Slowly, but surely...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Zadok1: Forgive me, but I seem to remember that this group came into being more because of the reaction of the Waylay errata and 6th rules (last summer) than in reaction to the bannings of the Urza block which occurred way before. I could be wrong though; I'm only going by when this site came up, which was what, July? August?

Gizmo: I didn't BIASED :) rants, but really, anything to keep up what's going in Magic world. Gossip, I guess. Like the latest Pro faux pas and controversy and stuff like ChasDen's article on WOTC's seemingly monopoly on the market. Of course, a lot of replies are drivel... it'd probably take too much time than it's worth to filter them for posting (which is why the site probably posts all of them).

Oh, and stuff like where'd you hear the Dojo is bankrupt? And would that be actually Psylum and its sister sites or just the Dojo?

All: My thoughts to Zadok triggered another thought <collective groan>. Perhaps it's an idea for the voting booth. How many people now play with Waylay, and with the errata? And since there aren't any apparent broken cards in MM and Nemesis, do people consider the sets on par with the much maligned Fallen Empires and Homelands sets?

G

Gizmo

Re: Dojo Bankruptcy
I think it was on the Meridian
Magic (ex-Legion_Public) mailing list, although nobody has said anything to confitrm that yet so it remain unsubstantiated rumour as yet.

There was a huge strand about the best sets, if I remember rightly...back in a sec...
(Gizmo opens another browser window... click, click, click)
Yep, its in the Voting Booth - 'Favorite Set'.

FEmpires was okay, Homelands was unplayable trash from start to finish. I think only Autumn Willow FROM THE ENTIRE SET stands up to modern cards.

G

Gryphonclaw

* Gryphonclaw grabs a couple of paddles, rubs 'em together*

Clear!

*Gryphonclaw places them on either side of his head*

Whoooop!

I don't think I did that right.
Oh well, no damage done.

What was I going to say?

*Gryphonclaw frantically scans the thread*

Oh yeah,
Don't say that CPA is no longer as much of a necessity. It is true that Wotc has eased up on the cheese factor a bit, but the banning of dark ritual is proof enough for me that we still need to be here. Voting booth aside, I really do think that Necropotence should be the one that is banned. Channel was, for a very similar reason. The fact is that any card that allows you to pay x.....uh, just a sec.

Um, yeah. What I mean to say is that the CPA is necessary in that it allows us to know that there are other players than the cheeseheads that are all too often dominating the scene. I know that this isn't in the mission statement, but I think most other members would agree with me.

I hope that this alliance can be broad enough to incorperate that.

Not that I wouldn't like to slap Wotc around with a trout every now and then. :)
Maybe a new message/post should be started on this. The current start is a little intimidating.

[Edited by Gryphonclaw (04-05-2000 at 10:58 AM).]

G

Gizmo

(Smash, Tinkle, Crash)
Breaking News - 95% certain Psylum are dead!

Got the lowdown here:
http://x35.deja.com/threadmsg_ct.xp?thitnum=1&mhitnum=1&CONTEXT=954865714.1873412099

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not saying that the need for the CPA has diminished or declined (can't think of the right word right now). However, it seems to be a more reactionary force and by the time an issue has come up, it's more debating it after the fact than preventing it or reversing it (at least to what I'm seeing). Take Dark Ritual. There was a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of banning it but to my knowledge there wasn't anything sent to WOTC expressing CPA's views (and I don't know if having WOTC reps surfing here counts as "official notice" because we all had differing views). When it actually happened, more than one of us was surprised and there was more debating but again, nothing really sent to the powers that make it happen.

Since it seems that it's the tournament scene that drives bannings, it would make sense for someone to monitor such sites to keep on top of "late-breaking" news and try to pre-empt such issues. However, since most of us are casual (Gizmo the notable exception), going to such places seems out of character. What do you think?

The bottom line is that I don't feel CPA is doing what it set out to do in the very beginning. That could be all right anyway; maybe what we have here now is fine. But if you really want to keep the CPA name and mission, something more needs to be done (or keep us posted if it IS being done).

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I agree!

But it seems that the Founders do not. Maybe the mission statement DOES need revision, after all.

What say you, Founders?

TomB
CPA Member

T

The Magic Jackal

I have to agree with Spiderman.
Several months before dark ritual was banned, there were several threads debating the power of Dark ritual. There were also 0 on the cpa (I was a drifter then).

I do think it would be beneficial to have someone mention all of the important events happening in the magic world. I would be happy to do it, but i have gotten the impression that the cpa does not want to turn into the dojo message boards. Gizmo does seem to have the best qualifications, but I haven't seen him around lately? Does this mean I'm the only non-casual player at the cpa?

M

Mundungu

I heard from the CPA at the very beginning of its creation and was reading about it at the time.
I dont remember who had written an article to the dojo speaking about it (probably one of the founders).

At the time I was against the "activism" part of CPA's mission, fight against the banning powers and so on.
Even the name is to aggressive to my taste.
CP Alliance really sounds like a fighting group.

A few month later (actually only recently) I came to here and liked what I saw. Calm, quiet yet professional and to the point.
Sounds more like Casual Player Association than alliance. And this is what I like about here. Per definition, and that was my argument at the time, if you are a casual player, the inpact of rule change should be minimal. Let the pros and fervent tourney players do the fighting.

Of course we should comment, positive or negative on wizards and DCI, and also hopefully have influence on them. But not in the "flaming" way. It is always easy to criticise.

CPA members are more the "suggestive" type. Criticise is easy. Propose new ideas or expose facts and preferences is the harder way but sure the better.

To keep it short, I love the CPA for the way it is now. If it was supposed to become a reactionary group against the powers, then I would probably leave. Casual and activist should not fit to my taste.

There might be some legal apects involved but I would even wish the CPA would change its name to Casual Player Association. Which it is now.

Apologies If I hurt some peoples feeling, that is just the way I feel.

Apologies as well for my poor writing style, but I havent time to reread and perfect it, and english is, after all, not my primary nor even secondary language

[Edited by Mundungu (04-08-2000 at 08:19 AM).]

Z

Zadok001

Mostly, I agree with Mundungu. I like the CPA's current name, though, it sounds... Well, effective. 'Association' seems almost like a beurocratic (mangled spelling) word, whereas the CPA is anything but. It just seems to me like Alliance is more fitting to us, as well as more in theme with the Magic world on a whole.

"Hey, don't complain, we were originally the 'Sengir Army...'"

A

Apollo

Wow, has this post ever gotten off-topic. I was thinking, the only thing that I really looked forward to on the Dojo any jmore was Casual Fridays. Alongi probably has an article or two written already that never got posted. I was thinking that he might want to write for another site if the Dojo has gone belly up. And what better place then one for casual players. It would be pretty cool if he wrote here. Anyway, that was just a thought.

Apollo

Z

Zadok001

Alongi writes for Starcityccg.com alongside Gizmo. He even went and posted an article stating that he, too, has lost contact with everyone from the Dojo.

"I'd like proof of Pyslum's bankruptcy..."

M

Mundungu

I actually sent a mail to Alongi asking him if he would like to join and post articles here.
His rubric was always, after all, casual player orientated.

I had a very nice reply from him stating that he actually browsed the CPA quite often.

By the way, I have to say he is a very cool guy and ALWAYS, responded to all the mails I sent him, for deck, cards or other ideas. Not like other players.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Apollo: I claim full responsibility for this thread going off-topic. :)

Mundungu: I see what you (and Zadok) are saying, but from what I remember, when the founders were creating the CPA (I was there too) it seemed like it was going to have a more active role in creating cards or have a say in bannings/restrictions and errata. Definately not in a "flaming" way, and probably the calm, rational suggestion-type way you're saying, but an active way, nonetheless. From what I'm reading from your post, it seems like you expect CPA's role to criticize in the above mentioned ways (or discuss) and hope that the WOTC lurkers carry it on back to headquarters.

If that's the case, what makes this place different from any other board? Every Magic site is going to have their opinions on Magic. We had it on the Dojo. Why didn't we stay there (or most of us, until the new boards went down)?

Again, I'm not saying the CPA should march with flags and posters on WOTC and demand to have our ideas implemented, there and now. But I am saying that either the CPA has lost its direction from the beginning, or it's been this way all along and people were misled to its direction from the beginning. So far, TomB, Jackal, and I think it's the former and you and Zadok think it's the latter.

Does anyone remember when Baron Sengir put up the first "advertisment" of the CPA on the Dojo (among others) and Kai Hortmann? replied to it, starting off a little heated exchange for a while? That exchange is also what formed in my mind what the original direction of the CPA should have been. I could be wrong, though. :)

O

Ophidian

Sorry to break it to you guys (well, you might already know), but the dojo is going through 'changes' and it will be bigger and better. I don't know if this is good or bad, but I just wanted to share the info. So it is not dead, just in a coma. hehe

Z

Zadok001

Yeah, I read that on MtgNews too. However, I question that Psylum will still be in charge. If they were, I would think such a post would be put on the _Dojo_, not sent in an obscure email to MtgNews and spread to the public from there.

"Not to mention a bunch of Pyslum sites dropped at once..."

T

The Mox

All I can say is...........it's about friggin' time! The Dojo is the scourge of Magic posting all these net decks that turn any pocket millionaire into a gaming genius. Maybe with the Dojo finally dead and gone, the net decks will start dying too. And in it's ashes, the casual players can rise up and reclaim what is ours to begin with!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mox: Hate to say it, but as long as there's the internet with Magic sites, you're going to get "net decks". The Dojo was just one of the most recognized sites but there's plenty others where you can get decklists. Heck, I think even the Sideboard (a WOTC site?) posts the top 8 of the tournaments they cover. You just have to know where to look and keep ahead of the game.

D

Duel

Can you say that, mox? Ever made a Zvi deck and seen it go off? The dojo was friggin cool! I just got in too late...