A NON cynical take on Invasion

D

Duel

Blue. I expect black-blue dying skies to be common.
White blue control will make a showing
and green-blue friendly skies will be there.

C

Cateran Emperor

My mistake, you are correct that you never said Off Topic was stupid. I was thinking of someone else, but I'll just let it slide there and not accuse anyone else ;)

PJ, I'm not talking about creature enhancements on the Elite, I'm talking about P/T increasing spells along the lines of Giant Growth. I'm gonna just let this go too, as nobody's listening to me on this anyway.

Giz, the point you make on Negator is a perfectly valid one. I still disagree, but that's the most logical argument I've heard from you yet.

The Masticore, however, is another story. At 3/3 It would have been CLOSER to being balanced, but still not fair. For those kind of abilities to be balanced, make it maybe a 2/4 or so and keep the same CC. Of course, not it's not nearly so good, so possibly an entirely different sort of upkeep would be required. The mana intensiveness it does have, but let's take your own advice and not be quite so arbitrary and look at the environment. Gaea's Cradle. Priest of Titania. Crop Rotation. Grim Monolith. Thran Dynamo. Voltaic Key. Tolarian Academy. Okay, so not the Academy, but just imagine if it were still around with Tinker :eek: Suddenly, it's not quite so mana intensive when you've got such an incredible amount of potential mana floating around. Now put the Masticore in, say, Tempest block. Not quite so insane anymore as you can't produce 20 billion mana on turn 5 :) I would be kidding normally, but with Academy legal it IS possible, so thank god they caught that one quick ;). The discard advantage is a fairly decent drawback, but not nearly enough of one for something such as this. I would say maybe discard a card at random, but hey, I would also say make it a 0/1 :D

Seriously though, just one last rant on this. A decent smi-version of the Masticore is one of my favorite creatures from the absurd block, Phyrexian Plaguelord. Excellent abilities and also a reasonable size for the mana cost.

Interesting, but indeed you do provide a different dimension of play. Different, yes. Better, not to me :D
Btw Spiderman, I never said there was anything wrong with it. As I said I was merely curious.

You may have noticed by the subject, but I've noticed the lack of ANYTHING new happening on this thread. Kinda like the CPA notables off topic thread one did eventually :D (Um, just kidding Almindhra, now put down the knife. Put it aaaaaa! ;) ) j/k , this is getting considerably like the We're both arrogant and stubborn enough to keep this going for months on end, so I'lm just cutting this off right now. I have an irritating number of other things to do (why are there ALWAYS more papers to write??? :mad: )

Sorry for trying to convince you that the cards you like are boring. I promise to let you play with uninteresting cards in the future.

P

Pseudonym

i have not been here that long, but i've been here long enough to notice this: old "gizmo" is an egotistical, self-centered prick with little to really offer in the way of solid advice and lots to offer in the way of smugness and a highly condesending tone.

the rest of you may have your heads 2 feet up his ass, but i am not impressed.

as no one else had the balls to say this, i felt i had to, and i do not care who hates me now for it.

i'll probably never be able to show myself here again, but i can not stand people with an elitist atitude.

P

Purple_jester

Pseudonym, I will not comment on that flame, but let me just say that it was in bad form. Say what you want about one guy, but to insult a lot of other people is (as Zadok would put it) a Bad Thing (TM). Keep it cool, please. :)

And CE, didn't you mention something below about reading the whole post before commenting? If you read my entire last post, you would have seen the paragraph dedicated to stating how I tested the Elite with G-Growths and Seals and Wild Might. Just in case you weren't paying attention, let me repeat myself verbatim:

"...I've done some testing on the Llanowar Elite. In a fast elf deck (strictly new Type 2), with Seals of Growth, Giant Growths and especially Wild Mights, the Elites become very dangerous, provided they come out early (a distinct possibility with 4 of them in a deck). A second turn attacking 6/6 trampler is a frightening thing. So to vindicate what CE said, yes, the Elite CAN be dangerous in the right kind of deck. I limited myself to the cards legal in the new Standard, and the deck was fun to use."

There. I won't hold this one against you, okay? ;) I wasn't focusing on creature enchantments either. However, I couldn't help thinking of how this creature would be a great target for Aspect of Wolf.

C

Cateran Emperor

Oops, my mistake PJ :eek: i didn't have much time for your post, and i must apoligize for that.

Pseuddonym, glad to see someone else..wait, no. I'm not gonna start the whole thing up again. Pseudonym, despite the fact that you may be right (j/k all :D ) you can say the same about me, as I'm acting the same way with exactly the opposite views. At the least, try and be polite about saying you don't agree, but calling him a "prick"... well, I'd hope you can be a bit more refined next time. At least I respect his opinion, and I'd hope you can do the same. Remember, a little courtesy goes a long way.

Whoo, that sounded like an after school special :confused: ...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
CE: I know you were curious, I was just voicing my opinion :). I mean, you can't expect everyone to agree with your ratings and who knows, maybe Gizmo caused you to rethink a little how you do them :).

Pseudonym: First, let's watch the language.

Second, you're right, you haven't been here a long and if you have, you would have gotten a feel for Gizmo's tone in his posts long before this to know he's not an arrogant ***** (IMHO). I could say I haven't known YOU very long but already (pretty much on the basis of that post) I can say that you have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about and perhaps you should stick to lurking a bit more before posting :rolleyes: See how easy that was? It's very easy to jump to snap judgements and of course, you're entitled to your own opinion but unless you keep it civil and constructive, frankly the opinion is worthless and drivel.

[me] drags Gizmo back from the corner...[/me]

D

Duel

Second the motion!

Gizmo has a good eye for cards and decks. I trust his ideas. Don't always agree, but generally, I find that he has a reason for what he does.

Meanwhile, back on topic:
INVASION IS VERSATILE!
I can play speed (though not as fast as before)
and slow (definately!)
And any color(s). Especially the "(s)" part.

"Remove head from sphincter, then talk."