A New Type II Format

L

Limner

How about a format that allows you to play with banned cards but can regulate abusive combos. How about a format that promotes creativity, where "sub-par" cards see regular play, and weird rouge decks are the norm. How about a format where you don't have to have 4 of every rare to be competitive. The solution is simple just restrict decks to one of each card (except for basic lands). Combos can be played but they are not dominating, themes are viable but take some imagination, and just about anybody has the resources to put together a tier one deck. Look forward to your input...the Limner.

Z

Zadok001

No, that's not the solution. The solution is the little heard of Type B format, which promotes creativity very well. The banned list? Shaharazad, Channel, Divine Intervention, and all ante cards. End of list. You can find the Type B website somewhere on WotC's website... Look for Magic varients.

All my friends play with Type B, and our informal tourneys often end up with Thallid(!) decks in the top 4, and once a Minotaur deck won! Almost anything is viable in this format, though it leans towards mid-range speed Stompy style decks.

Try it, you'll like it.

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic
CPA Member
"We have more sprouts than they have hands."

G

GeneralStamp

Type B can be big, but it needs to be promoted !!! In fact, I might even start playing this little known format myself ! I recomend it highly to all players for an alternate tournament format.

" One,two,three,four, don't know how to count no more..."

N

nekrataal

Hey, Type B sounds like a blast. I remember reading about it in an old Duelist or Inquest or something, but forgot all about it. I'll give it a try around here.

-nekrataal
"Thallids will taste the sweet taste of victory for the first time since Fallen Empires!"

Z

Zadok001

Ah-ha! I'v been looking for that site ever since I got my new computer (and as a result lost my old favorite site list)! Thank you Waubers, now I can print out that Limit 2 list again! Much oblidged!

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic
CPA Member
"We have more sprouts than they have hands."

W

Waubers

I do that kind of stuff at work all day long people call in with a problem like I can't find my quarterly report help. I hop in the little golf cart cruise up to the south plant and fix the damn thing then I go back and browse on the net till I get called out again. It isn't glamorous but it pays good for a 17-year-old computer nerd. I work for Omniquip inc.
http://www.omniquip.com Any other Magic related links you need just ask me I know the wotc site inside & out. Also I am on the list to online playtest for WotC - how cool is that! This should allow me to "leak" info to the CPA I can hardly wait!

Waubers

Yeah I know I'm a lucky bastard, but I promise I won't let any bargains or masticores get through R+D Again!

S

sce

Hi !

I see some of us hava actually tried Type B and found it some fun :)

Would it be a good idea to take the Type B as the 'sort-of-official-cpa-type' ? The current maintainer of Type B is asking on the site is someone is willing to take over....Maybe we could 'adopt' it ? Keep it current and promote it a bit more ?

Regards,

SCE

B

ben

I think that “adopting” Type B would be a really cool idea. As far as feasibility goes, I don’t think it should be a problem… ?(This is where the council members jump in and let us know how much web space/bandwidth we have available). I think we have enough people here that someone, if not the whole group could work on updating/promoting Type B.

Although I haven’t actually played Type B, I like the idea of having players decide what is broken, and what to do about it.

It would require a little bit of work, especially if we want to have the ability to have Type B players vote on-line or though some other electronic means.

Well, I think it’s a good idea, and I think it should be at least considered….

Ben

T

Tobold

The problem with type B or any other type we can design is to find players to play against. There is usually no problem to find somebody with a type II deck, but where do you find somebody with a type B deck?

If you organize playing groups yourself it gets much easier. Then the group can set up house rules and play Highlander or whatever. But if I built a Highlander deck today, I wouldn't know who to play it against, unless I want to play against somebodies regular type II deck.

T

Tobold

By the way, I'm against adopting type B as "official" CPA format. There are several people here who would prefer Highlander.

Ferret

Staff member
Actually, my favourite format is the play every card you own format. Keep some cards restricted - but only as a house rule - and let people play what they want...sometimes, you seem some strange things...

-ferret

"Behold, the power of my Kobold Deck!"