Regeneration under VIth Edition

Ferret

Staff member
I got to play Magic today! Hooray! This is the first time I've been able to play since something like November. Drik2 came by and we got to have some fun using VIth Edition rules for the first time and he was playing his nifty Zombie deck. When his Zombie Masters were in play he had the ability to regenerate his Zombies when they were attacking (we all know they can do that...), but he freaked me out when he did it before they attacked...it would appear that you can do that? That's just weird. It didn't make a difference. Eventually he got his Evil Presence into play and I was toast, but this Regeneration thing was really starting to bug me...

...I never realised how dumb VIth Ed really was...

-ferret

"...oh, so my Maze of Ith's a Swamp, now - I guess I'm dead, then..."

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Personally, I actually like 6th edition... _rules_, not the card set. :) I guess that's because for the 3 or 4 years I played before it, I didn't know timing and that kind of intricate stuff very well. But I really learned it well with 6th Ed.

But I'll agree with you Ferret, this 'regen shield' crap is dumb. Here's an example:

Your at 2 and have a Drifting Djinn out. Your oppenent's at 5 and has a CoP: Blue and Soltari Priest out. I disenchant the CoP, and he sets up a damage prevention shield. Umm... good game...

This actually happened to me, just not directly. It was a UB draft and I still one the game. It's basically like your topdecking it 1 turn to late.

Dare I say that this 'shield' stuff is... gay. :) Sorry if I offend anyone with that, I'm just makin fun of the dojo.

-mike

Z

Zadok001

To clarify:

You can now "shield" a creature or players with regeneration or damage prevention at any time. That "shield" lasts until the creature is destroyed (in the case of regeneration) or damage is dealt (in the case of damage prevention). Or until the turn ends, at which point all shields are removed.

This is shit, IMHO. I like the stack and how it clears up the annoying interrupt window, but this?

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic

N

nekrataal

Yeah, that does sound pretty confusing. I haven't played with regen under the 666e rules... I just hope that it doesn't screw me up at the Mercadian Masques Pre Release. That will be my first 666e rules tourney. :(

-nekrataal

Ferret

Staff member
Do what I did: invite a friend over and try out the rules and see how they work...just make sure you throw in lots of regenerators and cop's to test it out...

-ferret

"...How about a new format: 'Iron-creature' Magic - no protection, no regeneration, no problems..." :)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Ha, I kinda like that idea Ferret. Kinda reminds me of... Starter/Portal. And Zadok, thanx for clarifing, I took that stuff for granted.

And nekrataal, I don't think you can really mess up the shield rules too much, but knowing them may save you. Hey, if you wanna play, I'm always up for Apprentice. E-mail me.

Well, speaking of apprentice, I know this isn't necessarily the right place, but as I mentioned in a different thread, I'm playing in a tourney this Saturday. And I still need to test/tweak the deck. I could use some help with this. So if you wanna play/help me, just drop me an e-mail... Anyone.

-mike
You know, those online direction things aren't that great. I found a better way to the tourney then the direction place did. :)

T

Tobold

One time where the regeneration shields DO make a difference is when you use them to sink your mana in it. Imagine having played several Eladamris Vineyards and not having a card to play with them. No problem, you just regenerate your Albino Troll several times BEFORE YOU ATTACK. It's crazy. I like it. :)