All-common decks?

E

ErinPuff

Has anyone here actually succeeded in making a deck with all commons? I tried once.. it was this horrendous little Goblin thing.. didn't work. :)

Killer Joe

I keep this lil' gem in my desk at school:
2x Undertaker (to bring back the pain)
3x Vendetta (There are Masticores around here)
4x Drake Hatchling (it was good enough for MBC Rising waters, it's good enough for me)
4x Stinging Barrier (see above)
4x Waterfront Bouncer (see above)
4x Blastoderm (just a darn good Common)
4x Yavimaya Elder (I didn't want to use a tapping for mana creature)
4x Canopy Spider (solid in multiplayer)
3x Vine Trellis (Okay, so this is a tapping for mana creature, so what, Sparky)
3x Spore Frog (He and the Undertaker get along well)
3x Vodalian Zombie (A lot of Green mages here)
3x Recoil (What are they calling this now, a mini Desert Twister? Whatever.)
4x Swamp
7x Island
9x Forest
I love this thing, I built it for multi-player games but it doesn't do too bad in duels either.
I originally had this as a Blue/Green bounce thing but when Invasion came out I couldn't resist splashing Black for Recoil and the Zombie (lots of Green Mages here).
Since I wanted to use only commons I had to think of cheap ways to smooth out the mana challenges, so I thought that Yavimaya Elder was a good choice because it had synergy with the spellshapers, as you can tell, I don't need more than five or six lands in play to get this going for the long game, so I can afford to pitch a few lands for these abilities. I also kept mindful of the mana curve of my creatures, so I have a lot of low casting cost guys. I also wanted ALL creatures and making sure they had abilities (sorta like pulling double duty), so that was a challenge. I still may replace the Vendetta's with something else, though.
Hey, how about that Canopy Spider, that little guy rocks at 1G with a P/T of 1/3 and can block fliers AND live through it. He should be in the next core set.

Anyone for a Game?
-oops, my Bad, that's a different story :)

S

superguy

Said it before, Ill say it again, if you're playing for fun everything's replacable. And there are a lot of possibilites for all commons decks.
For example, black weenie:
Dark Ritual
Hymn to Tourach
Duress
Black Knight
Pump Knights
Shadows
Other weenies

Green Beatdown:
Ghazban Ogre
Wild Dogs
Rancor
Giant Growth/Symbiosis/etc
Pouncing Jaguar
All the cheap creatures you ever wanted.

Another deck that can possibly be made of all commons is "fish" with its flying creatures and Unstable Mutations, Foce Spikes, Dazes, Capsizes and whatever else is suitable.

I think that you can make an all-common deck very easily. How it will perform against fine tuned mostrosities, I don't know, but if you're looking for some fun or getting a friend started, this can be a way.

S

Sammy Dead-O

What about...

4 Kird Ape
4 Raging Goblin
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Goblin Patrol
4 Goblin Raider

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Goblin Grenade
4 Incinerate
4 Fireblast

4 Land Grant
2 Emerald Charm

14 Mountain
4 Forest

I dunno. It might work.

K

KaVu_LoRd

i made a all common deck once. it worked well.
i call it dermy love

4 llanowar elves
4 blastderm
4 horseshoe crab
4 hermatic study
4 counterspell
4 quirion elves
4 elvish lyrist
4 boomerang
4 yavimaya granger
4 yavimaya elder

9 island
11 forest

J

Johnny Lai

Here are a number of Commons Decks that are legal in T2.

This first deck is actually my favorite deck to play right now.

Stinging Control Deck

4 Opt
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Exclude
4 Counterspell
4 Power Sink
4 Prohibit
4 Stinging Barrier
4 Recoil
2 Repulse
2 Mourning
14 Islands
10 Swamps

=> This control deck’s concept is card advantage through spells like Acc Knowledge, Exclude, and Stinging Barrier. Recoil and Repulse deal with permanents and slow down the opponent so that you can survive the early game. Once you get an active
Barrier or two, you can kill off the weenies. Mourning is really good in this deck! It's an answer to a lot of commonly used problem blue cards, including River Boa, Kavu Chameleon (with a Stinging Barrier to Block)

Commons Mono-White Rebels
4 Infantry Veteran
4 Ramosian Sergeant
4 Fresh Volunteers
4 Steadfast Guard
2 Ramsian Lieutenant
2 Defiant Falcon
3 Thermal Glider
3 Nightwind Glider
1 Lightbringer
1 Lawbringer
4 Disenchant
2 Shackles
4 Cho-Manno’s Blessing
22 Plains

=> This is all about the Rebel engine. A Cho Manno’s Blessing resolving ruins some decks.

Commons Armadillo Cloak Deck

4 Thornscape Apprentice
4 Ramosian Sergeant

4 Llanowar Knights
4 Nomadic Elf (or River Boas)
4 Fresh Volunteers
2 Steadfast Guard
1 Defiant Falcon
1 Ramosian Lieutanent

3 Thermal Glider
3 Nightwind Glider
4 Armadillo Cloak
4 Disenchant

10 Forest
12 Plains

=> A white/green deck that takes advantage of Rebels and the powerful Armadillo Cloak. A newbie can learn to play this easily, but also learn more advanced sneaky tricks like using Nomatic Elf to use Thornscape Appentice’s first- strike ability.
I've played this deck a lot too and it's quite effective. Be patient and let the Rebel card advantage engine win it for you or get a flying cloaked Rebel cruising over for the win.

Red/Green Speed Deck

4 Llanowar Elves
2 Thornscape Apprentice
4 Nomadic Elf
4 River Boa
4 Yavimaya Barbarian
4 Silt Crawler
4 Blastoderm
4 Seal of Fire
4 Scorching Lava
4 Rhystic Lightning

12 Forest
10 Mountains

=> Just a commons version of Speed Green/Red.

Counter Rebel

4 Tidal Visionary
4 Ramosian Sergeant
4 Fresh Volunteers
2 Steadfast Guard
4 Galina’s Knight
1 Ramosian Lieutenant
2 Defiant Falcon
2 Thermal Glider
2 Nightwind Glider
2 Lightbringer
2 Lawbringer
4 Brainstorm
3 Disenchant

11 Islands
12 Plains

=> The Rebel Engine backed by blue tricks, this deck gains creature control element of Tidal Visionary + a Bringer searched out at the end of turn. It takes advantage of Protection creatures, which can become useful even against an off-color opponent when you have a Visionary in play. Green/White decks with little creature removal will have problems against a perpetual pro-color blocker!

Commons Rebel Burn

4 Ramosian Sergeant
4 Fresh Volunteers
3 Steadfast Guard
2 Ramsian Lieutenant
2 Defiant Falcon
3 Thermal Glider
3 Nightwind Glider

4 Disenchant
4 Seal of Fire
4 Rhystic Lightning
2 Lightning Blast

14 Plains
10 Mountains

=> Yes, more rebels. Rebels with some burn for removal or throwing the final points of damage at your opponent’s head.

S

Sammy Dead-O

Welcome, Johnny Lai. I remember reading about these decks (and about giving common decks to newbies) on The Dojo. Liked the article.

How well have you found the Rebel/burn deck to work? I've been thinking of trying something like it.

J

Johnny Lai

Common Crypt Rats

This deck is a casual commons deck that takes advantage of the increadibly powerful common Crypt Rat and its synergy with another powerful common black creature, Gravedigger. It's one of my favorite decks I've ever built.

The deck was designed when it was type type legal at the time, but now it's not ever legal for extended because of the dark rituals!

Exploding Rats!

4 Dark Rituals
4 Blood Pets
4 Dauthi Horror
4 Dauthi Slayer
4 Tar Pit Warrior
4 Gravediggers

4 Diabolic Edict
4 Drain Life
2 Spinning Darkness

22 Swamps

FYI: The Crypt Rats is a 1/1 creature for 2B that has the ability: Pay X: Crypt Rats deals X damage to all creatures and players. Use only black mana.

It's the centerpiece of the deck because he's essentially a common Wrath of God that is better because he can be reused by way of Gravedigger. The damage dealt to self is not a problem since there are six spells that gain you life and damage the opponent or creatures in the process: Drain Life, Spinning Darkness.

This deck is an aggressive deck that has multiple ways to win and control the board. Early game, get down Blood Pets and the Shadows for early beatdown. Tar Pit Warriors are there to help too or else to block. These early creatures are all strong threats that require your opponent to deal with them. If they waste cards killing your creatures, fine.

In the meantime, your opponent's probably put out creatures of their own, either to block or try to race your shadows. Now, in the midgame, once you've drawn out the creature removal spells and your opponent has put out creatures, it's time to drop the Crypt Rat. Unless you're desperate, try not to drop the Rat until you have mana to immediately activate him and kill all your opponent's creatures because they WILL aim burn and other removal spells at him. Don't forget the Blood pets and Dark Rituals are there to help you in this effort. If you have a Blood Pet in play and a Dark ritual in hand, you can tap out for the Rats and deal three damage to everything if they try to kill it with targeted removal!

Having a Rat in play means you own the board: your opponent(s) will be afraid to play more creatures, fearing their imminent death. Be patient and force them to try to kill the rat before having the rats explode. Try not to use your mana for anything else when you have a Rat out because you want the Rat to explode for the maximum mana to have. Once your opponent(s) force you to explode the rat, it's an ideal time to Drain them for a bunch to stay ahead on your life total. Be careful when you have a Rat in play not to Alternative Costing Cost Spinning Darkness and remove the Rat from your grave (unless you're desperate).

By this point, you will hopefully have a Gravedigger in hand to bring back the Rats for more! The Crype Rat is almost always the first choice for Gravedigger recursion (exception: you have another Gravedigger in the grave to bring back first!). Usually, the Shadow your were holding in your hand or one more Rat explosion should do them in for good.

When using your Diabolic Edicts and Spinning Darkness to remove opposing creatures, keep in mind that the Crypt Rats can block up a bunch of creatures by himself. Edicts are really great after a Rat explosion because your opponent often will only have one or two creatures in hand at this point.

Have fun with this deck. I know I have.

H

Hellion

A few decks can be made from commons.....a few GOOD decks!

You can make a Blue Skies deck with all commons because the counterspells and small flying creatures for blue are usually commons....

You can make a Sligh deck with all commons like 4 Lightning Bolts, 4 Fireblasts, 4 incinerates, 4 Mogg Fanantics, 4 Goblin Patrols, 4 Seal of Fires, 4 Shocks, 4 Goblin War Buggys.......

You can make a black weenie deck or black control deck with all commons.....cause usually black has common creature removal (diabolic edict, dark banishing) and cheap creatures (order of ebon hand, pestilence rats, ravernous rats....)

Green stompy...that's a easy one

Many decks can be made from commons it's all just down to you knowing all the cards to put in these decks......

G

Gizmo

Yeah, about four years ago I won an all-commons tourney with a U/B deck based around Hymn To Tourach, Illusionary Forces, Spell Blast and Pestilence.

It`s usually a good format, half way between draft and constructed in that bad cards are still bad (unlike in limited), but average cards become good.