Not your typical Fires of Yavimaya idea...

D

Dune Echo

This may sound odd to be bringing up Waylay again, but does anyone realize just how strong a Waylay is with a Fires out? Or for that matter, an Angelic Favor. The idea is totally legal of course and presents no advantage to your opponent like Concordant Crossroads does. Of course Waylay isn't Type II legal, but for a casual deck, the idea seems really fun!

Any ideas to add to this thread, people?

-Dune Echo

God, I miss Waylay in it's original form! And no, we're not going to start arguing about it again! I know what it supposed to be anyway.

D

DÛke

...nice idea! I wonder if I should build a casual deck around it...I think there are a couple of cards that could be fun with Fires. Saproling Burst comes to mind also...it's even Green. :)

I think mostly any "instantanous" type tokens or creatures could be fun with Fires. Oh, and those fatsos that die out, like Skyshroud Behmooth...he could be a pain in the [insert body area] if played correctly. I mean, a 10/10 with Haste surely is not a laughing matter.

G

Griffith_se

Man lands, Hermit, Snake basket You could also use some Fervor's in addition. Maybe?

Note: Behemoth come into play taped, so You would need some way to untap it, Vitalize maybe.

[Edited by Griffith_se on 12-21-00 at 07:38 PM]

D

Dune Echo

Cateran Emperor: Actually, I was posting this just to put a general idea to the public.

DÛke: Yeah, Saproling Burst is very effective with Fires of Yavimaya, but we know that already! ;) Deranged Hermit could be a very viable addition to such a deck. The only problem is the dual GG in the cc and the echo.

Is there any other creatures that would work really well with type of idea?

D

DÛke

...Sacred Mesa comes to mind. It's good, to an extent; though, Waylay is still better...you did say it was casual :). Sacred Mesa is kind of fun.

A

Apollo

Just scanning through my binder, Phyrexian Processor is pretty good. If you've got the mana, a surprise 10/10 (or 12/12) pretty much ends it. Again, though, Waylay is a lot cheaper.

Ooh, ooh, I know! Breeding Pit!:)

D

Duel

Actually, you ruined my surprise! My instant-creature deck now needs rebuilding. boo-hoo.

C

Captain Caveman

There's no doubt that Saploring Burst is really good with a Fires in play but there are several
other cards that might be really good too.

Two non Type II that come to mind are: Priest of Titania & Deranged Hermit.

D

Duel

Hermit I already thought of, but I've found that pandemonium is almost always better.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

If you are using cards that aren't green or red in conjunction with the rest of them, Fervor is probably better anyway, mainly because of color requirements.

D

Duel

The bottom line is that few cards are better with Fires than they are with Pandemonium. Similarly, if you restrict yourself to t2, there are no better red or green cards with fires than burst.

N

Nyx

How about Inernal Genesis or whatever it's called, the one that turns the top card of your library into x 1/1 black critters where x is the card's converted mana cost?

Anything big and stompy with a good evasion ability, like the Tidal Kraken or the two-headed dragon. Rhox would also be fun.

But of the invasion cards, I like combining it with the voracious cobra. That's an unpleasant surprise attacker. Any of the guys with alternate casting costs, or free casting costs like the legates.

If you're not limiting yourself to those sets, then the Killer Bees are an outstanding green surprise attacker. They fly and they pump on green.

B

Bladefall

How about Shivan Dragon? A 5/5 hasting/flyer is really punishing. Or, Leviathan! Even though he does into play tapped, you can sac 2 islands to untap him..a 10/10 haster is pretty nice, but, you also have to sac 2 MORE islands for him to attack, ack, expensive little whale thingy, ah, nevermind, very bad idea. Rhox would be cool to..

D

Duel

I think you missed the point. This deck should cast instant creatures, and abuse them