When?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
began Oct 12. 1999. Do a search on "Founders" in the General and/or Off-Topic and you can get some threads where a list is provided since this was asked before.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Originally posted by Spiderman
began Oct 12. 1999.
Nonono. The WEBSITE went live then. We've been around since July 29, 1999. And we had our article posted on the Dojo/BrainBurst something like August 5.

D

Duel

[me] scratches his head in confusion[/me]
How can it exist without the website? I don't get it. I guess the concept would be there, but I don't know how that counts.

"Ed, Why is the sky blue?"

N

nodnarb24

They started working on the site and concept on July 29, 1999. Then after they finished building they put the site on the internet for the public on Oct 12. 1999.

D

Duel

Yeah, so the CPA opened it's e-doors and became an actual site october 12?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ed: Then shouldn't the birthday/anniversay of the CPA be July 29? 'Cause when Yellowjacket asked it (I think) you said it was Oct. 12.

Maybe he was asking when the website went up... and maybe I should go look at the post in question :)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Originally posted by Spiderman
Ed: Then shouldn't the birthday/anniversay of the CPA be July 29? 'Cause when Yellowjacket asked it (I think) you said it was Oct. 12.
I told him the same dates I said here. He drew what he wanted from it :D

Z

Zadok001

The CPA was originally brought up by Baron Sengir on the Dojo message boards, using the original name 'The Sengir Army.' After the Founders emailed Baron with their support, we got together and started trying to figure out how to set it up. Ferret presented us with the name Casual Player's Alliance (Sengir Army is a tad militant, wouldn't you say?), and we stuck with it. After getting some hell from Newwave (*sic*), we joined up with magic-singles.com and Ed set up this site! :) There you have it, the annotating version of the CPA history.

(I don't think we have an exact date for Baron's original post on the Sengir Army, but he suggested it a few days after Waylay was errataed, whenever that was. I think. Ed?)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
the announcement/post by Baron Sengir went up 08/03/99. The link to the page with some replies is:

http://www.thedojo.com/bifdexold10.shtml

Scroll down to the middle to look for "Casual Players Unite" by T.Scott.

Also above it is a little discussion on what IS a casual player where Baron and Zadok took part.

Z

Zadok001

Woah! :) Sweet, Spidey! Danke for the link.

(I wish we could access the old Dojo message boards, I'd like to hunt down Baron's first Sengir Army post...)

[Btw, my reponse to the thread on 'What Is A Casual Player' is pretty much the only place I signed my name without spelling out my middle name. :) I just realized that! --Zadok001, edited in.]

V

Volradon

What happened to Baron Sengir? Did he speak francais? Did his blood taste good?

M

Mundungu

I remember responding to the original message for CPA back in sommer 99. I was afraid that the "group" did sound very militant and dictatorial at the time. HOW WRONG I WAS.

It took me until Feb 2000 to first come on the CPA boards (for those who wonder I had another nickname at the time and changed for mundungu in March or April. ...

sweet memories

S

sentinel

HEY!

That's pretty cool.

I was actually just wondering a few minutes ago how old the cpa really was, and what caused all these crazy people to come together here :)

Now I know.