Red/Green Type 2 Control (Ponza)

D

Daenen

When most people think of Red/Green, they think old-school Killjoy. Llanowar Elves + Fireball, or Birds of Paradise + Lightning Bolt. Ahh, those were the days.
I tried to build a modern killjoy deck using Masques Block, Invasion, and 6th Edition. It sucked. It took me an average of THIRTEEN turns to deal 20 damage. This is not good. One game i drew nothing but Birds and Elves. While this could be a good thing, i have to assume that my little 1/1's will soon die, whether to bigger creatures or burn.

So, I decided to go the other route. Instead of an aggresive deck, i went for control. The one i came up with is modelled after Ponza. Lots of mana, lots of control, and only a few creatures to lay the smack down, after you have control of the board.

So, here it is, future T2 R/G Ponza:
Mana (28 total):
6 Forest
10 Mountains
4 Shivan Oasis
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Troll-Horn Cameo (R/G mana artifact for 3)

Fat Critters (6 total):
3 Skizzik
3 Flowstone Overseer

Control (28 total):
4 Tsabo's Web (Aww, you have no Ports. Poor baby)
4 Creeping Mold (no, bad Enchantment/Land/Artifact)
2 Hurricanes (Final kill/annoying flyers)
4 Seal of Fire (Don't have to keep mana open)
2 Hammer of Bogarden (may change to Urza's Rage)
4 Stone Rain (Duh)
4 Pillage (another duh)
2 Earthquake (may bump to three and drop one Hurricane)
2 Frenzied Tilling (May drop, don't know yet)

Well, tell me what you think. I like the deck. Lots of control, but i think i could use more burn. Tell me what you think. Thank you in advance.

R

Rando

Funny, I was thinking of just about the same thing, and was going to post it today, but...

4 Stone Rain
2 Frenzied Tilling
2 Pillage
2 Tectonic Break
4 Rhystic Lightning
4 Shock
4 Skizzik

4 Creeping mold
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Blastoderm

4 Karpulsin Forest
8 Forest
10 Mountains

H

Hellion

I will defineatly go for many 1st turn drops for a deck like this, Llanowar Elves and Birds of Paradise make great 1st turn drops. Also, to make sure that I do not get mana screwed, I'll add both Karlpusan Forest and Shivan Oasis.

Blastoderm makes a great beating stick but I would seriously think of adding Thresher Beast, that great card from Nemesis. The Overseer is great for on board control and beatdown. But I'd put the number to 2 instead of 3.

Also, I add more LD like 4 Pillage, 4 Stone Rain, 4 Creeping Mold and 4 Tectonic Break for more aggressive LD. I'd relegate Skitzk to a few 'cause, this deck needs alot of control, I'd rather go for Tangle Wire than Skittzks.....

Just my few cents.

D

Duel

I hate to say this, but Jade Leech may beat out blastoderm in this deck.

J

Jettaran

GGGRRRRR Jade Leech ok but not cannot decide GGGGGRRRRRR!!!!!

D

Duel

Oh, and pretty much every red-slpash deck can use more skizziks. That's a general rule. It's a very useful creature.

Z

Zadok001

On what basis does Jade Leech even compare? HE doesn't want it targetted, there's no Rancors or GGs. It takes out blockers, so you can save burn for the other guy, or it does 15 damage, so you can burn or Skizzik him to death. The fact that it can't be Vendettaed/Snuffed/Sever Souled, etc. just makes it stronger. I _like_ Blastoderm in that slot.

D

Duel

I'm sorry. I've spent this time under the delusion that Jade Leech affects everyone.....

F

FoundationOfRancor

Well, heres my red-green hammer ponza type deck, called the

"Hammer Ressurected" deckGreen (19)
- 4 Blastoderm (2GG)
- 4 Kavu Titan (1G, Kicker: 2G)
- 4 Utopia Tree (1G)
- 3 Creeping Mold
- 4 Mana Birds (G)

Red (16)
- 3 Hammer (1RR, Buyback: 2RRR)
- 3 Earthquake (XR)
- 2 Stone Rain
- 4 Seal of Fire (R)
- 4 Pillage (1RR)

Artifact (3)
- 3 Troll-Horn Cameo (3)

Land (24)
- 4 Shivan oasis
- 4 Karplusian Forest
- 3 Dust Bowl
- 6 Forest
- 7 Mountain

Mana ACC is key to this deck, it mixes extremely well with kicker and The Hammer. I hope this helps!

D

Duel

How about Overabundace? I bet you can use your mana better than your opponent can use his.....

T

Thrash Golem

NEVER REPLACE HAMMER WITH URZA'S RAGE
unless of course you're 6

D

Daenen

Well, boys and girls, my deck has gone under some serious surgery, but I think it came out ok. Tell me what you think of this bad-boy:

11 Forest
8 Mountains
4 Swamps

4 Birds
4 Harrow
4 Blasto
2 Woodripper (awesome blocker, good extra ability)
2 Creeping Mold

3 Seal of Fire
3 Urza's Rage
3 Hammer
3 Skizzit

4 Dark Rit
4 Snuff Out

The deck usually works like this (3/5 on Appr.):

turn 1: Forest, Bird
Turn 2: Swamp, Dark Rit, Tap out, Harrow, leaving a G and a B mana, respectivly. Drop 2 lands, and drop something mean and evil, either Skizzik or Blastoderm.
turn 3: Continue beatings.

D

Duel

I dunno, I'm skeptical, but if you say it needs black, well....

Anyways, I'd maindeck a tsabo's decree, for those pesky rebels.