RDW2k (Invasion Remix)

G

Gizmo

Hows this for an Invasion update to Red Deck Wins?

4 Shock
4 Seal Of Fire
2 Scorching Lava
4 Rhystic Lightning
3 Hammer Of Bogardan
3 Mages Contest
4 Pillage
1 Lighting Blast
2 Tectonic Break (RANDOM!)

2 Kris Mage
4 Rogue Kavu
4 Skizzik

4 Rishadan Port
19 Mountain

Looks good to me.

N

nanokill

nice update.......good choices also.......good job gizmo.......

A

Apollo

I know very little about T2, but it looks good to me. If I had to play in a type 2 tournament, this is the deck I'd play.

P

plaguelord2000

it looks good you might want to add a few more creatures for blocking and some damage. over all it looks good

Z

Zadok001

Down on the creature scene, are we, Giz?

:)

Not being much for aggro decks myself, I don't know really what needs to be added/changed. But I think you missed the boat on Urza's Rage... That seems like quite a strong basic burn card, IMHO. Yes, no? Am I dumb?

"I can get into this forum again!"

D

DÛke

...Zadok is right about Urza's Rage. Most people think of Urza's Rage as a 12 mana cost card; they foget the basic, easier to play version. 3 mana for 3 points of damage isn't all that great, but with Blue and all those ACC counters, you'd want atleast 2 of these in your deck, just to make them "feel the burn":).

And, if you really dislike Urza's Rage, you could add them to your SB. If Urza's Rage doesn't belong in a main deck, than it is a 100% SB card to have.

I love Skizzik, and I don't even playe Red; god knows how Red players feel when they play a Skizzik:)! I bet they feel pumped up!

T

The Magic Jackal

Urza's rage isn't necessiary, he's playing the rage's older superior brother, the hammer. In all seriousness, hammer is about 1000000000000000 times better then urza's rage. I suppose you know that gizmo, so I won't waste time explaining it. Here's what i think of the deck:

-3 mages contest (I don't really think this is necessiary, overkill really. When they play a card that you need to counter, I think you'll find you'll be within one or two hammers of winning)
-1 lightening blast (why only one? It seems really random)

+4 baluvian horde

No joke, I think we'll see the start of the return of the horde. 5/5 for four mana is tough to beat these days. Even kills blastoderm.

On another note, my team spent a good deal of the weekend brainstorming for the new type two season. Everyone seemed to agree that ponza will be a surperior deck to RDW2K. Other deck types that appeared: tanglestompy, fat stompy, rebel (duh), u/w rising waters (nasty deck with kismet), g/w, white control, maro/blastogeddon (old decktype coming back to dominate?), r/g rush, dark ponza, overabundance burn, u/g. I would include the decklists, but a lot of them were not my design. I will probably post up some of my decks when i finish tuning them.

G

Gizmo

Yeah.
The thing that nags me is that Ponza ALWAYS looks like it`s going to be good, but never is.
And having just lost Riders, Wildfires, Masticores and Encampments, and with Ports and Bowls under sige from Webs and Responses, I`m not sure this is the best time to try it.

And I think the Contest is REALLY good.
How much life is an Absolute Law worth anyway? You just have to bear in mind whether or not you want to use it as a counterspell or a burn spell. You would be happy to see them lose 4 life probably (makes it competitive to Rhystics) and if they pay 6 or more then you`ll quickly drop them with DD. But sometimes you just want to stop the spell - I`d pay 19 life to counter a COP:Red so long as they had to pay 20 to keep it.
:p

T

The Magic Jackal

Absolute law won't be in type two , so we don't need to worry about that. The main problem is story circle/cop: red, and pro red critters (mainly thermal gliders and the incredibly cheap crimson acolyte). The main loss here is Nasty masty, who would shoot them out of the sky.

Rebel seems to be there deck that has all the components to stop ponza. I have yet to find a good solution to this problem, but there are some that come to mind. First off you should be able to slow down thier recruiting w/ ld, and then take care of any critters with dd. Then plop down a monster and force them to play defense (something rebels don't like to do. Chimeric idol and anchient kavu can also help w/ a cop red, or pro red creatures. I don't really think web will be a problem, since red doesn't have a problem getting rid of artifacts.

Here's a ponza deck I've been working on for the new type two:

3 flowstone overseer
1 two headed dragon
4 veteran brawlers
4 chimeric idol
4 stone rain
4 pillage
4 tec break
4 shock
4 earthquake
2 hammers
4 tangle wire
3 fire diamond
13 mountain
4 port
4 sandstone needle
2 dustbowl

Please excuse my deck for being 64 cards, I haven't had a lot of time for playtesting, so I haven't arrived at a version that I''m completely comfortable with.

Ponza is getting a lot of hype for a good reason. Invasion (as we all know) is the return of multi-color. What's stops multicolor? Ponza. If you can control all of one type of their land, then your reducing their deck to 20 playable cards and 20 dead cards. I'm not saying ponza will be the best deck out there, which i don't think it will, but i strongly believe that It will be much stronger then in the current type two enviroment, despite the loss of riders, encampment, and masty (I never really saw wildfire being played much). The environment will be so much slower that the loss of these great cards won't alter it's power much.

G

galtwish

3 Kris Mage
4 Shock
4 Seal of Fire
2 Scorching Lava
4 Rogue Kavu
3 Hammer of Bogardan
4 Mage's Contest
1 Urza's Rage
3 Rhystic Lightning
4 Skizzix
2 Ghitu Fire
3 Earthquake
4 Dust Bowl
19 Mountian

I don't see a lot of Artifacts that I want to kill, as Tangle Wire will come down too fast to Pillage, and nothing stands out from Masques or Invasion to warrent it main deck. Additionally, I'd rather Strip the new Invasion lands and Ports than Port them. After that, I think that Earthquake is a necessary additon, considering you have even fewer creatures than RDW2K pre-Invasion, and Rebels will definately be a factor. Ghitu Fire is an instant Blaze or a regular one, so it is worth throwing a couple in as big finishers as well as 1 Urza's Rage.

Mage's contest is the best card Red has recieved since Fireblast. Against non-counter decks, it should be game. I'll pay 14 to counter Blastoderm...

SB should include 2 more Scorching Lava to get rid of Nether Spirits, 3 more Urza's Rage to defeat U and W, and some Boil/Flashfires, and some of the new tech cards from Invasion. Cool deck over all, but I think it will have a real problem against Draw-Go/Spirit decks.

erik

G

Gizmo

Good point re: Pillage. Maybe there is another version with Tec Breaks and Lava Runners? Hmm, sounds bad already.

I`m REALLY certain I`d rather use Ports than Bowls, though. And you Earthquake argument doesn`t really hold up as my RDW2k is currently only running 11 Quakeable monsters, and so is this version. Quake is good, and worth considering, but doesn`t auto-include because I`m dropping the creature count.

So pull the Pillages and Breaks from my deck and say I have 6 spare slots...What`s the shortlist?

D

Duel

Looking at what we're facing, I might actually take out the Rogue Kavu.
Chimeric Idol provides better creature defense, if you can pay the cost, and rogue kavu never struck me as the greatest card in the world.

Mages contest is GREAT. 4 are needed. With so much direct damage available, they may pay 7 life to get a Derm through, and play right into the hands of Urza's rage (I think 2 should be in the deck, just for versatility and late game finishers).

Maniacal rage may be worth it. Pay 2 to give your skizzik +2/+2? How about Downhill charge?

G

Gizmo

The Rogue Kavu is the aggressive card. You put it down and then use the burn to clear your opponent`s creatures out of the way so it can go in for 3 each turn.

G

galtwish

Agreed on the Kavu: Until there is a better card, this is the man. Port over Bowl really depends on how W/U, U/B, and W/G end up figuring into the mix. My God, Mage's Contest is good. Those 6 spots should go to something that gives Blue and/or White fits-which is yet to be seen. Maybe more Kris Mages/Arc Mages? Chimeric Idols for the SB, as you don't have any maindeck D-chant targets. Possibly Complex Automaton for the SB too? IU know he doesn't go well with Hammer, but you can't have everything.

Erik