FFIX

• Thread starter Thallid Ice Cream Man
  • Start date
T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Before I begin, I might warn you to not go around spouting some trash like "It isn't futuristic enough" or something in the way similar to many of the people I know.

At any rate, who here has played Final Fantasy IX? I have a lot to say about it so I'll leave this open for braod discussion.

C

Cateran Emperor

Futuristic FF setting = bad
Medieval FF setting = good

If I only had a PS...

N

nodnarb24

Since I don't have a playstation, I'm waiting for it to come to the PC. Does anyone know when that will be.

P

ptolomea

i have FFV,FFVI,FFVII,FFVIII,and getting FFIX for christmas... the game looks good and cant wait to play. hopefully it wont be a flop like FFVIII, cause that game sucked sooo much, it was so boring to play!

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I agree with Cateran Emperor's assessment.

It doesn't seem to bite so far. I'm at the beginning of disc three, and the only problems I have noticed about it are that a) it's too easy to get money and b) Nobuo Uematsu seems to have had a harder time coming up with good BGMs lately. Being somewhat interested in good video game music, this is a slight area of concern for me. I think that while this game is definitely better than FFVIII and, it could be argued (maybe, although I'm not going to get into this), FFVII, the older Final Fantasy games are probably better than it.

Anyway, I would like to use this opportunity (since it wouldn't fit in the Voting forum) to ask you all to list your favorite FFIX characters in order. I'd say that my favorite is probably Vivi, with Amarant at a close second, and that Rusty is just plain stupid.

C

Cateran Emperor

Easy answer there!

#1 Cecil, the Dark Knight from FFIV. Man did he rock! In terms of coolness, he wins hands down.

#2 Cecil, the Paladin from FFIV. Too bad he turned good, which turned his hair purple for some reason, but oh well. He was already noble as a Dark Knight.

#3 Oh wait, no more incarnations of Cecil :( Oh! I know! Kain, the Dragoon from FFIV. "Sproing!" sound effect for Jump was cool :cool:

Everybody else from FFIV comes after that. Then I guess all the other games' characters come in 5th, since I don't care nearly so much about them.

Or are we counting villains too?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Actually, I was just talking about controllable FFIX characters, but if you haven't played this game yet, you can talk about the older games too.

Playable (permanently) characters in FFIX:
1)Vivi (his black magic rocks!)
2)Amarant (good character design, very versatile - in battle, you sicko)
3)Zidane (the hero, but thieves really aren't that noble - look at fuzzy510 :D)
4)Quina (I so hungry....... !) )
5)Freya (dragon knights are just o.k., because there is no "sproing")
6)Dagger (supposedly she's hot, but so what?)
7)Eiko (annoying as a moomba on gysahl greens)
8)Steiner(clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang etc.)

Now for FF8:
1)N/A
2)N/A
3)N/A
4)N/A
5)Squall and Selphie (equally good)
6)the rest of 'em, the lousy beatniks

FF7:

1) Cait Sith (A mog doll is such a fashion statement! j/k:) )
2) Red XIII
3) Vincent (I cared more about his influence to the story than Cloud's)
4) Cid
5) Aeris (ok character all around)
6) Cloud (scrub)
7) Tifa
8) Barret - In the interest of not being flamed, I'm not going to post what I truly think of this character, because otherwise someone would inadvertently distort the meaning and make me out to be something I'm not. If you feel it absolutely necessary, PM me, but I don't want to be misunderstood, as that would create large problems. However, he's not a very good fighter anyway. After the greater portion of the first disc, his limit breaks become almost worthless.
9) Yuffie (I literally named her "I'mStupid". She's gotta be stupid to be worse than my assessment of Barret.)

I don't know enough about the rest of them [the FF games] to rate the characters, except that in FFTactics, Orlandu is the best hands-down.

B

Bladefall

Ok, first off, I hated FF7 & FF8. I hate the futuristic games. Ok, now that thats over. I LOVE FF9. The characters are actually likable. The storyline is great. And, it gives an actual use for EYE DROPS!! When was the last time you saw that??? My top 5 fav characters (so far) in order...

1) Vivi: His black magic rocks.
2) Beatrix: Extremely powerful! Stupid shock kills me every time..
3) Zidane: Some nice abilities that help stealing items. I've got some good stuff from those monsters.
4) Freya: Awesome, when she's tranced and you jump she stays up there and just fires spears. Basicly, shes inincable when tranced.
5) Steiner: Yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but he's funny, and has some powerful magic that sword of his! (which right now is an Ice Brand)

Final Fantasy Tactics!?! MY FAV GAME OF ALL TIME!!! Beat that darn game 8 times, workin on the ninth. So much stuff steal, and find, the chaos blade, secret clothes (speed +2!), the gengi(sp?) equipment (which has to be stolen from Elmdor). Here are my top 3 characters...

1) Orlandu: Just an awesome character. Powerful sword magic, and very fast.
2) Ramza: During the late game, make him a squire, with 2 swords, and equip him with 2 excalibers....I beat the final boss in 2 hits!!
3) Beowolf: Yeah, its pretty surprising, but just give everyone (the enemies of course) high faith, and blast them all with your wizard! Higher faith=More damage from magic attacks.

Both are great games.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

So how far are you in the game? I presume you are near the beginning of disc two. Are you far enough to spoil anything? If so, please don't. It sounded like you would in the last post, but fortunately you didn't say too much. That's as far as you go, though.

Sorry if I'm being pushy, but I absolutely hate people who spoil things about RPGs. Whenever I get an RPG, my brother invariably gets a guide or something and spoils the entire story. It's one of my pet peeves, to say the least.

T

TaLoN

FFIX is one of the best FF i've played. I'm in the middle of Disc 3, i have a Sea chocobo.
Characters
1. Vivi-black mages rule
2. Kuja-The second best bad guy(sephiroth is first)
3. Zidane-mugging is fun :D
4. Choco the chocobo-chocobo hot and cold is fun!!
5. Dagger and Eiko-their summons are so cool
6. Steiner-With Vivi he rules, without hes not that good.
7. The rest-The aren't as good as the previous.
BTW how do you guys like the Ability system. I like it a lot, it's better than FFVIII's draw system and almost as good as FFVII's materia system.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

FFVIII's system was so cheap. After you have cast Triple-Meteor ten turns in a row with a Selphie with 255 magic, you know what I mean :D

B

Bladefall

In FF9 I'm about midway through disc 2. I didn't mean to spoil anything if I did :)

I just didn't like FF7 & FF8 because they were futuristic. Thats not a final fantasy. I can't stand either one of those games.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

that's OK Bladefall, TaLoN spoiled more than you did anyway....

T

TaLoN

if i spoiled anything. i really didn't think i would spoil anything but im sorry. anyway i think that FF9 is the greatest game. the old school towns and castles make it feel like a real fantasy.