Formats

M

Mordecai

This is not meant to be a simple 1-word answer survey. Hopefully, this will give input to people who run smaller, more casual tournaments (i.e. ME) what kinds of events the casual players prefer.

Here's the voting topic:

What is your favorite sanctioned tournament format (Type 1, Type 1.5, Extended, Type 2, Block) and why?

What is your favorite non-sanctioned event format and why?

M

Mordecai

Here's my reply to my own question:

My favorite sanctioned tournament format is Extended. This isn't (sadly) due to some objective superiority criterion. It's because it is the format which best matches my period of play. I began playing Magic during Tempest, and most of my cards are Rath Cycle and Saga Block. Standard no longer allows either of these blocks. Type 1.5 and 1 encompass too many older sets to which I have minimal access. Also, I really like the tone, power, and style of cards in Rath Cycle. It's as simple as that.

My favorite nonsanctioned formats are two: Two-Headed Giant and Monotype Creature-only. First, a description. Two-Headed Giant, as I've played it, is a two-person team event, with shared life totals, mana pools, enchantments, and artifacts. Each head controls its creatures individually, though, which allows a weakness for defense in a creatureless deck. Monotype Creature-only is a straightforward format where all nonland cards must be creatures of the same type (i.e. Elf, Dwarf, Cleric, Rebel) and nonbasic lands are forbidden.

I like Two-Headed Giant because it allows for clever interactions and combinations between players and decks, based on the way enchantments and artifacts will interact between decks (a Secret Force variant & Elven Thunder Two-Headed Giant vs. 4 other teams was my favorite game of Magic ever (we won on turn 3 :D)). There are so many interactions with cards in a format like this, that it's a fresh experience whatever your background of Magic.

I like Monotype Creature-only because it makes creatures and combat the focus of the game. It also leads towards a lot of creativity in deck style. I've seen many unexpected decks flourish in this format (don't use Walls), from Dwarves to Faeries to Wizards to Beasts. It makes people focus on the creatures, and finds many creatures that are weak in other formats to be very strong. The first tournament I ran in this format showed a deck featuring 3 or more versions of "Tim" the Prodigal Sorceror victorious over a WW Cleric deck with Orim and the Master Healer for defense.

richard

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't play in tourneys but if I did...

I'd probably pick Extended, just because I don't have the cards for Type 1.5 and it'd be an effort to get them. Too bad Extended changed its sets though... I'm more of Revised through Alliances kind of guy.

Non-sanctioned: beats the heck out me. The only multiplayer I've really done is circle, attack in one direction <shrug>

V

Volradon

T2 is the way to go, even though I have huge piles of T1.5 cards and even alot of the cool expensive t1 stuff. (No, I don;t mean Jewelry :) ) In T2 everything changes so often that one deck cant dominate the format for longer then a year or two while in type one and extended have the SAME OLD DECKS (necro anyone?) Of courst, this alos mean spendng a load of mony on it but if you are a good trader you dont even need a box to make a strong deck.

N

nodnarb24

I like Type 1.5 because I can use all of my cards. I HATE to be limited to sets since I only buy a few boosters from each sets and buy the singles I can afford.

I like Emperor and Two-Headed Ogre (or 2-headed giant). My definition for 2-headed that I have gotton from my storeowner and local tournament organizer is that you share life totals but you play as if you are separate players. You can pass lands, artifacts, and creatures to your partner by tapping them and they can use them as if they were theirs. One thing you can't pass is enchantments.

L

Landkiller

Favorite Tournament Format
Booster Draft/Sealed Deck.
I like not having to own the power cards, being on an even field with other players, and not having to "scout the metagame", the last an activity which is far beyond my care for the game. Booster Draft is *the only way to buy cards*. For real, at a $10 booster draft, with any prizes, it's a great deal. Why buy packs? Sealed Deck is the same, but more luck and less skill. At the same time, Sealed Deck is more balanced. Any player who has a full understanding of the rules is on even footing with any other player. With draft, your neighboring players may inadvertently derail you, or unfairly give you advantages over the whole table. If your neighboring players are incompetent, the whole table may suffer. But drafting is the best way to play tournament magic.

When else do cards actually operate as R&D intended?

Unsanctioned format : Range Free-for-all multiplayer.

This is the multiplayer format at the LHS game club. We used a two player range for any targeted or global effects. If a player Misdirects an effect, it must target something within the second player's range. Attacking could take place against an adjacent player, or, with flying creatures only, the player two away from you. Sharahazad (sp?) was the only card that was errataed, in that it forced each player to pair off and duel, with the result that half of all players would be at half life. Needless to say, any player foolish enough to play it would be crushed by the full circle of players.
If a player dies, that brings other players into range of global effects. Here's an example of this affecting gameplay :
Player A is locked by stasis
Player B is locked by stasis
Player C controls a survival of the fittest deck, with a moderate group of creatures. Has the ability to eliminate stasis.
Player D controls a green ground horde of immense power. Has no ability to eliminate stasis.
Player E is stasis locked, at low life.
Player F is stasis locked.
Player G is stasis.

Player D would be extremely hesistant to destroy Player E, despite the relative ease of doing so. Destroying E brings D into the stasis player's range, and would ruin player D. Therefore, Player C would want to destroy player E. Because this action ruins D, and D has nothing else to do but attack C. Also, a direct attack on D may be far more difficult than a weakened E. But what if F then concedes, bringing player C, tapped out, into stasis range, as an act of spite? So all players always can effect the game, just by their strategic location.
I would place my bet on player C to win that game, though.
Any game-type that can add a level of strategy gets my thumbs up!!

A

Apollo

This has been done before. I prefer extended or Type 1. Go dig up the old thread.