what do you think of the direction wizards of the coast is taking with invasion

• Thread starter volrath evincar
  • Start date
V

volrath evincar

I agree to certain extent with k9 and yes they were
called guildmages now that you mention it the memory recalls itself...but you do see my point about the rehashing of older cards and the watering down of other older power cards of course it won't be long till we're all playing decks of 20 forests and 40 grizzley bears for lack of better cards to play with....

K

K9Archmage

ACtually, there are a few proficy cards that i like...

hoipa

V

volrath evincar

truth be known I really think there are quite a few good cards in the invasion set just not a lot of them I liked all of the cards in mirage and tempest
so when I see magic go down hill and not achieve it's true potential it bugs me a little....
I do like tangle and yawgmawths thinga majig that lets you play cards from the graveyard as well as a few others I just think they made to many cards gold and took some of the play value from other cards that could have other wise have made the set really awesome.....don't you think it's time for magic to go back to being badass and kuhl as hell with awesome cards for awesome mana costs and killer new abilities I think so!!!

F

fuzzy510

We're probably just impressed that Gold cards are back. Once the Invasion block rotates out, we'll be looking at it as just another set.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

So, let me get this straight Duel...

You like the Green apprentice, but not the red?

What?

Paying R to give a creature first strike is at least slightly inferior to paying B to make a player lose 1 life! Thornscape Apprentice is horrible! It is only even remotely useful in Limited. But there, Thunderscape Apprentice is better too.

At any rate, I was not initially pleased with the content of Invasion, it is true. However, it shows that many things that, it was thought, couldn't ever work, can now be effective. It's not a horrible set, it's just different.

D

Duel

Maybe, but the white ability is clearly the best one.
Green Apprentice is good because it has that ability.

Right behind white is the blue ability, which saves your creatures from dying.
Then there is green, which makes for a combat trick, keeps your creatues alive, and hurts if they overlook it.
Then red, which is, essentially, the same, only it doesn't deal the extra damage.
Then black. A 20-turn clock is not a great deal.

So, the red one has green and black. No other one rates to low. see?

M

MrXarvox

I love invasion. as for those of you who say it isn't very tournament-playable, I have a t2 deck that kills all the archetypes in the format. I won't reveal it, and it will probably stay that way for the lack of local tournaments. And it is almost entirely Invasion.

Invasion brought back gold; this I was looking forward to for quite some time. I was greatly pleased to see that the gold were there to discourage simple monochrome combo decks, like those silly UZ block decks with their broken cards that were never banned for unknown reasons.

I play black/red mostly, so Invasion with its lack of excessively undercosted cards allows me to take full advantage of nearly every card in the set. there is only one card in the whole set, that I find to be bad.

Kavu Agressor.
Yes, pay 3 for a 3/2 that can't block (bad card already)
OR, you could pay 7 for a 4/3 that can't block (WOW let me tell you)

that card sucks. the rest of the set, I say it is almost equal to tempest. and Tempest was the best set ever.

B

Baskil

It's actually a great sealed card. Granted, you'll probably never pay the kicker. But a three mana 3/2 in an aggressive sealed deck is nothing to scoff at.

D

Duel

*cough*Balduvian barbarians*Cough*

And THEY can block......

Okay, so agressor sucks. So what?
You saying that carnival of souls didn't?

D

Densmore

yup, invasion is pretty good.
Sealed play wih it alone should make invasion seem like pure gold in the eyes of casual players, and there is enough diversity and power behind the cards to make it the most worthwhile set since Urza`s Destiny.

[Edited by Densmore on 01-02-01 at 09:00 PM]

D

Duel

The one thing I dislike about invasion: it restricts you to friendly colors. Allied colors suck. I want enemies working together.

Yep, a regular peacemaker me....

C

Crackdown

Where is Magic Heading?

Darn good question, that. Clearly, WotC is seeking to broaden its appeal and make it an enjoyable game for non-tournament players as well as a competitive game for money players. That means doing a couple of things:

1. Bring in multi-color decks. This is a way to get people using lots of cards they buy in different ways as well as demonstrating some themes within Magic. Too many wasted cards in casual play is not good for overall sales.

2. Slow down the environment. Yep, Urza just about killed non-tournament buying of Magic cards and turned off a large number of people. WotC saw the sales data and where the sales were coming from. Slowing down the environment wasn't rocket science. It's simply no fun to be on the losing side of a turn 2 or 3 kill. Wakefield had that one correct from the beginning.

3. Bring in some new mechanisms and hope they don't break too many cards. Always. This keeps Magic fresh. Gating is quite interesting and Fleetwood Panther will see play in casual decks.

4. Trigger abilities without tapping, letting some cards produce multiple effects per turn. Masticore was a real problem and Rosewater indicated that they just didn't understand the power of it with the accelerated artifact mana. So, they use Flowstone Overseer now. Armored Guardian can bestow multiple tidings a turn without tapping. Don't like that card, too expensive? Well, wait. There will be others. (btw, in casual play, Armored Guardian is a fun card and the 5 toughness and lack of tapping offsets the additional mana cost for the ability).

5. Fantastic Creatures -- The five new dragons are really just the start. Magic wants to be able to advertise showing great artwork and creatures that will fire the imagination of new players. This is typical Hasbro strategy, and they are calling the shots.

6. Break Cheesy, abusive combos. About a year ago I recommended WotC print a card called Covetous Thief. OK, it was ridiculously powerful in breaking combos. But the trend at WotC was clearly there. Reprinting Lobotomy, Rootwater Thief, Anti-Rishadan Port cards . . . WotC has decided that instead of getting cards banned as too powerful in T2, they are going to print antidotes.

So, next time you find a Buh-roken card in Invasion Block, just wait a bit. The response card will be coming.

7. Um... I don't know. What do you think?

[Edited by Crackdown on 01-04-01 at 12:05 PM]