Shadows of Pain

G

Gerode

Shadow, IMHO, is the best creature cycle-ability. This is one of my oldest decks, and to fit the Shadow theme, it is completely Rath Cycle. Without any opposing creature removal, this deck can kill consistently by turn 6, dealing over 10-15 unblockable damage per turn afterwards. Despite a weak defense, the shadow offense can outrace most casual decks, and has 8 creature removal spells to slow your opponents down.

Shadows of Pain

23 Creatures
2x Dauthi Ghoul
4x Dauthi Marauder
4x Dauthi Warlord
Gets very big, very fast.
3x Wall of Souls
Very effective. Usually speeds up my opponent's death.
4x Soltari Champion
Glorious Anthem in Rath Cycle.
4x Soltari Foot Soldier
1x Soltari Visionary
1x Wall of Essence
Wall of Souls is better, but life never hurts.

16 Spells
2x Dark Banishing
4x Death Stroke
2x Diabolic Edict
This deck can't handle more than one or two attackers at a time. Gotta have removal.
1x Disturbed Burial
Your hand gets depleted after several turns.
1x Hatred
New addition to this deck; I don't think I've ever casted it. My group's Magic Asskicker-In-Chief recommended this.
1x Scare Tactics
1x Allay
1x Disenchant
3x Hero's Resolve
No more fatties trampling over your walls, or no more Fire Mages Shocking your interdimensional friends.

21 Lands
11x Swamp
10x Plains

One characteristic that makes this deck interesting is a sort-of psychological advantage. Because only the Dauthi Marauders have their power marked above 2, the shadow army may appear smaller than it actually is. The effects of Dauthi Warlords and Sotari Champs sometimes go unnoticed until the damage-dealing phase.

This deck is possibly my best dueling deck, but its effectiveness declines with the number of players. There's always someone who doesn't like shadow, or who gets a God Hand, or likes to swarm the person with one defender. And because this deck often plays like goldfish with a turn limit, it is easy to tell the outcome of the game early on when playing against certain decks.

D

Darsh

I'd change the Mauraders to Horrors 2/1 Shadow Cannot be blocked by white creatures, take out two Foot Soldiers and replace them with Crusaders, and use Wall of Glare instead of Essence.

G

Gerode

The Foot Soldiers are my only 1cc-drop, and I've tried Crusaders without much success. This deck rarely has enough disposable mana to make the Crusaders worthwhile.

I'll try changing 2 Marauders into Horrors and see what happens. The Marauders don't compare to Warlords and Champs, but the BB Horrors casting cost may create a problem.

And are there more effective creature removal spells in Tem/Str/Exo?

D

Darsh

The Horror's have a 1B casting cost, as for the other question I'll look it up.

Although you could use Dauthi Jackals as semi-creature removal.

D

Darsh

Nope, there aren't any more effective creature removal, the best I could find was Smite...which wouldn't work at all in this deck.

D

Duel

*cough splutter*

No effective removal?
DARK BANISHING
THE black removal spell....

CURSED SCROLL
Okay, I know it's costly, but dammit, man, it's good.

Besides which, I'd simply pump to 4 banishings, and that SHOULD be enough

Failing that, you may want to use Orim's Prayer, to help against weenie swarms.

D

Darsh

He asked if there was any OTHER effective creature removal BESIDES the one's he already had, and all Cursed Scroll would be is an extra 2 damage after turn 3, and the mana would be better used to cast more creatures.

G

Gerode

I don't need more removal, but I wanted to see if there were cards I overlooked.

D

Densmore

shadow is the best mechanic for creatures there is,and to best take advantage of it id say just go straight black.
something like:
4 dark rituals
4 dauthi horrors
4 dauthi warlords
3 dauthi marauder
4 dauthi slayers
4 diabolic edict
4 carnophage
4 bad moons
4 vampire hounds
4 unholy strength
21-swamps

the basic idea is to dark ritual out something dauthi with an unholy srength on it,or if you have a bunch of creatures in your hand dark rit out a vampire hound .

D

Duel

4 Dauthi Horror
4 Carnophage
4 Dauthi Slayer
4 Dark ritual
4 Scare Tactics
4 Lotus Petals
4 Black Vise
4 Priest of Gix
4 Unholy strength
4 Grave Servitude