Gold Cards

Killer Joe

Should R&D at WotC create new gold cards?
Should WotC re-print gold cards in 7th. Edition?
What was the best gold card ever made?

This is Yellowjacket.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I like gold cards Yellowjacket, and I'd love to see WotC make a few new ones with every new release (or, at least put them into the stand alones), but I think we'd need better dual lands in the Basic set to make using them more viable. It would be fun though.

I seriously doubt they'd put gold cards into the Basic set ever, though they essentially did just that with the Chronicles release. Maybe they'll give us Chronicles II?

The best gold card ever? PTP's would probably vote for something like Cadaverous Bloom or Stormbind. I've always liked neat effects like Elemental Augury myself, though it being a 3 color card DOES have it's drawbacks.

Tell you what. Put me down for Reparations.

I dig the flavor text. :D

TomB
CPA Member

[Edited by TomB (01-19-2000 at 03:00 AM).]

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I like gold cards but find them hard to play if they're more than two colors. I'd have to say that Nicol Bolas is very impressive, though perhaps not the best. At least, I like his abilities of all the Elder Dragons. Him and Nebucazzer (sp?).

Killer Joe

I liked the gold cards and DO think they should be included (minimum 10) but you're right, there is a very limited mana source right now...........FOR TYPE II TOURNEY PLAY! BWAAAAAHAHAHA!........no, really, they should include them. Mono X decks (where X equals any color) is just not a good way to promote harmony amoung the colors (at least the friendly ones to each other) like U/W or R/G or ...well, you get the picture.

Also, you're right again, they will never put gold cards in a core set, but hey, you never know with these guys, after all, weren't these the guys who went and changed rules on us? ...or print cards and almost immediately ban them from organized play?...huh? Oh well, I hated academy anyways.

My favorite gold card; I choose the FIVE-COLOR casting cost of the Sliver Queen! This one's a no brainer for me because I love five-color decks esp. 5CG.

This is Yellowjacket.

T

theorgg

We DEFINATLY need to get more gold cards. My favorite, personally, is the "Bean-Paladin" from alliances. you remember Lim-dul's paladin, don't you? everybody liked it untill they realized it wasn't good with it's discard effect.

he's also the reason i bought my Masticor(I loved the name at the pre-relese) for three dollars!

can't get any better than that.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Granted, I'm more of a mono color players, or mono-splash. Or even contradicting colors, I still love gold cards. I still remember trading for a legends Pallidia-Mors (sp?). :) And a whole bunch of other cards (if anyone wants a list, drop me a line) Granted, he was hard to play and I had the chronicles version, it was still a legends Elder Dragon.
So, I guess that is my favorite gold card.

Would they but them in the basic set? Of course not, that'd be too complex for other Po****on players. Should they? I think so, but yeah, the dual lands could be problem.

Best?? No clue, but you have to mention Dark Heart of the Wood and Scarwood Goblins (<-- is that right?) just because they were the originals.

-mike

Ferret

Staff member
I've always liked Gold Cards - they make you have to build diversified decks. Very few people want to challenge themselves to build good decks w/ multicoloured cards in them - not since ProsBloom has their been any real multicoloured cards in play - and only slivers came out in terms of creatures...Lots of Legendary creatures have been published, but they're all monocoloured - you want to have something w/ nice abilities? Make it inexpensive, but requiring three or four different colours...

-ferret

"...kind of makes you wonder why they reprinted Celestial Dawn..."

C

Caveman

[Should R&D at WotC create new gold cards?]
YES, I mean sure, why not.
I'd love to see "Urza",planeswalker
(all 5 colors, like Sliver Queen. I think
he should have one power from each color
than leans itself to the flavor of that
color.)[e.g. BB1 :Discard, UU1 :Draw, GG1:+3+3,
RR1: Bolt, WW1: Gain/Prevent 3]
...ok, this isn't a tourney card but nor are
some of the 6th Edition Rares.

Should WotC re-print gold cards in 7th. Edition? .......YES!
It would be interesting to see some of the
older cards reprinted but I doubt if they
will. If they are going to reprint stuff,
in the basic set, that will never see
tournament play why not just reprint a few
of the playable Multi-color ones, like
Stormbind.

What was the best gold card ever made?
Depends on what I'm playing(casual or Type x)
Casual: well, Jacque le Vert, Sol Kanar,
the swamp king or Sliver Queen

Type x: probably Cad Bloom or Stormbind

C

CthulhuDragon

I love gold cards, but I would not want to see them in the basic set. Gold cards usually reflect the flavor and setting of the expert expansions and should stay there. I hope that they will bring the return of gold cards soon.
The basic set however, is just that - basic. It should be full of solid utility cards. Each color should adhere to its properties, and not deviate. This only applies to the basic set though. Expert level expansions should experiment a little.
Just my thoughts,
Cthulhu Dragon

I

Istanbul

I'd just like to see them reprint several two-color legends. The three-color legends were kind of cool, but nigh-unplayable, and I don't miss them.

Ahh, the fond memories of using Nebuchadnezzar. "Let's play Go Fish. Do you have any...Counterspells?"

T

Trademark

Well, considering cards like Elvish Piper, Quicksilver Amulet and Sneak Attack have been printed.. The purpose of Gold cards (making players have multicolor decks) isn't as, say, effective as it used to be. If I really wanted to have Sol'kanar in any color deck, all I would need is a Quicksilver Amulet and I'm set. And with the rebel legend (lin sivvi, defiant hero) coming out, the trend continues (and yes i know what it does.. replenish conspiracy i tell you!)

D

Dune Echo

Yeah, Lin Sivvi is on my list to get along with 4 Conspiracy. Actually, I just really like Legendary creatures in general. And something just tells me that Complex Automaton can be broken somehow. Armageddon? I'm not sure but I want it. I'd like to see the day some pro makes up some secret tech for the thing and it gets to be really hot. That would be amusing.

I think some gold cards like Dark Heart of the Woods, Scarwood Goblins, and Acidic Sliver (I think all the slivers should be reprinted) should be reprinted eventually. Dark Heart of the Woods is a perfectly balanced Zuran Orb if you think about it. I can see them not reprinting anymore Legend creatures just because by definition, they're Legendary. Personally, I like the gold cards like Dark Heart of the Woods and Acidic Sliver. I wish they'd make more thematic flavored gold cards that are good, like Dark Heart of the Woods. Dark Heart of the Woods would be good in a Hurricane, Squallmonger, Drain Life, Corrupt, Yawgmoth's Bargain Deck with Ivory Towers.

[Edited by Dune Echo (01-27-2000 at 08:02 AM).]

T

The Magic Jackal

Gold cards are great, they give you a mysterious feeling. As to the best one, I'd have to say it is Labotamy. Da da daaaa

A

arhar

Solkanar is DA MAN!!! All bow down to the Swamp King. I play him in my black Animate Dead deck. Solkanar will Destroy thee, BWHAHAHA!!!

Ahem.

Um where was I?
Oh yeah, Gold cards.

Prismatic boon is really cool. When I played it in a multi, most of the time it was like: "Inferno? Well, I won't counter it... but I will Prismatic Boon for all my creatures =)"..

Energy bolt was just amazing with Skyshroud Elf.. I personally like Nebuchadnezzar, but no one else does. Well, all Elder Dragons are just COOL. They're big, they fly, etc, etc.
All bow down to the mighty elder dragons!