The deckdoctor is now in session!

G

Gizmo

My experience of mono-brown is limited, but it would occur to me that your version has too many spells, and not the huge mana base that they usually use. I`d expect a min of 23 land, with Worn Powerstone a must-add (over Fire Diamond) because it sets up the turn4 Wildfire.
Your`s is the first version I have seen to strip the mana base right down and play with Dragons and Riders and Pillage AND Shock all in the same deck.
But then I know almost squat about mono-brown because as soon as they took the Atog out I lost all interest, and I prefer Tinker anyway.

T

The Magic Jackal

What i don't understand is why people are using rath's edge, especially in a red deck. Whoa, all i have to do is spend for mana and sac a land to deal one damage! wait isn't their a card called shock that does two damage for one red mana?

D

Duel

People are all over Rath's edge because it's a semi-constant form of damage (you can do it until you run out of land). It's sort of hailed as a cursed scroll wannabe. I think it's too limited; if it just cost five mana, it would be good.

D

Dune Echo

Giz: I think what it is about giving you your own little place is the fact that you take time to analyze each deck you see and leave a comment, suggestion, or improvements. You do that more than anyone else I know.

G

Gizmo

Re: Rath`s Edge
Most mono-coloured decks have space for a number of colorless lands in, and so they simply choose to use the land most suitable for their deck. In Wildfire I would have felt that Crystal Vein and Rishadan Port are the strongest options - both Rath`s Edge and Shivan Gorge are expensive to use, with kind of un-combos with Wildfire.

D

Daenen

Two words: Colorless Damage. I know what you all are thinking. Why not play with masticore? Well, I don't like Masticore. Anything that sucks away cards from my hand is never a good thing. If I were to play Masticore, I would play 4, with 4 Squee. But, alas, I have only one of each, so oh well.

Killer Joe

Dear Deck Doctor (Gizmo),
I am currently working on a T2 Counter-Burn deck and it needs some good advice. Can you help?
Here's the decks objective: What you can't counter, burn.
Here's the List:
4x Counterspell
4x Miscalculation
4x Power Sink
4x Rewind
4x Brainstorm

4x Shock
4x Parch
2x Squee, Goblin Nabob

3x Powder Keg
2x Masticore

2x Dust Bowl
4x Ghitu Encampment
4x Mountain
4x Faerie Conclave
12 Island

SB:
2x Hibernation
2x Hoodwink
2x Squeeze
2x Earthquake
2x Kill Switch
2x Chill
1x Masticore
2x Annul

The original idea was to have no non-land permanants (Double negatives are a bit much, eh?) but the Powder Kegs were unavoidable and the Masticore came from a deck list I saw of SQX (an evolved version of 'Counter-Phoenix'). It was all about re-action instead of pro-action. Once I gained control of the board I would send in the "Man-Lands" for the kill. Can you help?

S

supascrub

Hey Gizmo. I finally got tired of waiting for the dojo so here I am. I've got another deck for you guys.
4 Phyrexian Negator
2 Lurking Evil
2 Flesh Reaver
3 Skittering Skirge
4 Blood Pet
4 Dark Ritual
4 Duress
3 Unmask
4 Vampiric Tutor
4 Tangle Wire
1 Massacre
1 Perish
4 Vendetta
4 Rishadian Port
16 Swamp.

S

supascrub

Hey Gizmo. I finally got tired of waiting for the dojo so here I am. I've got another deck for you guys.
4 Phyrexian Negator
2 Lurking Evil
2 Flesh Reaver
3 Skittering Skirge
4 Blood Pet
4 Dark Ritual
4 Duress
3 Unmask
4 Vampiric Tutor
4 Tangle Wire
1 Massacre
1 Perish
4 Vendetta
4 Rishadian Port
16 Swamp.

D

Daenen

to: Gizmo

Do you want some extra help giving deck advice? I know that this is your thread, so I don't feel comfortable giving advice on decks submitted for your help. I just wanted your permission before I started helping people out.

Daenen

G

Gizmo

This thread was more about me announcing to people that I would be active on the CPA boards than anything else. Like I said to Gumby, my advice is no more valid than anybody else`s - so feel free to chip in!

G

Gizmo

Just as I am doing here...

Supascrub, the main difficulty I see straight away for the deck is a lack of offence (sorry, that should probably be offense seeing as Americans can`t even spel properli).
;)

Let me see
Creatures: 15
Reliable creatures: 3 Skittering Skirge
Everything else is conditional on what the board looks like in order to be effective. So the most immediate change I would make is to up the creature input to this deck, probably to 23/24 and then this would allow the deck to run with stuff like Hidden Horrors. The problem is finding enough quality creatures to make that viable.

Personally I like the Molting Harpy - I think it is a vastly underrated card once you reach the midgame and so I would play with Cateran Persuader to help me find them. Remember that as we will be adding Hidden Horror we can always pitch early Harpies to the Horror. Another strategy which I feel sure somebody will mention, but which I don`t personally agreee with, is using the Horror to set up an Unearth - but then you might as well just admit you`re playing `Zilla.
The Persuaders also make me want to play with Rampart Crawler as the other 1cc drop, but you can make a different version that stretches to Fallen Angel/Plaguelord at the top of the curve and then you would want Blood Pets to help you get there.

On the spot I will present to you my brand new decklist, conceived as I type:

CAND!MAN Black Beats
v1.0
Monsters (26)
3 Molting Harpy
3 Rampart Crawler
4 Cateran Persuader
3 Mindless Thug
3 Skittering Skirge
4 Hidden Horror
3 Phyrexian Negator
3 Rathi Intimidator

Spells (16)
4 Vendetta
4 Duress
4 Dark Ritual
4 Snuff Out

Land
18 Swamp

The spells are weak and there are several ways to take them. Snuffs could easily be Terror, Vicious Hunger, or Unmask even. With Rituals there is a case for Yawgmoth`s Will but I`m not convinced.
Dark Triumph is piss-poor but might have synergy given the number of monsters you can thaw out of the deck, but then so might Phyrexian Plaguelord or Fallen Angel. You could add in Twisted Experiments and Parallax Dementia if you wanted to go a more Suicide route, but I don`t recommend it. I like Tangle Wire but don`t feel it is as effective on the slow T2 as it is in the fast XT environment.

SB
1 Vampiric Tutor (add in to tutor for SB cards)
4 Planar Void (Bargain, Replenish)
4 Terror (WWeenie, Stompy, Sneak)
2 Perish (Stompy)
2 Massacre (WWeenie)
2 Masticore (mirror, Stompy, WWeenie)

Basically your deck carried too much disruption, and not enough that kills your opponent while they are disrupted. This puts aggression first - you can kill somebody by drawing nothing but creatures, but nobody has been beaten down by a hand of Duress and Tangle Wire.

[Edited by Gizmo (03-15-2000 at 05:42 AM).]

G

Griffith_se

Gizmo,

Would you be so kind as to help my deck titled, black speed T2 in this forum?

Thanks
Griffith_se
(formerly of the Dojo)

G

galtwish

I'm sure your 4cc+ format game has already taken place, but if anyone else is interested, here's a pretty decent deck for the format

4 Befoul
4 Unmask
4 Contagion
2 Spinning Darkness
4 Snuff Out
2 Extinction
3 Yawgmoth's Bargian
4 Corrupt
4 Masticore
1 Subversion
2 Disk
26 Swamp

SB
4 Eastern Paladin
4 Western Paladin
4 Extortion
2 Extinction (Morphling is such a beating)
1 Cosmic Horror

All the ACC disruption/removal should let you hold out long enough to drop Bargain and start Corrupting for the win. Maybe Parallax Nexus, or whatever it is called, to combat Blue countering when you are ready to drop your bombs. Watch out for Blue with Misdirection, though!

Second thought goes to this:

4 Blinking Spirit
4 Radiant's Dragoons
3 Academy Rector
4 Ivory Gargoyle
3 Avenging Angel
3 Staunch Defender
4 Wrath of God
3 Catastrophe
1 Worship
1 Angelic Chorus
1 Yawgmoth's Bargain
2 Phrexian Processor
27 Plains

SB
4 Southern paladin
4 Northern Paladin
4 Winds of Rath
3 Oracle's Attendants(? new Nemesis Bodyguard)

S

supascrub

I will admit that the deck I posted doesn't just drop a bunch of creatures and beat the crap out of somebody, but that isn't exactly what I wanted to do. The main point of the deck is to drop a big creature (power four or greater hopefully to put them on a five turn clock) and then disrupt them long enough to kill them. I just need to get one huge guy out and tap stuff during their upkeep. If they drop anything on their turn I should be able to kill it. I only need to keep this up long enough to kill them which doesn't take very long with a negator or a reaver. Please post your suggestions on a deck like this. Comments from anybody would be greatly appreciated.

D

Daenen

To: Yellowjacket

This is in regards to your CounterBurn deck above. If I were you, I would make these modifications:

-2 Powersink (Good card in the right situation, otherwise useless)
-2 Rewind (Above your mana curve)
+2 Seal of Fire
+2 Flame Rift

Then, adjust your lands to follow suit. I hope this helps.

Daenen

G

Gizmo

In that case the deck is still facing the same problems and needs more creatures, just later ones. Whichever way you want to take the deck it doesn`t have enough reliable beatdown creatures at the moment.
Try this version then, I`ll try not to get too many rares in but seeing as your list had stuff like 4 Tangle Wire and 4 Port you may well not have a problem getting hold of cards:

Monsters (12)
4 Skittering Horror
4 Phyrexian Negator
2 Thrashing Wumpus
2 Ascendent Evincar

Spells (24)
3 Vendetta
4 Dark Ritual
4 Duress
2 Vampiric Tutor
1 Terror (4 Vendetta hurts)
1 Rapid Decay
2 Yawgmoth`s Will
3 Forced March
4 Stupor

Land (24)
4 Rishadan Port
4 Crystal Vein
16 Swamp
(you could use Peat Bog in place of Veins if you wanted, but I don`t recommend it. I like the Vein with Negators and YWill as it is basically another Ritual:
Tap 3 Swamps, sac Vein, cast YWill. Replay and sac Vein, replay Stupor and Duress.
So from having 4 land you are able to YWill 4cc of cards from your graveyard!)

I have to fundamentally disagree with Tangle Wire in here - I used it to great effect in my Extended Hatred deck but it seems way too short-term for use in T2, especially as in this deck you might not get a threat into play before turn 3 and by then Tangle Wire is almost certain to be useless.
I choose to go with mass discard as my disruption, and with fatty monsters the Forced March seems essential:
"Negator, Horror. March for two and attack."
The other route is with Blight, Rain Of Tears and Befoul to help run your opponent into the Tangle Wire but I think you need at least 10 LD to make it worthwhile (and Dust Bowl in the landmix) and so I found it hard to make space for them and you might as well run Smokestack if you`re going to make that deck.

[Edited by Gizmo (03-16-2000 at 06:47 AM).]

D

Daenen

to: Gizmo

Last week I got my but kicked by a blue/red rogue deck that used Parallax Tide and Jokalhaups (sp?). I think that it could be fun to play, only I don't know what cards to use. Do you have any ideas?