Anime

F

Fire Slinger

Tank Police rulz!
I've only seen a few anime movies, but the ones I've seen were really cool.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

One of my favorites is Dragon Half (especially the SD)

U

Ura

El-Hazard!! :D
Its where I get my name sake from. :)

Oh yeah, Tenchi Muyo OAV's are really good too. So is Dragon Half cause its got chibi's!

D

Densmore

anime has its ups and downs,but the games based on anime are just friggin cool to play.
see the new vampire hunter D game?`nuff said

D

Darsh

I haven't played it yet but I read that every magazine and website gave it a bad score.:(

And here I was hopeing to to have some demon killing fun.:(

Z

Zadok001

[me] shivers [/me]

Anime? *shiver*

I deeply dislike anime. I freely admit to have not watched much of it, but what I've seen has been generally god-awful. I've seen Gundam Wing and Dragonball-Z, both of which seemed like janked up action movies without a specific purpose (only one episode of each, though, so I could be wrong).

Watching Escaflowne wasn't _too_ bad (at least that had a solid plot), but between animation that looked like a 70s cartoon, and only having one real 'character' along side a bunch of cardboard cutouts (and the only realy character was an insane evil guy!) and a cat. The plot was cool, but lacking in a conclusive ending, and pretty screwy in a few places, obviously drawing from other sources.

Then there was *SHIVER* Kenshin. Ouch. I saw two episodes/segments/whatevers of that. Brr.... It couldn't have been worse if it had been trying! During a battle scene (which happened to be better than most), I QUOTE: "I measured the length of his arm with my sword." During a fight. Uh-huh. Righto.

And I thought the characters in Escaflowne were weak; the characters in Kenshin were literally bits of paper in the breeze. One rule of good literature and movies: When a character starts a speech like a brilliant orator with money to spare, he should not end it like some random bum off the street. Kenshin flung this rule to the floor and danced on it. And it wasn't just the translation, either.

And I've seen some other random animes too. Some oddball thing with tiny fairies that couldn't decide if it was being normal or The Wizard of Oz. Something with a huge Phoenix that was really an airplane, or somesuch nonsense. About thirty seconds of painfully dubbed Pokemon. (Ya' know, the subtitles really make the anime about ten times better? Even then...)

Finally, there was Mononoke Hime, the _only_ anime I have thoroughly enjoyed. That was an _awesome_ masterpiece, with characters worthy of a medal. The plot, people, and ideas presented were very solid, well written, brilliantly timed, and even well animated. And beyond all that, the pyschological and philosophical implications behind the Mononoke were carefully planned and considered, and were actually fun to think about...

*brr....*

I am not an anime person. I like my movies either well animated, with frames _between_ the character looking straight up and the same guy sitting down crosslegged. And characters don't hurt. Maybe I've just had bad anime examples. But you won't get me to watch more...

N

Namielus

Anime, *good maybe, bad yes.

Here is why.

Mononoke Hime was damn good *(thats the good part). Same with Escaflowne, but as Zadok said, there was only 1 character that mattered, and that whole atlatis plot thing was dumnb. Reeca is also cool, same with Slayers.

Bad is just about everything else I've seen, Kenshin, Dragon Ballz, and a bunch of other nameless ones, they were completely awful.

D

Densmore

comparing the rest of anime to DBZ and gundam wing is like comparing all horror movies by the return of the undead moneky spiders,its just not the real expierince.

before you diss anime watch ghost in the shell, wings of H., ninja scroll,perfect blue and beautiful dreamer (weird sotry,but cool as hell).that way you can get a better idea of what anime can be.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I will restate my point:

DUBBED ANIME SUCKS. THIS IS TRUE.

SUBTITLED ANIME IS GOOD.

ORIGINAL JAPANESE ROCKS (except for the slight problem that I don't know Japanese).

In many of the cases that you refered to, it was the problem of the translation. Besides, anime is not just meant to be watched, like most of what we Americans watch. It is meant to be experienced. Obviously, this means that a large amount of the people in our culture will have a hard time enjoying it, as they can't feel anything.

The reason that the plots of many dubbed animes are bad is that entire episodes are commonly cut out and replaced with a few scenes from other episodes.

How far into Gundam Wing was the episode you saw? If it was near the end, obviously you might not have known what was happenning.

baka oni guyjin :)

By the way, Darsh, pretty much every single anime-based game ever made (I could be wrong) has been rated horribly, but that doesn't mean the game is horrible, that just means the reviewers were too lazy to care about the basis of the game at all. Get used to it.

D

Dark_Tira

Thallid Ice Cream Man is right on all points. I have seen literally hundreds of episodes of anime and I have seen my share of bad anime(aside from dubs which are always bad)and simply because some anime is bad doesn't mean all anime sucks. From my perspective anyone who says anime is bad simply hasn't gotten a proper exposure to it(Except for Zadok who's insane when it comes to anime). There are as many types of anime as there are movies and television shows in the US so it's often just finding a genre or series of anime which fits your style.

M

MrXarvox

I'll assume It's the dubbed Escaflowne you criticize, Zadok... If it isn't, I shall have to destroy you.
The Vision of Escaflowne kicks ass!
I've seen it subbed, the way they cut and edited it for america is pitiful.. I only watched the first episode on fox and was disgusted.