Lotus Mox presents: Black Bazaar

The 2 Most important cards:

4 of
Bazaar of Baghdad
Land
tap: draw two cards, then discard three cards from your hand

and:

4 of
Living Death (we all know what this one does)

So the basic idea is to dump creatures in the graveyard via the Bazaar and cast a really big (or not so big if you need a Wrath of God ASAP) Living Death.

To use the bazaar effectively you need cards which come back to your hand from the graveyard, (drawing 3 cards a turn and discarding 3 is nice but not really effective)

+ 4 Squee, Goblin Nabob
+ 4 Krovikan Horror(they also serve a finisher purpose)

now you can maintain a full hand while using the bazaar -> +1 Library of Alexandria

now the mana (because of your deck browsing you don't need much):

1 Black Lotus
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mox Jet
6 Swamp
4 Dark Ritual
4 Songs of the Damned (great in this deck!)
2 Blood Pet (they have a nice synergy with Songs of the Damned)

Creatures which can start the beating during the turn Living death is casted:

3 Nether Shadow
3 Ashen Ghoul (both can be also used without Living death)
4 Triskelion

Now add some Discard to force your Living death through countermagic:

1 Mind Twist
4 Duress
3 Hypnotic Specter

Some tutoring:
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor

and
3 Buried Alive
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Tormod's Crypt(you want to be the only one to benfit from the Living Death + defense vs. other decks which likes to use the graveyard as a resource not as the discard pile)

Here's the Complete Decklist(61 cards):
Lands:
4 Bazaar of Baghdad
1 Library of Alexandria
6 Swamp

Artifact:
1 Mox Jet
1 Lotus Petal
1 Black Lotus
4 Triskelion
1 Tormod's Crypt

Black:
4 Living Death
4 Krovikan Horror
3 Nether Shadow
3 Ashen Ghoul
2 Blood Pet
4 Duress
1 Mind Twist
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Demonic tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
3 Hypnotic Specter
4 Dark Ritual
4 Songs of the Damned
3 Buried Alive

Red:
4 Squee, Goblin Nabob

SB:
1 Underworld Dreams
3 Tormod's Crypt
1 Drain Life
2 Soulshriek
2 Megrim
3 Defense Grid
3 Forsaken Wastes

I have played this deck a bit on Apprentice (I own only 20% or so from this decklist :) ) and all I can say it is a blast to play and is able to be fast enough to be competetive).
One last note: you NEED the Bazaar on the starting hand so paris down if you need it.

Have fun plaing this deck, and don't praise or curse me about this deck, it wasn't my idea ;)
<- Being a new player I really don't know much about Type I, I read it in a German TCG mag, and played it on apprentice, liked it, played again, liked it more,...
and thought to share it with you.

any Comments, Suggestions?

D

DÛke

I don't see much T1 decks in here, and I have no knowledge of that playing style, but nevertheless: "Wow!”

I don’t' know if this will be a stupid comment, but would Ball Lighting fit in your deck?

You only have 11 lands, 4 of which add no mana!
How does you deck manage that? I know you have Moxes, and Lotus, but still, 7 lands, and some Artifact that add mana? Don't you think that's a bit too little? I don't know much about this format, so excuse any stupidity coming from me.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

looks like a nice deck, i know you said you played it on apprentice, but if you ever try to build it good luck trying to find that black lotus(watch thats like the one card he does have out of this deck)

K

krichaiushii

D?e --

The Songs of the Damned (get one B for each creature in your graveyard -- all for B) pay for his big stuff, after filling the graveyard with the Bazaar(s) and Buried Alive. Still, I prefer more mana, myself.

Why stop with only black cards in a deck like this?
The only black cards really necessary are Buried Alive and Living Death. Just fill the deck with all sorts of bruisers, both with and without haste -- the new Dragon Legends come to mind, as does Tsabo Tavoc, herself. To help yourself out (hardcasting), black has some fatties of its own, despite atrocious upkeeps on some of them... heck, given the use of Living Death, the "sac a creature" upkeeps can be an advantage...

But if you don't like upkeeps, use green fatties instead. Those become the cards Buried Alive and discarded to the Bazaars.

My suggestions probably slow the deck immensely, but is how I would use four (or any) Bazaars and Living Deaths, should I be fortunate enough to own them. ;)

L

Lotus Mox

DÜke - Ball Lightning would fit this deck, but it can't be hard casted except with a Black Lotus, so what about

Spirit of the Night
6BBB
Legend
Flying, Trample, Protection from Black, haste,
Whenever Spirit of the Night attacks, it gains first strike until end of combat.
6/5

Regarding such big stuff: If both halves of B.F.M. are in the graveyard, can you dump it out via Living Death?

As you said the mana base is tight but with all the deck filtering and the mana accelerators I rarely found myself mana short and I usually don't cast anything else than Living Death and discard stuff.

This deck is really expensive but if you don't have the Black Lotus and Mox you can easily replace them with swamps as they aren't really necessary for this deck.(this makes the deck a lot cheaper), or play with proxies (my Blacker Lotus is always used as the Black one, :) )

One a side note the cards I own are:
the swamps, blood pets, duresses, dark rituals, the Yawgmoth's will and a single Squee, :)

D

Duel

In my opinion, the bazaar would be better used in a replenish deck, no? it's a permanent attunement

D

DÛke

...Spirit of the Night would fit in nicely in the deck, though you really shouldn't add 4 of it since it's a legend.

With 3 Buried Alive and 4 Bazaar of Baghdad, wouldn't you think it would be easy to send the Ball Lightning into the graveyard? I mean, if you could get 4 in the graveyard, and play a Living Death, that's a win right there.

D

Duel

Well, I was gonna say, you already have 4 squee. What's to stop you from getting lightning into you graveyard. Or, possibly, you could thwo in the red/black dual lands, and play it, Beuhler style.

K

K

I would add in 4 Ball Lightnings. It's not like you're planning on casting them anyway. Just send them to the grave and "Living Death" them. It's not that hard.

A

arhar

Add off-color spells. It's T1 so don't worry about color problems.

Regrowth
Mystical Tutor
Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, Timetwister
Fork

etc

D

Duel

Oh yeah, and the off-color moxes and library of alexandria. Oh, and a mind twist. Come to think of it, just play The Deck, it's simpler....

L

Lotus Mox

Mhh, I could include the whole restricted list ;), but what should I cut from the original deck without loosing the deck idea.

For the Lightning Balls...
I have played so often vs. Moat that I feel uncomfortamble using them, Triskelions are far superior IMO.

D

Duel

Well, there a couple solutions:

1: play triskelion and red 187 creatures
2: unless you object to feeling brian-seldenesque, cloudchaser eagle works.

G

galtwish

I run Bazaar of Baghdad in my 5Color deck, and it rules. Other good synergistic cards are:
Brainstorm
Scroll Rack
Soothsaying
Carrionette
Haunting Misery
Hermit Druid \
Avenging Druid / both help set up the GY
Oath of Ghouls
Oath of Scholars
Corpse Dance
Intuition (to get Squee or Horror)
Buried Alive