Tournament help

T

The Magic Jackal

I've been playing magic for 5 years now. I was a crappy player for two years, a casual player for 2 1/2, and I've just recently been playing in tournament (since december).

I hadn't been to a tournament before december, local or dci certified. Yeah, it's pretty stupid to start playing dci tournaments during urza's block, and even more stupid to go to a PTQ as your first tournament. Reguardless of what they tell you, new players do not suck.

Even though i struggled through the ptq, 2-3, I have been doing well since, a couple top eight.

My question is this- Why is my ranking only a measly 1630?

I've been beating people who have a lot of people whow have a higher ranking than me, but still i don't move up.

Do they also give new players the shaft or what? Also, somethimes i have to drop out early due to my ride leaving (I hate when that happens). Does that lower you score?

Thanks for your help!

U

Ura

Greetings and welcome to the cpa Jackal.
Though I haven't played in a DCI event for a few years (been playing for 7) I do remember that events all have a certain K value. Some tournys are worth more than others. If your only playing in low K value events then that could explain your lower rating.

T

The Magic Jackal

are jss tournies cosidered to have a low K value?

U

Ura

no idea, sorry. Like I said, I haven't played competetivly for a few years.
Maybe send an e-mail to WotC or the DCI?

S

supascrub

It can also take wizards a long time to update your rating. At the beginning of the extended qualifier season my rating was 1588. After making four top eights in seven qualifiers my rating is only 1613. They still don't have four of my tournaments entered into their system.

G

Gizmo

Well, assuming you have a been competing in DCI events, and you can remember your DCI number, then the scores are logged here:
http://events.wizards.com/DCIRanking/default.asp
Just bang your DCI number into the form, and hit 'search', then it will show you your ranking in whatever formats you have played in.

If you are a Legends member then you can call up more detailed info (such as the result of EVERY match you EVER played, including when, what, who with, and how that loss affected your ranking). Legends members log in here:
http://events.wizards.com/DCIMember/default.asp?game=MG