Magic only, or other CCG's as well

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering how everyone would feel about this:

Should the CPA site deal strictly with Magic, and Magic-related topics, or is there also room to cover other CCG's, like Battletech, Star Wars, L5R, and yes, perhaps even The Pocketmonster Menace, Pokemon?

I think there's room for all, and that by expanding our coverage to incorporate ALL CCG's we'd attract more attention as truly casual players, and possibly garner even more support.

Any thoughts?

TomB
CPA Member
"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref tutor

Ferret

Staff member
Nice idea, but I don't think it will be that great an idea - at least, not now. Right now the CPA is about helping casual Magic players out and effecting change w/ WotC...I'm not saying we shouldn't do it eventually, but we should see how it pans out w/ just Magic first...

-ferret

"...and I'll be DAMNED if I'm forced to learn about Pokemon!"

G

God

While I fully agree with you on Pokemon, Ferret, I do think that the CPA would gain a LOT more members and reputation if at some point in the future it started covering other CCG's

Ferret

Staff member
Thanks for the input, God. You might even be right, but for now, the one thing we all have in common is that we all play Magic. Magic is the only sport that has its Championship on Tv (if you can call 1am on ESPN2, Tv). People do play other games, but very few people talk about them - people talk about Magic. Magic is the hot topic.

Unfortunately, there are decisions being made that influence the game and the largest portion of the player/consumers of the game are being forgotten. That's what the CPA is about. If things go well, and the other non-Magic CCG's survive long enough to get that kind of attention then we should diviersify...for now, though, let's keep it small...

-ferret

"One game. One fight."

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I think you're probably right, Ferret, about not expanding our CCG coverage just yet. To be blunt, the other CCG's I mentioned have neither the following nor the issues that Magic has right now. In fact, I was more or less wondering if there might be room for them somewhere on the website as a casual forum for deck ideas and commentary, not really as front page issue material. I think that by attracting more readers to the site we would make our organization stronger.

And as far as the PocketMonster issue is concerned, no one would force you to learn Pokemon. I have an 8 year old at home, and a 5 year old, and that is what has "forced" me to learn about Pokemon. I've played the game (gasp) and I like it. It isn't as involved as Magic, or as complicated, but all the rules are "intuitive" enough for an 8 year old to understand, and it does have some strategy.

It's actually kind of fun.

I've also played the other games I listed, except for L5R, as well as Shadowfist, and in my youth I was a dicechucker. I think part of being a casual gamer is having a willingness to try out new games, and a tolerance for the others who play them. By being intolerant we invite others to take shots at us, and there's too many groups out there just waiting to take us all down for us to do the job for them.

TomB
CPA Member
"Oh no, God hates Pokemon too!"

W

Waubers

Right know I don't think we should be worrying about other games. Heck we don't even have a site up yet! I think the bulk (like 99%) of the people who visit our site will be there for magic. We can't spread ourselves to thin. Its going to be tough enough to keep our site operating on a day to day basis. Right now I think Magic should be it.

Waubers

Ya know what? Getting shocked by 110V doesn't hurt near as much as 220V. 220V goes right up to your arm pit and it stings whereas 110 just numbs!

W

Waubers

Right know I don't think we should be worrying about other games. Heck we don't even have a site up yet! I think the bulk (like 99%) of the people who visit our site will be there for magic. We can't spread ourselves to thin. Its going to be tough enough to keep our site operating on a day to day basis. Right now I think Magic should be it.

Waubers

Ya know what? Getting shocked by 110V doesn't hurt near as much as 220V. 220V goes right up to your arm pit and it stings whereas 110 just numbs!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on what the members play, if there's a big enough voice other CCG's could be added. However, this does seem to have been started as a primarily Magic board so perhaps it should stick to that.

On a related note, what about hints/help for computer games? Would that be going beyond the scope/mission of the board?

D

Dune Echo

Hey, this place is casual and if anyone has a question, I'll be happy to try to answer it, but I think that's as far as it should go.

Killer Joe

Okay, so tell me, who's been playing OverPower lately?

........anyone?..............anyone?

um, I could be Yellowjacket.

T

train

So what should I do with all my Spellfire cards????

By the way - this is a wonderful site!!!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't want them, sell 'em on eBay! :p

I've got tons of Wyvern cards and Dragon Dice gathering dust here... :)

J

Jigglypuff

Yeah, I'm sure that train could find a use for an extra 9 cents. You could do what I do with extra cards: put them in a big box and hide it somewhere.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, you never know how much someone's going to pay for it. Broken DVD player out of the box? $30. White porclein sink with black flecks? $50. Used ballet shoes? $25. You never know...

Or you could just give them to your kids to gnaw on... :)