Type Two: Most Influential Card

• Thread starter FoundationOfRancor
  • Start date
T

Thrash Golem

My guess is Rishadan Port. It inspires little kids to go out and spend $60 to get 4, then ruin their deck by putting 4 in every deck they make for no reason other than its expensive.

T

Thrash Golem

AND - armageddon took out all the land for any deck. if they're playing many colors, i'd have to go for stone rain or pillage.

D

Duel

After invasion hits?
After Masticore Cycles out?

Then I'd pick Derm.

Why? It's become the standard "Must deal with" card. Every deck needs a defense against a third turn Derm.

M

Mundungu

I agree that armaggeddon becomes always better as the environment slows down.

The most USEFUL (not influencial I know but the card that will start being traded bad again soon)
will be BIRDS OF PARADISE

C

Crazy Pierre

It's for sure Masticore. It's in nearly any deck that can
support it, it kills virtually everything, it regenerates,
it's fat...Masticore baby!

M

Mikeymike

Hate to break it to you man, but Masticore isn't Type 2 anymore well in few a few weeks anyways.

Melkor

Um, it was made pretty clear that this is the post Urza's type 2 thats being discussed so it is obviously not Masticore.

Funny but it seems the conversation has come down to Armageddon, Blastoderm, and some people saying Rishadan Port. Seems like BlastoGeddon is going to be a popular decktype come the new type 2 environment and hell the deck can even use the Ports too.

G

Gizmo

I think the popular consensus is that the environment will largely break to decks running mana accel and big green creatures, probably with Geddon for flavour. In that case the most obvious way to metagame would be to deny mana to the other player:

Armageddon, the classic but weakened by the general poor quality of white spells. On the plus side it`s a piece of piss to splash into any other deck (I`ve seen designs with 4 Geddons as their only white card and with 4 CoBrass and 3 Archeological Dig). Will see use in Rebels and any number of 4c/5c Green decks.

Rising Waters, not as devastating as Geddon but locks up the board when used alongside Ports and a mana producer. The dark horse, more likely to support a Geddon deck as Geddon #5-8 than run it`s own deck. I`m looking at a U/W Troublesome Spirit deck that it could fit in.

Tectonic Break, amazing because it`s the colour of all those 'R: destroy target Bird Of Paradise' spells which we will be wanting to play with. Bad because Chill bends it over the table...

Parallax Tide, only a temporary effect but one-sided and that could be crucial. Needs to be carefully planned to be used in a deck and not made to look sub-Waters. Combination with Ankh Of Mishra might be crucial.

Jokulhaups, unlikely to be used. Classically 2cc too expensive or too devastating to avoid the effects yourself.

D

DÛke

...wouldn't there be a lot of multi colored decks due to Invasion?
YES, there will be.

Rishadan Port - Will effect the environment SO MUCH, since it could bascially, and easily, ruin all those Multi decks.

Dust Bowl - Just like the Port, this will be used heavily.

Wintermoon Mesa - I could see this coming into play. It's not that hard to imagen now, with the slow environment, this card could be a Multi deck's nightmare.

AND ONE MORE CARD EVERYONE FORGOT TO MENTION:

TANGLE WIRE - The scarry part is that any deck could run 4 of these, just like all the lands above, but THIS is much more effective, and IT WILL SCREW some decks all over and IT WILL SLOW DOWN THE ENVIRONMENT even more. I could see Blue Control and Black/Blue control decks running 4 Wires each, since they slow the game down even slower than it is, AND since Blue has ACC Counterspells, it doesn't have to worry SHOULD the opponent manages to get ANYTHING DANGEROUS earily.

IF you look above, you'd see three lands. Three non-basic lands that will likely rule the T2 scene. WHAT card is most effective against all these? UM, how about that Web artifact from Invasion?
It stops ALL OF THEM, AND GIVES YOU A CARD! HOW ABOUT THAT!

F

FoundationOfRancor

Tsabo's Web
2, Artifact, Rare
When Tsabo's Web comes into play, draw a card.
Lands with an activated ability that doesn't produce mana don't untap during their controllers' untap steps.

It does not effect Tangle Wire. And this card will barely be used, it makes more sense to simply put in 4 ports yourself.

Armegeddon
Tangle Wire
Blastoderm
Rishidan Port

These seem to be the breakers...stock up now...

D

DÛke

...I know it doesn't effect Tangle Wire.
That's why, in my post, I said,

"look at the three non-basic lands on the list, what do they have in common, they're all non-basic lands. What card could be used to stop all of them?....."

---Or something like that...

G

Gizmo

The Wire`s advantage is purely temporal, if you do not gain a game-winning advantage in the two turns where the Wire is actually effective then you may as well not be using them. Few, if any, decks in Invasion will be fast enough to do so.
I think Tangle Wire becomes a crap card when Urza`s block leaves.

My top 5 influential cards, in no particular order:
Armageddon
Rising Waters
Crusade
Chill
Perish

M

Mikeymike

The only enviro. I can compare it to is in 2 Headed Giant. Granted, its no tourney scene but the speed the game moves at is fairly similar to the clunky post-Invasion Type 2. By the time you play the Wire (turn 2 or 3), it only gives a one turn advantage for your team (20 opponent taps vs. 12 taps for you). The advantage you get is minimal, and it slows down an already slow game even more, giving Blue Mages and other Control decks time to reach critical mass. It was useful only about 50% of the time, but the negatives outweighed the positives.

I'll stick with my vote for Port (although Armageddon decks will be the plague to prepare for)

D

Duel

5 Most influential of MBC-6 (T2, soon) This is NOT a "best of" list.

1. Blastoderm. It's the basic threat. Every deck needs to be able to stop one.

2. Rising Waters. It made it's own decktype. Cards that have done that recently: Bargain, replenish, Derm, morphling, tinker. See?

3. Mageta the lion. It formed white-control out of rebel. It's a good card, but more importantly, it beats out Wrath of God in many decks, and any card that does that is good.

4. Snuff Out. Free removal. This vies with Vendetta because one of the two is in EVERY black deck I've seen.

5. Chimeric Idol. every colorn can use a 3/3 on turn 3. the drawback is often negligable. Plus it survives mageta.

Notice, if you will, the lack of red. Red just hasn't really impacted MBC6. Yet. I expect that to change with Obliterate.
Also, though I just saw this, my top 5 have 2 from prophecy, 2 from nemesis, and 1 from masques. That's very even. From Urza's block, the top 5 would look like nothing so neat.

T

The Magic Jackal

Most influencial card, by color:

Red: probably skizzik, but i can see baluvian horde kicking some major ass
Green: blastoderm, and to a lesser extent, birds of paradise
Blue: tough one here, most blue cards suck too much to mention. Fact or fiction.
white: tie between mageta, armageddon, and linsivvi. Each of these will be the main threat in each of their own decks.
Black: vamp tutor, what else?
Artifact: Tangle wire
Land: Port

N

Namielus

Black : Terror
Blue : Counter Spell
Green : Lawnowar
Red : Shock
White : Wrath of God
Land : Port
Arifact : All the Diamonds

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

the most influential card will be birds of paradise simply because they tap for any color of mana and cost only one, if this is in your hand first turn you usually have mana advantage

"the light is merely an illusion, for those too timid to embrace the darkness"