Extended Land Destruction Deck!

D

Daggertooth

Hi All. If i'm going to rule the world I have to come at least close to winning a tournament. I'm concentrating on Extended Format. I've never played at an Extended tournament before. I'm thinking tri--color Land Destruction Deck would work nicely. I just need help with it. I tried to figure out The Banned/restricted list at wotc, but If you see any mistakes please tell me. This also has some Planeshift cards in it. (Assuming the rumored cards are real)

Creatures
4x Shivan Wurm
2x Darigaaz, the igniter
4x Thunderscape Master
4x Trench Wurm
4x Dwarven Miner

Enchantments
3x Necropotence

Instants
4x Terminate
4x Vampiric Tutor

Sorcery
4x Pillage
3x Scorched Earth
4x Choking Sands
4x Rain of Tears

Artifacts
4x Mox Diamonds

Land
4x Darigaaz's Caldera
4x Reflecting Pool
4x City of Brass
2x Dustbowl
2x Wastland
2x Urborg Volcano
3x Sulfurous Springs
3x Karplusan Forest

Sideboard?
4x Smoldering Tar
4x Darigaaz's Breath

Well,Whatdayall think? I know it has 68 cards, That's one of the problems. I want a little more mana Acceleration but I couldn't think of any.

The basic strategy is the same for most LD Decks. Destroy any chance for the opponent to get any foothold then WHAM! In with the big Creatures.

I've never played extended Before so I don't know what to expect with the sideboard. Please help me.

Any help is Appreciated
Thanks
Daggertooth

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
In my experience, you need a lot more creature removal (and possibly enchantment removal) than you have right now. I'd possibly look at having 4-8 fatties and convert the rest into removal.

Try to get the appropriate Dual lands (looks mostly like Badlands for you here).

Other mana acceleration could be Grim Monolith and Fellwar Stone (probably others too).

D

Daggertooth

Heres another try at it.

Creatures
4x Shivan Wurm
2x Darigaaz, the igniter
4x Avalanch Riders
3x Dwarven Miner

Enchantment
3x Necropotence

Instants
4x Terminate
2x Terror

Sorcery
4x Pillage
3x Scorched Earth
4x Choking Sands
4x Rain of Tears

Artifacts
4x Mox Diamonds

Land
4x Darigaaz's Caldera
4x Badlands
4x City of Brass
4x Wastland
4x Sandstone needle
4x Sulfurous Springs

Sideboard?
4x Hull Breach
2x Dark Banishing
4x Smoldering Tar
4x Darigaaz's Breath

I still have 65 cards in here.
Is this any better?
I posted this on mtgnew.com and they suggested totaly different things. more of a mono color ponza strategy.

Thanks for the help

Daggertooth

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding your list specifically, I think you can easily cut out the Necros, a Wurm, and a Rider to get down to 60 cards. If you want a Necro, keep one in and take out another Wurm.

Also, where the heck is Stone Rain? If the Miners are non-basic (can't remember without looking them up), I'd replace them with Stone Rain and take out a Scorching Earth. If you really like the Miners, keep one in and take out maybe a Pillage. Or replace the Rain of Tears with the Stone Rains; I think the Tears are too black mana-dependent.

Here's a quasi-Extended LD that I have:

Artifacts
1 Pit Trap
1 Purging Scythe
1 Nevinyrral's Disk

Creature Removal
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Contagion
1 Terror
2 Pyrokinesis
4 Diabolic Edict

Creatures
1 Shivan Hellkite
2 Wall of Souls
1 Juggernaut
1 Energizer
1 Monstrous Hound

Other Damage
1 Sudden Impact

Mana Acceleration
2 Dark Ritual

LD
3 Pillage
1 Rain of Tears
4 Stone Rain
3 Choking Sands

Other
1 Vampiric Tutor

Land
2 Badlands
4 Mishra's Factory
1 Polluted Mire
1 Smoldering Crater
8 Swamp
8 Mountain

These are from cards I have so I don't have 4 Badlands and I also wanted to use some weird cards, like Monstrous Hound and Energizer.

Alot of these cards are not truly Extended (like Dark Ritual); plus, this is Rath and earlier so there might be better choices out there in later sets. However, the goal is to control the board with the Wall and lots of creature removal until I get enough mana to start casting the LD. Purging Scythe controls the weenies if there's a swarm out before I can stablize (likewise, the Disk). Sudden Impact is when the have lots o cards in their hand after I destroyed their mana, and I only put out a fattie when I have board control.

So to imprint this on your deck, I'd say you need Incinerates and Edicts (since you probably can't use Bolts) at the very least. Contagion and Pyrokinesis are good cards when you're tapped out (and the Contagion and Edicts affect black creatures).

Anyway, my deck could be totally off-base. But I firmly believe in creature control before creatures, so that's why my deck is the way it is.

P

Planeswalker

First off, if you guys want any chance to survive in Extended, you need speed and agressiveness. This deck has neither. Essentially the only deck that has been based upon mana-denial that has worked in Extended is the Legion's LLL. The reason was simple: it was mono, it had lots of acceleration, good control elements, and could play a cheap kill card quickly. This is the LLL that I play with for playtesting.

4 Llanowar Elves
4 Fyndhorn Elves
4 Wall of Roots
4 Spike Feeder
4 Blastoderm
2 Masticore
4 Cursed Scroll
4 Winter's Grasp
4 Thermokarst
4 Creeping Mold
14 Forest
4 Rishadan Port
4 Wasteland

Land destruction really is a bad idea in Extended. Without Ritual, it is too slow to really be a factor, especially with Force of Will and Misdirection rearing their heads. I really recommend playing something else. Also, the LD strategy is usually terribly inconsistent, both mana wise and actually drawing the LD itself. The only other type of LD strategy I have seen work in Extended was probably just luck and a good metagame deck. It was essentially a reset-based burn deck that utilized Jokulhaups and Bogardon Phoenix, with Stone Rain and Pillage for added control. Anyways, best of luck to you.

D

Daggertooth

Okay, Then what is a good idea in Extended. Besides Trix. That deck dosn't seem too fun to play.

Also, I posted this deck on MTGnews.com and here is what I got:

Creatures
4x Avalanche Riders
3x Dwarven Miner
4x Jackal Pup
4x flailing soldier

Enchantments
4x Seal of Fire

Instants
4x incinerates

Sorcery
4x Pillage
4x Stone Rain

Artifact
4x Cursed Scroll
4x Mox Diamond

Land
2x Keldon Necropolis
2x Dustbowl
4x Wastland
12x Mountain
4x Rishadan Port (?)

Sideboard?
1x Dwarven Miner
4x Darigaaz's Breath
4x Pyroblast
4x Taiga
4x Hull Breach

Which ones better?

Thanks for all the help

Daggertooth

D

Daggertooth

If Trix is dominating the board, The best thing to do to win in extended is to play trix. If you can't beat them join them. I've actualy never seen it so I don't know if I like it or not.

Does anyone know where I can find a deck list for a standard trix deck.

Daggertooth

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Bad thought, IMHO...

If everyone's playing Trix (from the assumption that Trix is dominating the field), everyone will have sideboards against it and be prepared to face it.

If you really want to go that route, then be sure you know how to deal with a mirror-match.

Otherwise, my personal inclination is to find/build a deck that can beat it and have a fair shot at beating other decks you might face (if you have the time to design/fool around with such a deck).

S

Sammy Dead-O

I've never played Extended, but it seems right now that some sort of life gaining would be extremely helpful in the format. You push Trix and PandeBurst to work twice as hard to win, and Sligh gets slowed to the point that it might run out of gas. I don't know what deck is the best choice right now, though.

If you want to continue in the LD vein, you might look at something like Mark LePine's 1999 Worlds deck as a model. It had some speed and aggressiveness in its creatures (4 Pup, 4 Fanatic, 3 Fireslinger) as well as Ghitu Encampments, Avalanche Riders, and Scrolls. Stone Rains, Pillages, Hammers, and Arc Lightnings did some control work for him, and Shocks could add aggressiveness if necessary.

At any rate, good luck.

P

Planeswalker

1. Whaddaya mean LLL isnt fun to play? Do you want to win, or get the pants beat off of you while playing a total pile. The one game all day that Darigaaz actually hits the table, ill bet he gets Sworded before the end of turn. Denying your opponent the game while beating them up with elves is totally fun.
2. The Sped Red deck that Mark Le Pine and Jamie Park played are decent LD-tempo decks that work similarly to LLL. Instead of creatures, Sped Red uses burn for board control. Sped Red is tough to play in Extended because of its lack of acceleration, and so it really needs 3 Ancient Tombs main deck. I would probably swap the Pups for a Lightning Dragon and 3 Earthquakes. This deck is aggresive enough that it can hold its own. The deck should look something like:
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Avalanche Riders
3 Fireslinger
1 Lightning Dragon
4 Pillage
4 Stone Rain
4 Shock
3 Earthquake
1 Cave-In
3 Hammer of Bogardon
4 Cursed Scroll
15 Mountain
4 Wasteland
3 Ancient Tomb
3 Ghitu Encampment
Sideboard(to beat Trix, Sliver, TS, Weenie/Sligh)
4 Scald
2 Masticore
3 Ticking Gnomes
4 Pyroblast
2 Burnout

The goal is to apply early pressure from the Stone Rain+Ancient Tomb and/or Avalance Riders+Ancient Tomb, so that you can take out a land and keep the tempo with you. Empty your hand quickly to abuse the Scroll, and dont forget that Pillage kills Masticores. In a lot of matches, the Ticking Gnomes should replace the Fireslingers, since they are a 3/3 and dont hurt you; they also laugh at Chill. You should almost never side-out the Pillages because they destroy artifacts, like Masticore and Cursed Scroll. This deck was very successful in Type II, but im not too sure about it in Extended. I have never played Sped Red very well in Extended because of the amount of Trix decks and anti-red hate running around, but its not to say that it couldnt happen. I think that if it were to work, this would be the deck to do it.

L

Loafing Giant

Red does have the most LD

I found out when I played a deck based on destroying my opponents land and then attacking him with land damage( Natural Affinity, Treetop Village, Forbiding Watchtower, Mishra's Factory, and so on)
That a combo dealing with Jolrael, Empress of Beasts and Powder Keg torched their lands in 1 Swiping Blow. So why Not a Deck using Green and Red?

Also: Bop, Quirion Elves/Ranger, Vine Trellis, Wall of Roots, ETC. They help speed up Mana-Production.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Daggertooth

magiccampus.com Has a Trix Deck List