Casual Invasion: Coalition Victory

R

rkoelsch

There is an artifact creature that comes into play as whatever color you chose. Also don't forget Prismatic lace for color changing and Slyph changes colors I think there is another one. I envision a Blue-Green deck with counters, land searchers and some creatures. I doubt the environment is slow enough to tourney worthy but it would be fun to try.

R

rkoelsch

It says if you have a Sliver Queen, a Taiga, a Tundra and a swamp when the spell resolves you win. How cool.

M

Mundungu

I definitly think that dual lands are out of the picture.

If not it might really be easy to pull off.
Just have a counter oath type of deck with a couple of duals and a sliv queen.

Or just the counter sliver, with that particular card as a finsiher.

The card doesnt not say control a swamp, forest, plain, Island and mountain it says :
If you control a basic land of each type

Dual lands count as both types but ARE NOT basic lands. I might be wrong though.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Gotta agree with Mundungu; if the wording is indeed "basic lands" then Duals do not count for (hopefully) obvious reasons.

Z

Zadok001

What Victory does as far as land types are concerned is this:

It looks at game state, and asks, 'Do you control a Swamp? A Mountain? Forest? Plains? Island? Black creature? Red creature? Green creature? White creature? Blue creature?' If it gets all 'Yes' responses, you win. Thus, if you control a Swamp, Sliver Queen, Taiga, and Tundra, you win when you cast it.

(Shyft is rather impressive, but not very good in general...)

A

arhar

Guys, there's been errata on Dual Lands.

So, Taiga reads "This card counts as both forest and mountain" instead of "Add R or G to your mana pool". In other words, IT WORKS.

C

Captain Caveman

Re: Dual Lands
If duals really fill the requirement that it would be easy
to work it into a Rec/Sur deck.

Here's my partly proxied version I play sometimes.

Rec/Sur/Coalition

4 Survival of the Fittest
4 Recurring Nightmare
1 Oath of Ghouls
1 Coalition Victory
2 Goblin Bombardment
4 Wall of Roots
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Ashen Ghoul
1 Spike Weaver
1 Squee
1 Uktabi Orangutan
1 Monk Idealist
1 Spike Feeder
1 Sliver Queen
2 Monk Realist
1 Avalanche Rider
4 Academy Rector
1 Ghitu Slinger
1 Kroviken Horror
4 Savannah
3 Tropical Island
4 Scrubland
4 Bayou
2 Phyrexian Tower
3 City of Brass
3 Tiaga

N

Namielus

If your bluiding for speed (which is hard cause you need 1 of each colored mana) what do you do about land destuction? will 1 raze stop you dead, 1 turn away from winning? well I have a fix, a horrible horrible stupid fix, but this isn't the story of the fix this is the story of its repercussions...

Opps thinking about HHGTG, sorry you need to stick Sacared Ground in your deck.

Yea, really horribly stupid. Also you might want lifeline or dense foliage in there too keep your creatures around.

T

Thrash Golem

oh yeah i finally got everything to cast coalition victory!!!!

"rethink"

D'OH

or there's possibility of stone rain

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
... or play the same record...

Does anyone have the actual wording on this card?

I think people are getting "Basic Land" mixed up with "Land Types". Hopefully we're agreed that Duals are non-basic lands.

Having it say "This counts as x and y" does not mean it counts as a basic land. If C.V. says "basic land" it is of my opinion that you need five individual Forests, Swamps, Mountains, Plains, and Islands (Snow-Covered if you want :)). If C.V. says "control a forest, swamp, blah, blah, blah" then I would agree with you that Duals count.

If you still think the former, think of all the search cards for basic lands (which I can't come up off the top of my head right now :rolleyes: :). Would Duals count in those cases? Hopefully the answer is no here too...

G

Gizmo

The official wording from WotC is that you can do it with 3 dual lands and a Sliver Queen.

D

Dune Echo

Think of Coalition Victory in this way, you can discard/remove it to pay for any costs of the ACC spells. Works wonderfully for playing them in multicolor decks if you can't cast it. However, it's not necessarily conducive to card advantage.

T

The Undertaker

Coalition Victory
3, Sorcery, Rare
You win the game if you control a land of each basic land type and a creature of each color.
Illus. Donato Giancola (241/350)

That is a copy and paste from the spoiler on MTGNews.com. The Duals have errata that state they are a basic land of the two colors of mana. The wording of Coalition says you control a land, not a basic land, of each basic land type. Unless they change the wording of the card or errata it, Duel lands should work for the conditions of this spell.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Scrappy Dappy. But I don't think I'll be playing with any coalition stuff. They look too complicated to activated. Sorry, IT looks too complicated.

Ransac, a.k.a. Jellyfish Man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Roger that, Undertaker, but I already said I agreed that Duals work (and I was pretty much the one saying it needed clarification, so I'm assuming your comment was aimed at me. If not, I apologize).

T

The Undertaker

Actually, it wasn't directed at anyone. I only read the first page and did not see the 2nd page when I made my response. It was still in debate then. Needless to say, it has been a long week. hehehehe

B

Baskil

Just play mana maze before you cast the spell, when you play it, no other spells can be played, unless there's an instant artifact.