the feeling that comes with destroying a creature with a Terror?

Killer Joe

What was the color you first fell for when you started playing M:TG?
I'm sure some of us fell for Red (burrrrrrrrrnnnnn) or Green (Stomp, stomp, stomp), for me, I learned how to counter before I even learned some basic tactics. Although Blue for me at the beginning was very short-lived (I fell for Five-Colored Green like a rock), I'll never forget how I loved the look on my opponent's face when I said, "No!". And I mean with crappy counters like Remove Soul, Spell Blast and the still under-rated Memory Lapse (I still use that one).
So? How about you? What color did you fall for in the beginning?

Black?

Blue?

Green?

Red?

White?

This is Yellowjacket.

PS I posted this in the wrong Forum, my Bad.

[Edited by Yellowjacket (01-14-2000 at 12:10 PM).]

S

sorcerer

my first deck was a white and green deck with one rare, given to me by a freind. The rare he gave me, argothian wurm, made green my color. I still love green but I have learned that to make it more effective you mix it with blue.
To be up to date, with mercadian masques's mercenary cards BLACK RULES!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'll have to say mine was red just because it's my favorite color. But I didn't have any burn except for a fireball so I used a lot of creatures: Bird maiden, Dragon Whelp, Rukh Egg, Shivan Dragon, Gray Ogre, etc.

K

K1

I was immediately attracted to both black and blue, black because I thought its 'death and deception' themes were cool, and blue just because I liked countering things, even though I only had 2 counterspells. Back in the days of revised they were actually hard to get!

Nowadays, I would say I like green the best though.

S

Spart

The first deck I put together was Blue and White. I stuck with it for a while and got all the good creatures: serra angel, mahamoti djinn, clone, vesuvan doppleganger, and savanah lions. With some good support from disenchant, swords to plowshares, and counters the deck was great fun to play.

That is until my friend pulled the old swamp, dark ritual, black vice, black vice, black vice trick on me...

I

Ihsans Shade

I fell in love with red, and green. I loved to stomp on people with a giant creature like the Force of Nature(If any of you are laughing, shut up, It was big, and I liked it.), or the Shivan Dragon. Or make them a pile of ashes with a fireball(My favorite red spell). I'm still a big Green guy, but give me red, and I will burn you to oblivian.

The Chaos of Life rocks! So sayeth...
Ihsan's Shade

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
My 1st starter deck, w/a couple of booster packs (a birthday present), included a Serra Angel, who would always come out and stomp my opponents flat, looking hot while she did it. I think, on some level, I fell in love with her, and I feverishly bought boosters (when I could find them - this was during the shortage-plagued Revised era!) until I collected the requisite 4.

I guess that makes my choice White. :cool:

TomB
CPA Member

D

Dune Echo

Ihsan's Shade, why would anyone be laughing at you for using a Force of Nature? That thing damn near wiped out anyone in my limited group because the thing was so powerful. I like Child of Gaea too, and Thorn Elemental, and Multani, Maro-Sorcerer, and...

I

Ihsans Shade

It is a good card, but I thought someone would make fun of it's upkeep cost.
I do prefer the Child of Gaea though, even though it is only(snicker) a 7/7 it has an up keep cost of only two green.
Multani is definetly wicked. Here is my experience. The Baron came home one time, and brought his decks(he's got a killer dragons, and artifacts deck, but that is not the story). He played with one of his green deck that had Multani in it against Urza, Mishra, and myself. If it wasn't for the Baron's own Wraith of God we would have be toast. But still the Baron is an idiot, and he lost miserably.

I've rambled for long enough...
Ihsan's Shade

T

The Magic Jackal

My first color was gold. I open up a legends pack and got a Nica Bolas. The almighty powerful dragon legend. Only later when i really learned to play did I realize there is no way you can get him out and keep him, but i loved him anyway

K

K1

Its all about the sneak attacking nicol bolas that gets flung. 14 damage and loss of hand. Real fun It gets even better if there's a pandemonium out :)

[Edited by K1 (01-25-2000 at 05:15 PM).]

S

superguy

My first deck I believe was a green weenie, however I alternated it and my red burn deck. I later combined them- and it was real good. I still like green, but red got hosed in some of the last sets, so...

D

Duel

Blue. I may have shifted to faster decks recently, but I still remember the good old days of winter orb, errant minion, and power leak. Plus I love my fish deck.

M

Mordecai

When I started, my best friend owned some cards and wanted somebody to play with. He was running red-black, so I got to play white-blue-green. When we evolved from Portal to Tempest, I discovered Ranger en-Vec and that just increased my love for the white-green part. Then I found Counterspell, which led me to white-blue. My best friend hated counterspell so much, he got into blue and he was better at it than me. So I started using straight white and that's pretty much where I've been since. My primary deck is always a white deck. Always. Although currently it's got some blue too.

White is my color.

G

Gumby Khan

My first deck was one given to me by my friend, who was teaching me how to play. It was a simple beat/burn deck with elves/Kird Apes/bolts, etc. This was very straight-forward and easy to play. That's when I got hooked on the Magic and started to "jones" for the new release at the time...fallen empires! Ohhh, thallids, orcs, and thrulls, oh my! That is when my budding green thumb began thwipping through my newly opened boosters, looking for the spore flowers, thellonite monks, etc. I built a black/green deck with night soils and terrors to make little 1/1 saprolings that I could feed to my one Lord of the Pit (if I was lucky enough to draw him)! But, I ramble and reminisce too long. To answer a simple question, a simple answer; Green!

"First loves never fade, memory makes them mighty with age..."
-Ann Landers (I think)

M

Mike_Stalzer

My first deck, built from two 4th Edition Starter Deck was Green/Red/Black...it was horrible. My best cards were a Black Knight and a Lightning Bolt. I'm a strictly casual player, with about 20 decks (I'm addicted I tell you, addicted). I use all colors, naturally, but Green is far and away my favorite color...Thorny...Simian Grunts...Rancor...Ernie...Maro...Might of Oaks...Multani...I love it :)

-Mike

Q

Qetu

The color i felt in love first was red (lightning bolt).
I had an old Green/Red deck first of all. I liked all that mana and the fireballs disintegrates, kirdapes, lightnings ... :)

Then i went to blue, and blue/red (counter-ball with urza lands XD so fun) and then i played a blue/white stasis for a while. I remember adding Trade Caravans to the deck from homelands ...

Then i left magic ... for a while ;)

99crumplerm

For me it was plain and simple-blue and white.I fell in love with it from the start. many of my magic-going friends mocked me , while they fine tuned their green and red decks. well let me tell you something, 36 consecutive games, all won, play, counterspell.SMASH!play, disenchant, SMASH!nowadays, many people fear my loathed blue and white deck, it's stuck by me from the start, and never let me down, damn, it's even my best friend!!!