Steel curtain

A

Aku Necromancer

was wondering if this deck would be viable in my upcoming local tournament.(extended)

4 collective restraint
4 brain storm
3 thwart
3 disrupt
3 pendrell mists
2 rescind
2 mana leak

4 winter orb
3 steel golem
3 eye of ramos
3 mindstone
1 grind stone
1 thran foundry

2 ghost town
18 island

any suggestions would be nice, thanks

B

Baskil

Propaganda is better for this deck than Collective Restraint. Just for kicks, I would try out Storm Cauldron.

M

Mikeymike

Definitely DO NOT use Collective Restraint in here.
The opponent can only attack on X, X being the number of basic land types you control. You only control islands so they only have to pay 1. Play Propaganda instead so you can lock them in with the Winter Orb.

Rishadan Port, as much as I hate to admit it, would work nicely too with your artifact mana to lock down on the lands.

Your counter base should be stronger also, lets take a look:
3 thwart, nice with the orb
3 disrupt, these should be Daze, ACC works extremely well with the Orb
2 rescind
2 mana leak, I'm iffy on this one. I understand your reason for playing it, BUT in extended there are a few ways of generating 3 mana w/o lands to tap. I'd probably go with a plain counterspell and 4x of them.
Force of Will is always nice when you don't have mana, actually its always nice period.

Steel Golem, they will have blockers of some sort, why not try something with evasion and/or flying. Peregrine Drake, that 3/1 flyer for 2U maybe.

Hope some of these help

A

Aku Necromancer

yeah i forgot to type in the 4 counter spells, ill use your daze suggestion, itll make the deck better. thanks for suggestions!

S

Smithy

Cracking good deck, Aku. I went 5 wins 1 draw in the swiss of a tournament with a similar deck, when these cards were type 2 legal.

Your biggest worry will probably be Nevs Disk. I used to board in Null Rod.

Mikeymike is right about Daze.Think about power sink too,(even though it's lost a bit of it's strength in 6th it still works well with the orb). Propaganda is also a MUST.
I'd reccomend at least 3.

It's worth considering Undiscovered Paradise as a couple of land slots, using the untap a land/ lay a land mana advantage principle with the orb. Although with Thwart and Daze returning islands this may be a redundant idea.

A mana Web is a proposition too.

I'd sack the Grindstone. Bung in a couple of Rainbow Efreets to fly over the top.

N

Neil Rigby

The basic premise of your deck is fine, there are just a few cards that may need looking at.
As everyone else has mentioned Propaganda is obviously a million times better than coolective restraint. Secondly I cannot see a reason for playing eye of ramos over sky diamond, because the fact that it comes into play untapped is no replacement for the increased cost and the number of times it will make a diference are significant (being stuck on two land with a eye is more likely to happen than having three land and not wanting the diamond). Again with reference to higher cost spells, it seems unneccesary to play with rescind instead of boomerang because the cycling is not going to be used that often too make it worth paying more when you want to cast it.
Smithy also makes a good point in saying that a creature with evasion would be a better choice, this is true, but the words couple and rainbow efreet should never be used in the same sentence, also grindstone/winter orb is not a very good combo:)
My last comment will be that I think you are not playing enough land, but in the end this is just a personal preference and I would not play as many artifact mana sources (each to their own I suppose)
Just my thoughts, Hope they can be of some help

A

Aku Necromancer

I still prefer the golem, its cheap casting cost and 4 toughness is what i need to stop any creatures my opponent still has. last time at the tournament no one played blue, and it consisted of many trinity green decks, and a hectacomb deck which placed first placed. it'll be the first time im using this deck at a tournament. you think itll have a chance a trinity green or the all powerfull hectacomb deck?

S

Smithy

Trinity Green?
If it's an extended tournament you should think about testing vs Trix, Sliver and Oath decks.

Regarding Steel Golem, play 3 AND Rainbow.
Neil is bang right about the Eye. 4 Sky Diamonds are needed to pay the upkeep on your creature/s.

Oh yes come to think of it, it was one, of a couple of Rainbows that flew over and did the fatty beatdown vs Neils excellent Caribou Range deck in the tournament I mantioned above!

N

Neil Rigby

Sorry, forgot to mention that Impulse is a better choice than Brainstorm, especially when you need top see certain cards quickly i.e. Pendrell Mists against creatures. When it comes down to how god your deck is against trinity green, the basic deck should deal with it quite well but you will need to see Pendrell Mists (probably multiples), and the all powerful Hecatomb this is where your sideboard becomes of the most importance. If these two decks are most popular in your area, and are the ones you are worried about playing against it is probably worth you to dedicating several sideboard slots to beating them. A suggestion of a possible sideboard is:
3 Magical Hack (good against Hecatomb, Boil, Choke etc.)
3 Dream Tides (good against weenie decks, especially good against trinity)
2 Hibernation (if trinity green is all over the place)
3 Annul (these work against Hecatomb and are also good for beating the Trix decks and the like)
2 Mana Web (this card is an absolute killer and is possibly worth a main deck slot)
2 Boomerang (I would run these to max out your boomerangs for against any rogue deck, because your main dck has little in the way of board control for anything except creatures. If someone gets an annoying artifact or enchantment (i.e. Stasis) down you only have two boomerangs in the main to deal with it

These are as usual just my thoughts and not gospel, a lot of the sideboard choices depend on your local environment (Where I live it would be like 4 DTides, 4 Dandan, 4 Annul, 3 MHack), and I thought about this board for about ten mins ;). A good sideboard can make all the difference between winning a tournament and just doing well at one, someone said that to me once....... ahh yes Gizmo ;)

C

Captain Caveman

WoW, most of team Cand!man is here now. "I think?"

Re: Steel Golem

Its my belief, that ST is not as good as a choice
now, as it was in older Type II. I don't play very
much Extended by I would guess that TS (Tradewind/
Survival) would be hard for you to beat.

Matt Linde (TS)
Main Deck
4 Tradewind Rider
4 Counterspell
4 Survival of the Fittest
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Wall of Roots
4 Land Garnt
4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
2 Mana Leak
2 Impulse
2 Quirion Ranger
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
1 Morphling
1 Ophidian
1 Uktabi Orangutan
1 Spike Weaver
1 Deranged Hermit

5 Island
6 Forest
1 Savannah
4 Tropical Island

Sideboard
1 Daring Apprentice
1 Masticore
1 Uktabi Orangutan
1 Bottle Gnomes
1 Spike Feeder
1 Monk Realist
1 Gilded Drake
4 Emerald Charm
4 Back to Basics

I'm not trying to suggest that your deck isn't good
(Its better an anything I could come up with) but
its probably a good idea to test your deck against
TS, Trix, Oath and CounterSliver. You might roll
right over them. As I've said a million times before
I'm a scrub so my comments could be way off.

good luck,

Caveman

A

Aku Necromancer

with all your sideboard suggestions, i think i can easily handle a trinity green deck, im still somewhat reluctant about the hectacomb deck as i remember it tore apart my friends deck in no time flat(my friend plays trinity green).The persons hectacomb deck has cards such as phyrexian walker, sengir autocrat, of course hectacomb, and other cards i didnt catch. also how does this deck against other decks like ponza, and horde decks like white weenie? as i said before itll be the first time ill be playing this deck for the tournament is saturday and tomarrow will be an entire day of play testing.

K

KaVu_LoRd

just remember ,aku, you gotta servive me in the tourny. i got my new deck and now i know your deck. dont expect to stop me with strength alone. because it is the offenceive decks that my deck destroys

A

Aku Necromancer

this deck really isnt an offensive deck, overall this deck has little to no trouble with simple-minded creature beat-down strategies. and itll be interesting to see how you deal with over 12 counterspells and 4 winter orbs.

K

KaVu_LoRd

try having no lands, no creatures, and no artifacts

try beating 28 counterspells pa

S

Smithy

Look buddy-boy this is serious deck brainstorming, and isn't going to degenerate into...ah what the heck, my decks bigger than yours:p

D

Duel

Aku: fun deck. Not gonna go over what everyone's said, but I like the general look. Play opposition, play power sink, play daze.

Steel golem can be overlooked for the oft-maligned Sibilant spirit, perhaps.

Kavu Lord: Good luck to you. If you can make a deck with 28 counters win a tourney, congrats. I NEED that decklist...... Meanwhile, either give specific advice or leave the guy alone, okay? Thanks.

S

Smithy

Hey Aku, I keep visiting this post, so will you tell us how you faired in the tournament?

A

Aku Necromancer

well a ton of people attended the tournament, triple the amount at the last one. So the format was single elimination, best 2 out of 3.
I faced a black and green deck first game and crushed him both games, 2nd game he didnt even touch me (ouch). on my 2nd game I squared off against my friend. winning this game would take me to the final four of the tournament. My friend was playing a ponza deck. First game we played I completely controlled the game and winning it. 2nd game he got me down to 3 life, and he was at 2, my golem would have killed him no matter what he did, that is until he casted a fault line for 1 damage and seal of fire me, and i had no counterspells left. the next game i had to mulligan twice and i still ended up with a horrible hand. he eventually destroyed my winter orb and burnt me to death(cursed hammer of bogardons). it wasnt bad for my first time using this deck. ended up 3-2