Don't know if anybody cares, but...

F

fuzzy510

If you happen to read "TopDeck", the magazine formerly known as Duelist, I happen to know that it will no longer be made after issue 16. I don't know if they plan to rename it like they did with Duelist, but I don't think so. Like I said, this is just FYI.

C

Cateran Emperor

Ayup. As far as I know, there are no plans for a new magazine just yet.

They really should do what the players want and start printing Duelist again. Ahhh, Magic only would sell very well indeed.

Z

Zadok001

Magic is popular.
WotC releases Duelist, a magazine catering to the Magic buying crowd.
Pokemon becomes a new fad among younger kids.
WotC releases Pokemon.
In the interest of increasing magazine sales, WotC starts putting Pokemon in the Duelist.
WotC realizes that they want to focus at least half of the Duelist on Pokemon.
WotC shuts down the Duelist in favor of Topdeck, basically renaming the same magazine as an excuse to add lots of Pokemon.
As all fads eventually do, Pokemon goes away.
WotC takes away the new magazine.

Geez.

How silly is that?

A

Apollo

Very stupid. The dumb thing is, as I recall, we all said this would happen when they first canceled the Duelist. Obviously, WizCo was either too stupid to see it or didn't care.

But losing TopDeck is really no big deal. I just wish they would bring back the Duelist.

F

fuzzy510

I've heard rumors of Wizards continuing some of the feature from TD on their web site.

F

fuzzy510

Don't know about that Gerode. I don't remember what happened after the Duelist stopped being printed. They might have planned to put it on the net, but made TopDeck instead...

I

Istanbul

TopDeck was always mediocre at best. I won't miss it very much. I'd like to see an online magazine, but I doubt we will. What with the Pokemon fad dying, maybe WotC will realize that they need to get Back To Basics (grin) and give us back a fully M:TG-related zine.

And maybe monkeys will shoot out of my butt.

D

Duel

I think that duelist was much better than topdeck. Sold better too. They should remake it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
fuzzy: I also remember hearing about how the Duelist was supposed to go online, or at least parts of it on WOTC's website. For me, that meant yet another site to go to so I haven't bothered to see if they've actually done that.

But I agree with everyone's assessment that the Duelist was better. But I also think that it won't come back because I don't think the circumstances have changed for the better; the reasons why they got rid of the Duelist still hold, and worse yet, the rumored cutbacks of Magic staff don't help (I mean, a periodical is probably the first place they'd come from).

G

Gerode

I was thumbing throught the last Duelist issue (Mercadian Masques Guide around Halloween) and found this ad.

"Duelist isn't dead-it continues a ghoulish, undead, hell on earth existence as Duelist Online, your source for news and strategy covering the entire TCG and electronic game industry. Crawl, slither, or shamble your way over to http://www.wizards.com/duelist before it's too... OH MY GOD WHAT'S THAT ON YOUR SHOULDER?!"

N

Nyx

I've read a few issues of the online Duelist. It's basically a table of contents for every issue, and two or three of the least popular stories scanned and OCRd.