Article suggestions?

Z

Zero

Hey ya'll, I want to write an article, but I have very few things to write about. Lol, look at waht I have after a day of brainstorming;

How the format of a post resembles a book or movie

How decks can now be more than 60 cards

Discuss the new planeshift mechanics

Pretty sad eh? I need something to write about! Help me, please!

H

Hetemti

Please don't tell us about your..."dryness." At least try an over-the-counter cream or other treatment. Dat icky.

G

Griffith_se

Here is an idea, how about Someone write an
article about on-line play (Apprentice) ,or
(netdraft).

We have or own IRC channel, courtesy of <sorry,
can't remember Who set that up, but thanks>.

I'd like to see CPA'ers get hyped up about playing
each other.

Apprentice is a wonderful tool for Deck testing,
practicing, or just for having a nice casual game.

In My opinion on-line Magic is perfect for the
"Casual Player".

"Let's get that #type-random Chat room busy"

[Edited by Griffith_se on 11-12-00 at 08:55 PM]

H

Hawaiian mage

Do the one about post being like Books.

That should be interesting.

The end.

N

Nyx

1. Most illogical event. From my own history: I cast Wall of Ice & gave it firebreathing (with what lungs it exhaled I don't care to learn). My opponent paralyzed it, somehow preventing my wall from protecting me by rendering it motionless (unlike all that hyperactive ice in my freezer, which likes to disco while I'm at work). After a few turns it was untapped again and he attacked me with a vampire. I cast jump to let it block (It has legs, hmm, that might explain the paralysis working!), but he proceeded to frighten it to death (read: cast terror), which gave the vampire a +1/+1 counter from drinking its blood and getting stronger...

2. A day in the life. Match reports from the point of view of the cards themselves. "So there I was, gnawin' on a bone, wondering what me and the lad'z was gonna do when dis flash of light sends us scamperin' and some wind rips us outta da caze and drops us smack infront of da biggest, meanest snake ever. Some guy in robes hid behind us. Well we weren't havin' none o that and we hid behind him! Den he muttered something and da ladz near jumped in front of the snake and it et all of 'em. Rotglob an I tripped which is why we lived. Da guy then pulled out a stick and wiggled it, a bit of light smacked da snake and it burned up. Next ting I knew we wuz back in da cave and needed changin' like we were still lil mumps." From the journal of Gorbag, Goblin Raider. For those who are curious: player taps a Quicksilver amulet, summons a goblin raider, uses it to block a Ribbon Snake, then kills the snake with a rod of ruin.

3. Why the big obsession with websites that list deck composition and articles on deck construction, but nothing that talks about actually playing the game (except in the form of tourney reports)?

4. Worst Moves in a Clutch Situation. Hmm, I'll cast Necropotence, Ivory Tower, and Library of Leng, Mwa-ha-ha-ha... uh... I have to skip my discard phase AND my draw phase? Uh oh. (From the days of Ice Age when Necropotence read "in your discard phase" instead of "At end of turn" and the Library read "Skip your discard phase" I actually made this mistake myself *blush*)

5. 101 uses for a pre-eratta Ring of Ma'Ruff. Personally, I liked the time a friend used it to get one of the 7-inch promotional Chaos Orbs, though going for the Ace of Spades was fun too. If only he'd had some Tarot Cards at the time... I once leaned over to the guy at the next table and asked to borrow a card he'd just traded for. $#@%&! DCI team ruined a great card!

6. An open letter to Magic R&D: Please bring back Ante cards and make playing for ante mandatory at all DCI events! (Actually, I'm dead serious about this one, I think it would have a wonderful effect on deck strategy at the pro level)

7. Multi-Genre Magic, or how to beat you friend's B5:Narn deck with Big Green Stompies.

8. Top ten reasons the players on the pro tour are idiots. "10. They are impressed with the Masticore's ability to regenerate in a game that includes cards like splinter, detonate, crumble, swords to plowshares, wrath of god, disintegrate, incinerate, control magic, snuff out, shatter storm, balance, Avatar of Woe, Shauku Endbringer, Pit Spawn, Abu Jafar, Apocalypse, Jokulhaups..."

9. Viral Marketing, or How to get your friends addicted to magic as a way of increasing your own potential pool of tradeable cards. (no I'm not really that mercenary). Seriously though, articles on how to introduce new people to the game are in short supply and quite a useful thing. I personally collect the precon decks for this reason. They're themed, decent decks, and you can trade the whole thing to a new player for a single good card giving them a great starting point, and you a $12 card (which they got lucky and pulled from their second booster) for $9.95.

10. Uh, that's all I can think of on short notice.

----

On a totally unrelated side note, I can't say as I like Apprentice for the selfish reason that it won't differentiate between types of counters and I love playing with counters. This means that putting +1/+0 counters (with a dwarven armorer), +2/+2 counters (with a dwarven armory), and +1/+1 counters (with tons of different cards) onto a pack of critters with fading just gets messy and nearly unplayable. Not to mention I can't use my favorite Thallid deck, which includes Thrive and a few other +1/+1 counter cards. And if I can't play my favorite decks, why play?

Anyone ever try playing with the Interactive Encyclopedia? How well does that work? Does it work?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with you about your note about Apprentice, but you gotta remember, it's really just a "virtual" playing area for you and your opponent. Unless you print up some specially made counters or use those that came with a Duelist long ago, around Fallen Empires time, you don't really know the difference of counters either, in a person-to-person match. So it's the same with Apprentice.

With those kind of enhancements, then you could have permanents that come in tapped come in already tapped, counters get automatically taken off a tapped Gemstone Mine, etc... I think the designers were just keeping it simple.

But as I said first, I do agree with you and it would be nice to have it.

N

Nyx

I bought three copies of that duelist and I used to have a whole pack of some third-party token creatures. They were about an inch tall and had cool art on them with all the rules. There were even wasp tokens (for the hive) and wolf tokens (the master of the hunt). Sigh. Lost nearly all of them and now I make my own with index cards. I'm going to start scanning cards and use aprinter to make my next batch, but that won't happen any time soon. When I ned to tell them apart, I use a bag of money and the colored glass counters, red = +1/+1, green = +2/+2 pennies are fade counters, nickels are -1/-1, and so on. 'Course the cyclones (wind counters), and my Time Vault (time counters) get weird things. I just picked up a gold dollar for special cases like the time vault (and as the edge in Jyhad games). And I'm probably the only person I know who follows the letter of the rules and keeps track of cumulative upkeen with counters (partly because a friend showed me how evil it is combined with the giant fan). If I'm really lazy or running out of conters I break out my dice bag, "Ok the D10s are +1/+1, and the d6s are fade... Now, I cast a 7/7 Krakillin."

I've never had a problem face to face. Even if you have to use the same type of counter, you can atleast make different stacks, but Apprentice only makes one stack. When I've got three different types of counters on each of four critters, it's impossible to tell which one had how many of what counter. Face to face it's just, "Everything in the left top corner is fade, on the picture itself is +1/+1, and covering the card text is your giant oyster's dang -1/-1 counters."

N

Nyx

Mark's latest article describes a problem that seems widespread. It seems to me that one of the big problems at the tournament level is unsportsmanlike conduct. I know there are rules about getting warnings, but I still hear more people talk about how badly tournament players behave after losses and all that, than I do about how fun and happy the competition was. Someone who has more experience than I might have fun with the following alterations to the unsportsmanlike behavior rules:

Cussing: a two card penalty on your next opening hand.

Sassing a ref: sacrifice three permanents and/or discard up to three cards.

Throwing a fit after losing: your next win counts as a draw for both you and your opponent.

Mocking your opponent: lose 5 life this game, and at the beginning of each of the next two.

Gloating after a victory: You get credited with a loss for that round.

---

The idea is that just like the NBA, NHL, and every other sports league known to humanity, misbehavior directly reduces your chance for victory. The CCG equivalent of a penalty kick.

T

Taysir

Nyx, The stuff you just mentioned all falls under the heading of "unsportsmanlike conduct". This is punishable by the discretion of the TO, and can be anything as severe as a warning to ejection from the tournament- at ANY rules enforcement level. Means those cussers had better watch out.

L

Landkiller

Hey, some tournament players would use that to their advantage.

-- Scene --

Me : I cast Treachery on your Masticore.

Mike Long : In response, I sass the ref, sacrificing Masticore and two Ashen Ghouls. <Draws a Cadaverous Bloom from beneath the table>

-- end scene

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Taysir: Didn't Nyx already say those were unsportsmanlike conduct acts?

Nyx: Are you saying the rules should be CHANGED to your proposals (or the like) or AMENDED to ADD your proposals (or the like)?