x1 Misdirection
x3 Cremate
x3 Tefri's Response
x1 Tsabo's Decree

tell me what you think

[Edited by Vyncent D'Jesus on 01-03-01 at 05:44 PM]

D

Duel

I'd be worried about speed. Fires can get a fires out before you can counterspell it. Derms provide a problem unless you have a nether spirit and get it out by turn 3 as well, which means being tapped out, which no deck likes. Especially not control.

I'd throw in 4 rituals. They allow for a first turn spirit, a second turn spite/malice or FoF, and a third turn bribery.

The sideboard should probably include at least oen tsabo's decree, which is better against counter-rebel or rebel than massacre.

Brainstorm is not as good as opt. Use that instead.

V

Vyncent D'Jesus

well about the not getting a nether spirit by turn 3...thats why i have the foils...counter an early spell with the discarding an island and a nether spirit...bringing the spirit into play

but thanx for the help i think i will add the rituals

G

Gizmo

I disagree. The Rituals are just a combo with one of your other cards, but you end up using two cards to do one effect. Just playing more cheap cards would bring the deck to be more effective in the early game without losing your card advantage.
For me the main problme is that too many of your cards are very conditional (there are only so many times thay you wll be able to usefully cast them) and yet you have 4 copies of them all. You want to draw the card when you need it, yes, but you are also giving yourself the chance to draw it when you don`t need it, and the spells (especially the expensive ones) are so narrow in purpose that they are useless if the game plan goes even slightly wrong.

2 Power Sink
4 Counterspell
4 Undermine
3 Foil
2 Spite/Malice

3 Recoil
3 Tsabo`s Decree

3 Nether Spirit
2 Bribery

4 Opt
4 Accumulated Knowledge
3 Fact Or Fiction

4 Underground River
6 Swamp
12 Island

The land is light, but with 4 Opt and 4 Knowledge you are playing as though your deck were only 50 cards so it should be plenty.

SB
4 Massacre
3 Perish
2 Cremate
2 Tsabo`s Web
2 Dominate
2 Terror

D

Duel

Spite/malice strikes me as extremely versatile. why isn't it in here with 4 copies?

V

Vyncent D'Jesus

hey Duel...there is 4 copies of Spite/Malace in there

C

Cateran Emperor

I haven't played B/U for quite some time, but several of the players in my area have come up with an unorthodox pair of creatures to use: Evil Eye of Orms-by-Gore and Glacial Wall.

Yes that's right, a wall in a constructed deck that doesn't produce mana or draw cards. For anyone who doesn't know:

Evil Eye of Orms-By-Gore
4B
Creaure - (I honestly don't remember, but I think it is Evil Eye or some such thing)
Creatures you control cannot attack except for Evil Eye.
Evil Eye cannot be blocked except by walls.
3/6

Glacial Wall
2U
Creature - Wall
0/7

Naturally, they dropped the Nether Spirit, but it works remarkably well against Fires and Rebels (the only really big beatdown decks right now)

D

Duel

Well, rebels have trouble with both cards. Big butts are good things, and these creatures provide them. Both survive derms and Jhovall Queens. But I think they lack versatility. If you use those, I would add in a thrasher or a pestilence for mass removal.

G

Gizmo

But if you run creatures your Nether Spirits get pretty crappy.

V

Vyncent D'Jesus

yes i am not putting any creatures in this deck except for the nethers...but i will think about the fact that lots of cards are conditional

i was thinknig about putting in 2 lobodomies...any comments on that

D

Duel

Yes. They're GOOD. But slow.
You must go first for lobotmy to be effective. AND you must cast it before one of these hits:
Burst
Geddon
Waters
Fires
Derm
Blinding Angel

you see the problem here? None of the really big threats cost more than 5. Meaning that if you do not cast it o turn 4, chances are it's really bad. Plus most of these decks have either counterspells or acceleration.

V

Vyncent D'Jesus

yes...
...what kind of accelerations do oyu think i can put in here to make this deck faster...

G

Gizmo

Personally I would avoid Lobotomy in the maindeck, because it is unlikely to catch anything really important, and tapping out to cast it would leave you counter-less. Personally I think the deck should just run more countermagic, that`s usually a good enough answer.

D

Duel

*cough*Urza'sRage*cough*

I HATE this card. Anyways I always will.

Besides, when given the choice between disruption and counterspells, I will run 8 counterspells and the rest disruption.

G

Gizmo

I`d go the other way, but with the number 0 replacing the number 8. Disruption is terrible compared to Countermagic. They don`t tap out, and they can topdeck another good card. If Addle tapped lands in their upkeep equal to the casting cost of the spell your discarded, THEN it would start to be on a par with countermagic.

Rage is no sort of threat - they need 12 land. You kill them before they get that.

D

Duel

Yeah, I know. But I think armageddon is worth at least 2 counterspells.