why is black lotus so good?

O

orangejuice64

Besides the fact that it's free, why is black lotus so good? All it goves you is 3 mana of any 1 color when you sacrifice it. it's not like 3 mana of any color combo when you sacrifice it...

...so what's the big deal?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Anytime you can get more mana than what the game constrains you to normally, that's good.

On the first turn, including a land and Black Lotus (forget about Moxes for now), that's four mana. You tell me what you can pop out for four mana on the first turn, compared to just playing a dinky land and popping out a 1cc spell.

That's why all of the (free) mana accelerators have pretty much been restricted (Sol Ring, Lotus Petal, Mana Vault, Fastbond, etc). Anything that lets you get more mana than your normal one-per-turn for cheap can be potentially abusing.

W

Whimsical

3 mana of any color you choose is bad? <laughs> Land + Lotus back then equaled either Juzam or Ernham ... on the first turn. Fat lot of good you can do against that, unless you happen to be playing white (in which case, feel free to Plow the big meanie).

First turn meanies possible because of a Lotus in hand:
Ernham ... the big meanie.
Juzam ... even bigger meanie.
Balduvian Horde ... red's meanie.
Blasted-derm/Hunted Wumpus ... more green meanies.
Masticore ... new meanie.

First turn nightmares (outta a zillion):
Channel/any X-cheese = you dead
Rack/Mindtwist your hand away = you're screwed

I'm sure the other people here in the CPA can give a more mathematical/analytical explanation for you ... I'm a very casual player who just likes the pretty pictures. Ergo, I had to use the illustrative approach... ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
...pretty pictures...

I didn't want to get into the creatures specifically because I know there are pretty cheap ways of getting rid of most of them (Swords, Terror, etc) but it's true, facing a 4/4 or 5/5 on the first turn that can potentially take away 1/4th of your life total before doing anything can be slightly demoralizing. Plus it means you're reacting to their deck and on the defensive (which may not be a bad thing, depending on the deck you're playing) right off the bat.

D

Daenen

Watch carefully, kiddies.
Lotus, Mountain
Tap Mountain
Sac Lotus for Green Mana
Channel (GR in pool) for 19 green mana
We now have GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGR in pool (that's 20 green and 1 red)
Fireball for 20.
You're turn, bud.

R

Rando

The last set they printed Channel in was 4th edition. I've got wads of 'em if anyone wants a couple.

Hey! lookie here! I'm posting on a Saturday!

Hmmm...

O

orangejuice64

Whoa! You have "wads" of channels?

Your'e gonna give me some, arent you? :D

R

Rando

If you really want to trade something for the Channels, put a post in the trade forum.

I

Istanbul

Here's a thought for you.

Play Island.
Tap Island, play Sol Ring.
Play Black Lotus.
TapSac Black Lotus for UUU.
Tap Sol Ring.
Play Morphling, first turn.

Either you start the game with a Swords in hand, or you lose. And you'd better hope I don't have a Force of Will.

N

Nyx

The short version of why the black lotus is so good is that it's the engine behind most of the first-turn victories.

Also, Channel only nets you colorless, not Green mana. But you can still use it to power an X-cost red burn.

D

Duel

Anyone read the invitational? Finkel's first turn with Dolan's World champion deck:

City of Brass, Black lotus, Mox emerald, Serra angel.
"Good luck, pal"

Rubin lost that game.

Need another example? Finkel, again, in the same tournament, with 3 moxes in play:

Obliterate. Cast mox pearl, mox jet, black lotus. Sacrifice the lotus, add 3 black to my pool. Yawmoth's will. Replay the other three moxes, the lotus, and tolarian academy. Mind twist you for 6(all rubin had) and stroke of genius myself for 3.

Needless to say, Finkel won.

Lotus is not NECESSARY for the deck, but it really hurts your speed if you don't have it.

D

Duel

Finkel's playing not one, but TWO invasion cards in his t1 deck. the other is teferi's response.