Revision of Black/blue Discard-Beat down. Please advise

P

PTQ

I played 13 games with this last night, all against Fires. I won 7, lost 6. The games I lost all seemed to be when:

1 - I did not have a Recoil in hand
2 - I could not knock the Burst or Derm out of thier hand on the second/third turn.

Overall, I liked how it played, but the mana development is clunky and not reliable.

I would like any ideas for improvement, especially with the land mix. I may go to 26 land, but not sure how.

Please and thank you.

Creatures (16)
3 Derelor
3 Abyssal Spectre
2 Thrashing Wumpus
4 Ravounous Rats
4 Chemeric Idol

Spells (20)
4 Coersion (Maybe Stupor back in, but I like having the choice)
4 Addle
2 Tsabo's Decree
2 Snuff Out
4 Recoil
4 Fact or Fiction

Land (24)
4 Underground River
2 Salt Marsh
2 City of Brass
2 Dust Bowl
4 Crystal Vein
4 Peat Bog
6 Swamps

Killer Joe

I love Derelor, but only in a deck where Black is only a splash color like old 5CG. You might want to replace it with Urborg Drake.
Stupor or Coersion is like apples and oranges, which ever you like best should work well.
Crystal Vein? I know you're looking for faster mana but CV might be going a bit too far.
Peat Bogs also may slow you down and for THAT matter, these two land types choke your Snuff Out's and Recoil's by limiting your mana choices, a CV won't help you cast Recoil.
Possibly think about Opt and Sleeper's Robe for getting to your needed basic land quickly.
How come Lobotomy wasn't a choice? You: ":I take Fires,..." Opp.: "<sniff-sniff :(>"
I'm learning more about black all the time but I'm no expert, good luck to you!

G

Gizmo

4 Ravenous Rats
4 Abysmal Spectre
3 Derelor
2 Thrashing Wumpus

4 Addle
3 Stupor
4 Recoil
4 Fact Or Fiction

3 Terror
2 Spite/Malice
2 Tsabo`s Decree

4 Salt Marsh
4 Underground River
3 Dust Bowl
1 Rath`s Edge (nasty Falcons/Sergeants)
14 Swamp

or

2 Dust Bowl
2 Island
2 Salt Marsh
4 Underground River
4 Peat Bog
4 Crystal Vein
8 Swamp

Although I`m not sure this deck has to reach high for mana very often, so the Bog/Vein idea might be a bad one.

P

PTQ

"Abysmal" spectre?
Is that a joke or a commentary on the card? (or both)

Now I'm second guessing myself, as I always do.

Oh well, I'll play it more aginst a wider field and report back at a later date.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Gizmo's deck looks like the way to go.

I would try Doomsday Specter in replace of your other specter, taking for granted the Doomsday is a card...

Z

Zadok001

Actually, going the route of Doomsday, I believe, requires a different, or at least more abundant, creature base. Voldalian Zombie is a good possibility if you want to play the Doomsday Specters, as are Tidal Visionaries and Voldalian Merchants (sic!).

I question the Stupors in Gizmo's design. Stupor is all well and good, but it isn't very strong disruption, and while you're casting it, your opponent is casting Blastoderm. I would do my best to run Wash Outs in that slot. I'm beginning to appriciate that card more and more, ESPECIALLY with the Doomsdays... :)

D

Draconis

Some suggestions :
Replace Coercion with Unmask.
Add some Vampiric Tutors, if you have them.
Take out the Abyssals, for, in a few weeks, something like 3 Doomsday Specter and a third Thrashing Wumpus or Evincar.
When it's available, drop Derelor for Phyrexian Scuta.
Play 23-24 land, with the ideal being something like 4 each of Underground River, Salt Marsh and Rishadan Port, 1 Dust Bowl (If you can get the Tutors) and the rest being Swamps and Islands.
Personally, I'd play Vendetta over Terror, if for no other reason than Chimeric Idol, and I'd replace the Spite/Malices with Wash Out.

And if you do find yourself wanting to run more creatures to feed to Doomsday Specter, I'd probably suggest either Vodalian Zombie, or the new Zombie in Planeshift, B for a 1/1 that makes each player lose 1 life when it comes into play. That way, you increase your chance of getting a turn 2-3 Specter off reliably. Tidal Visionary is also an option.
Good Luck to you :)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Keep the abyssals. Get rid of the derelors and put in Doomsdays when they are released.

Ransac, cpa trash man