Is mill a possibilty?

F

FoundationOfRancor

I saw a post that had it on mtgnews (BTW, I was INCREDIBLY dissapointed with the help some people gave the deck. MtgNews boards are dead...), and they said it was just a bad card. I hope to chgange that!

3 Netherspirit
2 Bribery
3 Millstone
4 Fact or Fiction
4 Counterspell
1 Exclude
4 Undermine
3 Foil
2 Massacre
1 Snuff out
4 Recoil
4 Lobotomy

3 Salt Marsh
4 Underground River
5 Swamp
13 Island

Blue
- 2 Misdirection
- 4 Counterspell
- 3 Wash out
- 4 Fact or Fiction

Black
- 3 Vamp tutor
- 4 Chilling Apparation
- 4 Stupor
- 3 Nether Spirit
- 3 Dark Ritual
- 2 Forced march

- 3 Millstone
- 3 Lobotomy
- 1 Crumbling Sanctuary
- 4 Recoil
- 4 Vodalian Zombie
- 4 Undermine
- 4 Nether Spirit
- 4 Counterspell
- 4 Foil

Z

Zadok001

Interesting. Haven't really considered Mill in Type 2 (which is odd, considering I recently acquired a BB Millstone). The main problem I can see would be artifact removal in any shape or form. Personally, I would first define WHO the Millstone was meant for: Me or them?

So that's one question. But here's one that REALLY bugging me: What deck am I lookint at, here? :)

You have one decklist (no dashes) at the top. Then you have a selection of Blue cards, a selection of Black cards, and a bunch of cards grouped together. No land, just cards. And some of the cards are in completely different quanities than they were in the selection listing.

FoR, what're we doing here? :)

R

rakso

The oldest Millstone decks (and Prison decks afterwards that had pretty much the same idea) worked from complete control of the game, and I see only three real creature removal spells, so maybe blue/white would be a better idea.

On the other hand, can't the deck work from the Nether Spirits already, making the Millstones look like "extra" cards?

I figure Millstone may be obsolete in T1 because all the decks that could use it can stick in Morphling for the same effect, except Morphling kills faster, affects the board very directly (can block, etc.) and is far harder to kill.

D

Duel

Well, when you consider that Counter-cowardice was a potential winner, and it's method was pawnshop, you may rethink not playing millstones (I was trying to get Zadok to play them in his deck for the longest time! They stop urza's rage, too!)

L

Landkiller

Milling someone out as the objective in your deck?

stuff :: First, they have 53 "life" turn 1, and lose 1 life a turn. Milling takes two more "life" away. Add Crumbling Sanctuary to a deck like this, with controlling slower creatures. Thrashing Wumpus!!

Next, include Twilight's Call. Trust in this. Maybe 1 in the deck with a couple tutors. Feldon's Cane is an excellent card for this deck. Is it in 6th ed? If not, is there any substitute?

The Twilights Call - Black Mill Deck

3 x Thrashing Wumpus
4 x Millstone
4 x Plague Spitter
4 x Dread of Night
3 x Massacre
4 x Distorting Lens
3 x Perish
3 x Crumbling Sanctuary
2 x Feldon's Cane
2 x Twilight's Call
4 x Vampiric Tutor
4 x Dark Ritual

20 x Swamp

SB
4 x Snuff Out
4 x Avatar of Woe
2 x Tsabo's Decree
4 x Addle
1 x Perish

and yes, all my decks use SB stuff in the maindeck.

R

rkoelsch

On apprentice. It was blue/white with teferis moat and story circle and counters. I played my silly domain deck against him. Which is a bad matchup for him. A more color focused deck would have had a bad time. but i attacked everytime forcing him to story circle 2 red creatures kor haven 1 blue creature. this only allowed him to mill once even though he had 2 millstones out. I finally pulled my devout witness that won it for me.

B

BurlyBrute

Considering that there's no longer a way to reshuffle one's library in the new Type II, I think that milling decks will make a huge comeback.
Blue and White does seem to be the way to go, with White having no less than eight possible wrath of god's.
Howling Mines speed things along and fills your hand with answers, and Pawnshops can be used to slow your own depletion.
Another possibility, three colors (adding green), to play Santuary's to thin out land and skip one's own draw step.
I know I'll be building one tomorrow.

M

Mikeymike

FoR--An interesting card for deck #2 would be the Indentured Djinn. You get a 4/4 flyer for 3, they draw 3 (further milling) and hopefully discard (stupor, chilling app. Lobe).

2 win conditions, put the pressure on and smack away.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
It's alright, but where're the shelkin brownies? They'd be perfect in a deck like this!

Ransac, retarded minky-boy

F

FoundationOfRancor

Sorry guys, I was on a crazy acid trip when I made the first post there...I really like mill, and I have been inspired to go W/U control on this one. Here we go!

Artifacts (7)
- 4 Howling Mine
- 3 Millstone

Blue (12)
- 4 counterspell
- 4 Disrupt
- 1 Misdirection
- 3 Prohibit

White (13)
- 4 Disenchant
- 3 Fountain Watch
- 3 Wrath of God
- 1 Rout
- 2 Story Circle

Multicolor (8)
- 4 Absorb
- 2 Teferies Moat
- 2 Hanna, Ship’s Navigator

Land (20)
- 4 Coastal Tower
- 4 Adarkar Wastes
- 6 Island
- 4 Plains
- 1 Kor Haven
- 1 Raths Edge

So this is deck! I want to take some stuff out for more lands, and I think im missing some key things, but I dont know what!? Keep in mind this deck has 4 howling mines, so I should get to and through stuff pretty fast (Explains why only one or two copys are in here...)
Also, some artifact acc might be good, espically with the gaurdian. Maybe the diamonds? There faster than the cameos...

Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?

M

Milt

I've got a friend who plays a Blue mega-control mill-stoning deck. It's slow to get going, but a major paing in the bass. It's type I, and I'll list the cards that I have experienced:

Howling Mine(s)
Control Magic (p's me off when he steals my guys)
Abduction (see above card)
Steal Artifact (same w/artifacts)
Millstone (at least 2, probably more)
Meekstone (nice creature lock down)
Sol Ring(s)
Counterspell (of various types, too)
Vesuvan Doppleganger (try fighting a dopple'd avatar of woe!)
Clone (nasty little spell)

These are the ones I remember, albeit painfully. I honestly don't think, in the 8 months we've been playing, that I've beaten this deck..and I've tried many different things :(

Hope this helps!!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, keeping with Type 2 theme what about:

A Dominate?
Flint Golem?
Rootwater Thief?

I just happened to be reading the cards from Nemesis... :)