Should The Master be banned from theese forae?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theorgg

Due to an individual who has been perpetuating odd comments about nothing at all, and persistantly refuses to aknoweldge the wishes of the board, I rase this question:

Should The Master be banned?

If the Master posts more than two posts in his own defence, this forfits the vote; he will be banned by order of Ed Sullivan.

[Edited by theorgg (02-19-2000 at 10:56 PM).]

I

igfett

i think he should be banned. too many off topic topics....too many "topics"..... a joke every now and then mixed with magical speakings would be perfectly acceptable, but i have yet to read a valid post from him yet. BAN HIM!! BAN HIM!!!
<bad references to austin powers and monty python courtesy of myself>

Q

Quill

Hmmm...I'm kind of for banning this guy myself. What's he thinking with some of these post? Maybe a warning first might be the best way.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I'm rather in favor of ignoring him altogether. It seems to me that, like a little kid, he's just trying to get attention for himself, and that by obliging him with scoldings all we're doing is feeding his ego.

He does seem to be disrupting things a bit though. :(

He must have SOME connection to this game since he found us here, so I think it'd only be fair to give him one last chance to post something relevant before cutting him off.

So how about it, Master? Have you got something to say about the game, or are you going to continue acting like my 5 year old?

It's up to you.

TomB
CPA Member

C

Chaos Turtle

Maybe he's like that due from "Storm of the Century" and he's really here to take one of us into his realm of evil, and if we "Give him what he wants, he'll go away."

Actually, though, will banning do any good? Can't he just cahnge his username, or can you ban his ip? I don't really care, though, he's not nearly as annoying as Jonathan/Jason from the Dojo forums... all in all, he's a lot like my uncle Mike, who was in a horrible wheat-thresher accident, "mostly 'armless." :0

Z

Zadok001

I personally think the following proposal should be made:

Should Master choose to defend himself, and post something relevant, he can stay. If he doesn't defend himself, ban 'em.

Master? Speak up, if you're still here (please God, don't let him speak up!).

D

deathsicle

why ban him? It's not like he's sending us all viruses! Just ignore him, nobody's making you read his posts. Let him stay.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
CT - Yeah, I can ban his IP. Notice the nice buttons down at the bottom :)

deathsicle - True, you don't have to read his posts, but his messages are beginning to make that forum look like the dojo -- useless. (Ok, so I exagerated) If he resides in the off topic forum, that's fine. But we asked him to stop, and he didn't.

-mike

D

Duel

I don't like banning people on principle. I think it's a bad precedent to set to ban someone, it's to easy to begin to push the bottom lines for being banned. I've been kicked out of too many things because people went kick-out-crazy. I have yet to be offended by a post, though I think that he could be more circumspect. I think that this should be treated as a warning, that he could get in trouble. That should be sufficient.

[Edited by Duel (02-20-2000 at 07:43 PM).]

L

Leshrac

He would have been warned and likely banned a long time ago if he were doing the same thing on MOTL.

Z

Zadok001

Good enough, he defended himself, sort of.... I no longer feel he needs to be banned.

I would, however, like to request that he post on topic for the forum you are posting in. Yes, some of us have laughed at your jokes, even responded. I have even done so myself. I have no problem with jokes like that. None whatsoever. I _do_, however, have a problem with you posting those things in forums not meant for that.

Therefore, I'd like to ask Ed to do another favor for the less-technically inclined members (myself) of the CPA. Create a new forum, label it 'Off Topic.' This will be the stamping grounds of the Master, off topic jokes, random stuff. No one has to visit it if they don't like the off topic stuff, but the Master gets his zone to joke in.

He gets his jokes, those of us who want to get to respond, and those of us who do not can ignore him with ease. Anyone agree?

"CPA and the DCI: Banning central? I think not!"

Z

Zadok001

Heh. I'll just shut my over-loud, too quick to speak trap now. :) Gee, I feel STUPID. Ok, new request: Master, your stomping grounds are down there, go have fun!

D

Dune Echo

Guys, we're the CASUAL Players Alliance. Is banning something we really need to consider if there are other options available. I know we don't want the forums to look bad or to degenerate. But shouldn't everyone be allowed to post things? Yes, I found it annoying as well, but I just ignored him.

Ferret

Staff member
Well, I don't want to sound arrogant, but I have moderated many message boards in the past and the only time I ever had to ban any users was when they were using excessive flaming and vulgarity.

I don't like it when preoplr post off-topic, but I like to feel the best way to deal w/ it is to ignore the posts or if necessary delete them. The user will still have access to the forums and will be able to continue posting.

-ferret

"Maybe we could just Restrict him and promise to never reprint him..."

Z

Zadok001

Well, it's a moot point now. He seems to have moved on. I don't think we should ban anyone if we can ever avoid it, however, logic dictates that we should not completely eliminate the possibility for banning. It's psyche warfare, if they think we can ban 'em, they might not act so poorly. :) It worked.

T

theorgg

Well, I started this thread, so I think I can vote now so it doesn't look like I'm trying to Biase(sp?) anyone.

I vote to let him stay.

Offtopic should allow him some freedom.

Master, It looks like you can stay.

Vote Closed.(hint, hint)

Killer Joe

nope. He's still lurking 'round here somewhere. I think here's a hairless, pokemon purchaser. I think he has a 1st amendment right to speak. I also think his Mom wears army boots. I think he's related to Bob Dole. (Hey, I'm just trying to match his SPAM).

This is Yellowjacket
"Someone who PLAYS Magic: The Gathering, not someone who poses to."

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
I'm going to take Orgg's advice and close this thread.

It's really a moot point and I don't really want this to turn into a flame war.

-mike

Status
Not open for further replies.