More Planeshift...

D

DÛke

...yep.

My source is Mag2.

Here are the new cards:

Draco - 16*Rare
Artifact Creature - Dragon; 9/9*Rare
Flying. Attacking doesn't cause Draco to tap. Draco costs 2 less to play for each basic land type among lands you control. If Draco would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, remove Draco from the game instead

Allied Strategies - 4U Sorcery*Uncommon
Target player draws a card for each basic land type among lands he or she controls.

Planeswalker's Mirth - 2W*Rare
Enchantment
3W: Target opponent reveals a card at random from his or her hand. You gain life equal to that card's converted mana cost.

Planeswalker's Mischief - 2U*Rare
Enchantment
3U: Target opponent reveals a card at random from his or her hand. If it's an instant or sorcery card, remove it from the game. As long as it remains removed from the game, you may play it as though it were in your hand without paying its mana cost. If it has X in the mana cost, X is 0. At end of turn, if you haven't played it, return it to its owner's hand. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.

Planeswalker's Fury - 2R*Rare
Enchantment
3R: Target opponent reveals a card at random from his or her hand. Planeswalker's Fury deals damage equal to that card's converted mana cost to that player. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.

Skyship Weatherlight - 4*Rare
Legendary Artifact
When Skyship Weatherlight comes into play, search your library for any number of artifact and/or creature cards and remove them from the game. Then shuffle your library. 4, T: Choose a card at random removed from the game with Skyship Weatherlight and put that card into your hand. 4: Regenerate Skyship Weatherlight.

There.

First of all, I would like to thank our psychic member, Chaos Turtle, for almost guessing what Skyship Weatherlight would be.

Then, I'll comment the cards:

Draco is a plain fun card, and could probably see play in some kind of new reanimation decks. I would think it'd be big, but just "big" as a hype card for kids or collectors. It's too early to judge such cards anyway...

Allied Strategies MIGHT have been good if it was an Instant. It's not that hard to play a U/B/W deck anymore...not with Planeshift, I wouldn't think it'd be hard at all, BUT...being a Sorcery does have its drawbacks. We'll have to see about it.

Planeswalker's Mirth, well...good ol'fun. 3W to gain X life? I mean, HOW much life could it possibly give you per use, 4, 5, 8? Even at 8, it wouldn't be THAT big'a deal. I assume this will be the weakest of the Planeswalker's cards.

Planeswalker's Mischief - now THAT is good. Sorceries and Instants might not be THAT big, so we'll have to wait until time reveals...but, so far, this looks to be very promising. At the cost of 3U, to play ANY Instant or Sorcery card from opponent's hand for free, is something to be very proud of. I know this will see play, at least in the beginning, and then...it will either be a good card, or a fair card. I don't think it could ever be bad.

Planeswalker's Fury is not bad also. This is probably the most playable Planeswalker card if I have to judge by the naked eye. Even revealing a 2 or 3 casting cost card WILL be something good. That's 2 or 3 damage a turn, or at least, in the beginning.

One thing I'd like to point out that, with those Planeswalker's cards, Howling Mine will be something big, especially with Planeswalker's Mischief. That's just my opinion.

Finally, Skyship Weatherlight is not bad at all. Its cost is very reasonable, its ability is effective, and it regenerates (Note that I've never seen a non-creature permenant that has the ability to "regenerate", is that even possible?).

Well, there you have it.

[Edited by DÛke on 01-13-01 at 09:47 AM]

P

Purple_jester

And yes, it IS technically possible for any permanent to have regeneration. This would allow it some respite from being destroyed. In the Skyship's case, Disenchants will have to wait till the opponent is tapped out. ;)

A

Apollo

Draco wouldn't work in reanimation decks. It never hits the graveyard, as it's removed from the game instead.

C

Chaos Turtle

Draco!

I got one thing to say to you!

My name is Ash Ketchum! I'm the greatest Magic player in Pallet Town! Prepare to do battle!

Viashino Heretic, I choose you!!!

I

Istanbul

Imagine Draco used in Sneak Attack decks. :)
Allied Strategies is just another card where WotC BEGS us to make five-color decks. Me, I'm stocking up on Harrows and Silverglade Pathfinders...
Planeswalker's Mirth looks mediocre at best.
Planeswalker's Mischief looks COOL.
Planeswalker's Fury looks decent.
Skyship Weatherlight could be fun, but Pillage will give it fits. I can't think of any deck this would fit into, ESPECIALLY since it gives you back a creature at random.

Skyship Weatherlight should have allowed you to put any copies of Sisay, Tahngarth, Squee, Hanna, Orim, and Gerrard (if he gets a card) into play from your library, too. :)

D

DÛke

Skyship Weatherlight should have allowed you to put any copies of Sisay, Tahngarth, Squee, Hanna, Orim, and Gerrard (if he gets a card) into play from your library, too.
<laughing> It's enough that WotC contaminated the cards with the "art of Gerrard and Friends"...now, if WotC is stupid enough, they could make the cards "interact" the way they would if it was in the storyline. Like, you can't play the Weatherlight unless you control Gerrard or Sisay! Don't ask! WotC could be stupid enough to do such a thing (or not). :)

Draco >>is<< good in Sneak Attack decks. I think Draco is a very limited card. It's cool once it's in play, but how does it come into play - and stay? That's the question...would Show and Tell be an option? I don't think it could get anymore disgusting than playing a Draco...

D

Duel

Um, yes, it can get more disgusting. An illusions of grandeur followed by a donate next turn is pretty disgusting......

then where do you use Draco?
Tinker, anyone?

I

Istanbul

The inherent problem with getting Draco into play by alternate means is that he still has an upkeep cost of OUCH.

The best way to use him is to get around summoning sickness. *coughcoughfirescough*

D

Dead

Draco with sneak attack is reasonable...but if you have an artifact mutation to follow up with then you've got the beginnings of a powerful deck. Maybe throw in pyromancy as well.

Just watch out for those planeswalker cards- don't want them doing the 16 to you...

F

fuzzy510

Am I seeing this right? Draco costs 16?????? Ouch. Wouldn't that make it the most expensive Magic card (Including BFM from Unglued)?

D

DÛke

...right Fuzzy. Though, I wouldn't call BFM "...a Magic card".

First, there came Urza's Rage, with Kicker...it's a 12 mana spell. Now, there's Draco...I think WotC are trying hard to push some limits here...

A

Apollo

Actually, according to Mag2, Draco doesn't have an upkeep cost. So, Tinker would work (assuming Mag2 is correct).

I

Istanbul

Nasty little idea for ya...
Pay R. Sneak out Draco.
Pay G. Play Giant Growth. Attack with 12/12 Draco.
Pay 1, sacrifice Draco, play Phyrexian Dreadnought.

Owwwwww....

[Edited by Istanbul on 01-15-01 at 12:31 AM]

F

fuzzy510

That would hurt. A lot. People are just going to find creative ways to get Draco out without paying the 16 with 16 lands. Illegal Lotus deck, anyone?

M

Multani

These cards seem pretty good, especially Allied Strategies and Draco.

All of you people are trying to get Draco into play either without paying it's cc or trying to lower it's cc. My suggestion is to use elves, Priest of Titania, and perhaps land fetching cards paired with Exploration. As I see it, Draco will benefit Green the most, at least in casual games....

I

Istanbul

It may only be a small boon, but...Mana Flare means you only need 8 lands to play him.

D

Darsh

My take on these.
Draco-Kill me! oh please kill me!
Allied Strategies-I like it.
Planeswalker's Mirth-Mostly useless
Planeswalker's Mischief-Wasn't there a card in Prophecy like this?
Planeswalker's Fury-Pretty cheap reusable direct damage...what more do you need?
Skyship Weatherlight-...interesting?

F

fuzzy510

That's true. Mana Flare would work. Shame that it's not in 7th though...

D

Draconis

So far the best ideas for use of Draco have been Volrath and Pyromancy... Of course, Volrath's normally awful, but... 22/20 is quite tempting...