what do you think of the direction wizards of the coast is taking with invasion

• Thread starter volrath evincar
  • Start date
V

volrath evincar

I think this expansion is confused it has some power cards but overall seems to lack playability with most of the commons and uncommons very similar to when ice age came out what do you think?........

T

Teferi

yeah, i agree w/ you, many cards in this set are reprints or rehashes, so it doesn't really do anything new. It's like invaison is trying to be other sets and not itself

i just realized what i said made little sense, but it does to me

i'm not crazy, really...excuse me, i'm off to help my badgers once again

L

Landkiller

Invasion is the best set ever released.

Play Limited Invasion.

Draft it.

Have you ever had more fun at Magic?

It's impossible.

It blows every set since Tempest out of the water.

Every set has had steaming piles of dung.

Ask yourself, Do I want another Urza's Block?

And the answer is no. Combo = Helluva BAD.

Ow, Yawgmoth's Broken Whatchamawhozit is Bad, Masticore is Bad, etc.

These cards make broken decks.

Invasion is GOOD! Every card is playable, and every card is useful, and no one card is the Broken Card of Invasion.

Could a Magic Player ask for anything more?

N

NeuroDeus

Invasion is total "rubbish" Down here is a list of cards I like :

End of the list...

L

Landkiller

Ouch, that hurts Neurodeus...don't worry, I'll save your soul Inquisition style. With the Rackling and Black Vise!

Feel those calories burn!!

Anyway...do you like any Magic Cards?

What about

So, you like none of these

Yawgmoth's Agenda? Like it?
Global Ruin?
Blazing Specter?
Tinder Farm and the off-color sac lands?
Probe?

Don't you find off-color mana abilities intriguing?

I built an Homemade set based on the concept....

Confess Drat You! You like a Invasion card!

::The Rackling squeezes Neurodeus a little more::

V

volrath evincar

magic had it's golden age from alliances to exodus
then it took a giant dukey.....
how ever i did like legacy i thought it was broken and well balanced at the same time.....but again they need to pay more attention to the commons and uncommons we they release new sets and that is why i think that invasion is substandard

Killer Joe

Yeah, let's look at the 'crappy' uncommons in Invasion...

Fact or Fiction:
This is a stupid card, I mean, why should I want to dig five deep into my library to find stupid cards that I could've waited five turns for?

Sleeper's Robe:
Pffft! Why should I want to enchant MY creature with an evasion ability AND draw a card. Yeah, that's another stupid one.

Fires of Yavimaya:
Why waste the paper this thing is printed on? Giving 'Haste' to a creature is ridiculous, why should I hose my opponent one turn quicker before they come up with a solution? And don't get me started on that sacing ability of +2/+2, what a waste.

Split Cards
Look, if R & D couldn't make up their minds, then they shouldn't have printed these at all, why should anyone be allowed to have an OPTION of playing certain abilities? Besides that, creating a whole new kind of card is absurd, how dare they improve Magic, humph!

Kavu Chameleon:
A creature that challenges Blue! Man, R & D at Wiz Co. must have been on a 'sick leave' the day when they were supposed to learn that Blue Shalt Not Be Challenged!

Taplands
You know, since the dawn of Magic, players always wanted the 'Dual Lands' to come back, but didn't want them totally broken, but wanted them to be exactly the same as before, but not tortally broken, but wanted them to be the same as before, but....

Commons that are thee suckiest ever...

-Recoil
-Stormscape Apprentice
-Voldalian Zombie (Pro Green Guy)
yadda, yadda, yadda,....

V

volrath evincar

ok invasion has some good cards....they brought back gold cards which is good but since you can't really play all the gold cards in one deck it limits what you can play and since most of the good cards are gold cards it makes it hard for people who want to play mono color decks and then splash in a little of another color instead they have to put in a heluva lot of the second color which in a way decreases the integrity of the deck...and reduces potency how ever there are a # of rares which do seem to hold merit wouldn't you agree...??

U

Ura

Just my opinion, not that it ever tends to be worth much, but I think Invasion was an excellent set to bring out. Many of the cards are quiet playable, unless you go to PTQ's and other DCI style tournaments. But then theres never really alot of playable stuff from one set or those anyways,(urza's block excluded).
I think they took out the duldrum boring feeling or watching masques block beat on itself with rebel after rebel after rebel and the occasional rising waters. With Invasion coming into the fold you have many more possibilities to play with and things that are much more interesting to watch and play. Like the "fires" decks running dragon legends or two-headed's. Thats something that hasn't been seen in ages.

Secondly, if your playing a mono-color deck and you want to splash in some gold cards, then your no longer playing a mono-color deck and yes, you'll have to re-built your mana flow unless your playing green which can have things splashed to it quite easily. You don't play ALL the gold cards in one deck unless you intend to have alot of lands that can produce multiple colors of mana, like 2 of each of the original dual lands. Most of the good gold cards in the set are 2 color, with the exception of the dragon legends, and many of those only require 1 mana of a perticular color, so splashing isn't all that difficult. Things like City of Brass, the pain lands, and the new psuedo-duals all assist in this for people who aren't playing green decks. If your using green you've got BoP, Utopia Tree, Quirion Elves, and Harrow for starters, and thats just the T2 legal stuff.

Another pair of cards I'll add to Yellowjackets "complaint" ;) list even though they aren't used in tournies much, are still fun.

Armadillo Cloak: Why would I want to give a creature +2/+2 and have it trample, and then gain life for it dealing damage? That must be horrible, and only for 3 mana, sounds like another card for the incinerator.

Opt: What?! One blue mana to look at the top card of my library and either get it out of the way for the one below it or draw it? hmm, sounds pretty lousy.

However I will agree that there are several rares that are quite good and fun to play with in non-tourny environments. I've got a really cool Spreading Plague deck that I've been toying with.

F

fuzzy510

If you are a complete idiot, you must have realized that Wizards wants to bring back the multicolor deck. Will the next block be similar to the Invasion block...? That's another thread.

V

volrath evincar

I think magic has seen better days and yes I'ts true they are trying to bring back multicolor decks but they can't exclude the things in a basic expansion to allow for mono decks as well there needs to be more balance in that department to make it a truely great expansion like for instance legends now that expansion had power cards for mono-color and for muti-color decks and all the cards were eqaully powered and usable and desired for almost every player that is what I believe wizards needs to return to the basics....

C

Cateran Emperor

I love Invasion, it's the best set in quite some time. For me, it takes less time to write a list of cards from the set that I DON'T like.

Killer Joe

Hard to splash colors? Didn't Kai Budde splash in a second color (Green) for the Wax/Wane card?
If I'm right, then I think that he was playing Rebels (mostly White) and put a splash (more like a dash) of green to use as a cheap way of justifying Wax/Wane (you know, for the Fires Decks).

D

Dune Echo

volrath evincar: HUH???
for instance legends now that expansion had power cards for... muti-color decks and all the cards were eqaully powered
The only multi-colored cards in the set were the Legends. Please don't take this as condescending, but they were NOT power cards for the most part. Marhault Elsdragon, Kasmir the Lone Wolf, Jasmine Boreal, and Sivitri Scarzam were pretty weak actually. Look at Jedit Ojanen. Not power cards by a long shot. Almost all of these were easily overshadowed by the power rares of the time period and even now: Serra Angel, Sengir Vampire, and Thrashing Wumpus for example. There are a few notable exceptions for the most part (Dakkon for example), but no, they were not power cards.

Now in regards to the mono-colored, yes, Legends is a prime example of a power set, just look at Type 1 today, Mana Drain, Moat, Mirror Universe, The Abyss, Mephistoph...'s Chains, Underworld Dreams, etc. Legends was VERY powerful.

all the cards were eqaully powered
Uh, no. They weren't. Sea King's Blessing, anyone? Adventurer'e Guildhouse? Shelkin Brownie?

V

volrath evincar

ok then let's review......first of all if your looking for multi color powered cards from legends:nebacadnezzer,nico bolas,all the elder dragon legends or how about the....cards that are good for mono-color decks concordant crossroads,
hell fire and of course the other cards you mentioned plus probably some I've left out but if you look at the expansion as a hole of couse there were cards that sucked gold and mono-colored but overall it was fairly well balanced between multi-colored and mono-colored and still remains to be the standard for basic card design today even the common cards were exceptionaly strong so that to me seems balanced but as for invasion it not only lacks panash but it lacks overall balance,power and card appeal and it seems to possess a communist quality in the fact that it forces players that may desire to build an effective mono-color deck to use multi-color instead....but with legends you could do either effectively and thats what I meant by my previous statement...

D

Duel

Then think of invasions as a more balanced version than legends. Or a multi-colored tempest. Whatever helps, man.

Invasion commons/uncommons I like:

Fact or Fiction
Armadillo Cloak
Recoil
Disrupt
Every Apprentice but red
Kavu Chameleon
Fires of Yavimaya
Nomadic elf (It's just GOOD)
Harrow
Repulse
All the dual artifacts
All the dual taplands

Sound like just a few? It's about twice as many as I had in masques. And I was considered a fan of masques.

V

volrath evincar

ok like I said before I don't hate the expansion I'm
saying it could have been better....the artifacts are ok the dual lands are good harrow is a reprint disrupt is a reprint fires of yavimaya is a immatation of fervor (from weatherlight)the apprentice thing was done in mirage only they called them shamans instead and the rest of the ones you mentioned are actually pretty kuhl but still there is a lot of bad mixed with the good.....

K

K9Archmage

I despise both invasion and proficy. I only like the old sets: fallen empires,homeworlds.

HOipa