Game Varient

M

Mundungu

Game varient idea

Ok guys, I had an idea the other day and I would like to put it forward to you for your review and input.
I never had the chance to play test it so maybe you will see things I oversaw.

The idea is to play simultaneously on multiple "planes". In each dimension the exact normal magic rules apply. So it is like playing two games of magic at the same time with some differences.

Each player has only one library of min 60 x #of planes cards (e.g. playing on two planes forces to play with 120 cards minimum).

Each plane however has its own graveyard. Creatures, artefacts, lands cannot be switched from one plane to the other and if they affect the game they only affect their own plane (e.g. manaflare) unless they affect the player (e.g. ivory mask). A creature brought back in play from
the graveyard can only reenter play in the plane associated with its graveyard.

Targetted Instants and sorceries can target any permanent or token on any plane (e.g. a shock could target any creatures).
Triggered abilities can only trigger if the condition happen in their own plane (e.g. an avalanche rider coming into play can only distroy lands in its own plane).

Enchant world enchantments affect all planes.
Legendary permanent are legendary for all planes.
Apply any reserved / banned list if you want e.g. limiting type 2.

Each player starts with 30 or 40 life.
Each player draws 1 card per plane per turn (2 planes = 2 cards).

All other regular rules apply.
There is only one attack phase with the attack taking place on both planes at the same time.
One land per plane can be played each turn.

If you have any question or comment you are welcome.
I am certain that certain cards might cause problems but basically I think it is straight forward.

I believe that it might make game very interesting as attacking too hard on one side may rend you vulnerable on the other ....

thank you for your input and questions
I hope I was clear enough

G

Gryphonclaw

Sounds interesting, here's some ideas/suggestions.
Mana pool is distinct for each plane.
Say that the turn sequence is identical for each plane, i.e. when the upkeep ends, it ends for both planes.
However, I think that the attacks for the planes should be separate attacks, one then the other.
And I think that targetted spells should only target permanents on the same plane as the resources for their casting cost was paid.
And the base hand size should be more than 7, maybe 14, maybe something else.
How's that sound?

M

Mundungu

having too many cards in hand is just too dangerous and would just abuse too many cards e.g balck vise and equivalent.

7 is fine but to compensate draw more cards each turn seems ok to me.

Separating the mana resource between the two planes makes it too much of a separation and too much like playing two distinct games at the same time. I agree that is would permit to abuse legendary lands for example.

Other mana source as lands however should be restricted to their own plane (sol ring and the like).
Maybe only the basic lands should be "universal" e.g produce mana for both planes but ONLY to cast spells.
All non basic lands are limited to their own plane.

How about that ?

D

Dune Echo

Are you going to write this into an article once your idea is finalized?

M

Mundungu

Actually I really hesitated in writing it in form of an article, but as it is still in the development phase, I thought it was better to post it here. With all your input it could become a "CPA" format :)

Once we settle on something that holds ground I might volonteer to put it in form of an article and -who knows- forward it to other sites.

My biggest problem will be finding people to play test it though as I have nobody to try it out. So if some of you guys would like to try with some of your buddies that would be great.

M

Mundungu

We could even go ahead and create cards for the format,
plane shifter cards for example that allow you to move permanents,
enchant universe that affect all planes and so on ....

e.g.

Disturb the dead
2BU
exchange target graveyard with another target graveyard located in another plane.

Planar parallax cc: 6
artefact
fading 4

remove a fading counter from planar parallax, put target permanent into another plane. When there are no more fading counter on Planar Parallax, return all permanents in their original plane.

etc etc ...

But first finish the rules, then make cool cards ...

K

King of Cheese

I have one question? How are you going to fit a 3-4 plane game on 1 table? What if both people are playing decks like squirrel prison or tinker that take up a lot of space? If you are going to have 200 card decks, you might as well make it highlander to make sure that your ignoble soldiers and armistices are played.

M

Mundungu

well I mostly considered a 2 or 3 plane battle but even though you are right, it might take quite a lot of room...

Nothing for the cramped shop back rooms. At the same time, those game should last longer so they are more for, you are back home with your friends and are tired of play testing ..

just take two of your deck and mix them in one library and lets go ... Space can be an issue but nothing stopable. What about the Kitchen table, or largest play space in the world ... on the floor ? (as long as you have a nice carpet of course)
but I see your point