Break Pack Hunt?

C

Crackdown

Pack Hunt

Color=Green Type=Sorcery Cost=3G NE(R1)
Text(NE+errata): Search your library for up to three cards with the same name as target creature, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then shuffle your library. [Oracle 00/10/24]

I keep seeing a few copies of this card in my binder and wondering under what circumstances it could be well played in T2. Belbe's Portal could be useful.

It would be nice to find my copies of Mageta the Lion and put them in hand I suppose, but it strikes me that there should be a more creative use of this card.

Or maybe it's just my imagination running wild.

On the other hand, Pack Hunt - find your other four Birds, Hunted Wumpi, Rhox, Thicket Elemental ... Hmmm it could be great fun.

[Edited by Crackdown on 01-04-01 at 11:50 AM]

G

Griffith_se

How about a Maro-Geddon type deck?

There's another card, I think It's called Bifercate, or something like that, that will let You search Your libray for another Maro and put it play.

There are some other creatures that have a built in pack hunt type effect (to get Your hand full). The only ones I can think of right now is Nesting Wurm, and Howling wolf but I'm sure there are other one, its an elf I think.

Just some ideas, probably not good ones though.

[Edited by Griffith_se on 01-04-01 at 04:16 PM]

G

Gerode

Maybe Sneak Attack.

Isn't there a card "Discard a card from hand: Deal X damage to target, where X= converted mana cost of discarded card."? Is that Pyromancy? That might work.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

This could do well in Extended....

4 Priest of Titania
4 Sneak Attack
4 Æther Rift
4 Pack Hunt
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Skizzik
4 Maro
4 Bifurcate
4 Land Grant
3 Gaea's Cradle
4 Karplusan Forest
9 Forest
4 Mountain

Is this OK?

D

Duel

Aether Rift might make it REALLY good.'

You have a Rhox in play, and pack hunt in hand. You pack hunt it. Next turn, you discard (Surprise surprise) a rhox. They pay 5 life. Draw, play a non-rhox card. attack with rhox. Next turn, discard (surprise surprise) rhox. They pay 5 again, and die t your rhox....

D

Draconis

You want a screwed up way to abuse pack hunt?
Token generation is the way to go...
Specifically, Volrath's Laboratory.
Cast Volrath's Laboratory, naming, say, Palinchron.
Make your first token.
Pack Hunt the token...
Can you see where this goes?
Some friends and I worked through this when we found out about the fact that you can Pack Hunt Splinter tokens generated by Splintering Wind to get copies of Splinter (The Destiny artifact removal spell) into your hand.
Sadly, you apparently can't call a token creature 'Disenchant', 'Force of Will', 'Hymn to Tourach', or anything else that is the name of a non-creature spell, but anything else is fair game...

And I don't want to think about Pack Hunted Anarchists...

G

galtwish

This is a 60 card version of a 5 color deck abusing Pack Hunt & Bifurcate. You have to use creatures that are good in multiples on the board
4 Bifurcate
3 Pack Hunt
4 Wall of Roots
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Wall of Blossoms
4 Thieving Magpie
4 Ophidian
4 Tradewind Rider
4 Force of Will
1 Foil
4 Tropical Island+2 Reflecting Pool-or a combo of cheaper alternatives like Undiscovered, City, or Gemstone Mine
6 Island
8 Forest

just a start, but Pack Hunting the cards drawers or Tradewinds is pretty disheartening for the opponent.

D

Duel

That works, with volrath's laboratory?
You could bounce it and draw out every hard in your deck......

Leaping laboratories, batman!

J

Johnny Lai

Pack Hunting Goodness!

4 Phyrexian Plaguelord
4 Deranged Hermit
4 Gravedigger
4 Bone Shredder
4 Yavimaya Granger
4 Wall of Roots
4 Wall of Blossoms
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Pack Hunt

4 Treetop Village
4 Bayou
8 Forest
8 Swamp

I just threw this deck together off the top of my head, but wow, this deck is some card advantage machine! Look that the mad synergy between all the cards. All the creatures either give you more mana or net you card advantage: in other words, they're all good prosects for the Pack Hunt.

Other card prospects:
Masticore - would be amazing in this deck with Pack Hunt and Wall of Blossoms! But, I didn't put in because it's no fun using it.
Spike Feeder - this may still be needed maindeck.
Nekratal - close call between this and shredder. Shredder won out b/c only one black and can chose to let die and reuse with Gravedigger.
Multini's Acolyte - more card drawing creatures to make Pack Hunt broken card advantage!
Ravenous Rats
Uktabi Orangutan
Survival of the Fittest