Casual Invasion: Coalition Victory

G

Gizmo

Coalition Victory
RWGUB3
Sorcery
Rare
If you control a basic land of each type, you win the game.

We liked L5R so much we bought the company!
And then we made our other game into it, as well.
What does Silverglade Pathfinder do again?

It`s not a tourney card, but I see it getting some casual play.

R

Rando

I thought it was one basic land of each type AND one creature of each color that you have to control.

J

JKA2545

Hrm, this is most definetely not a tourney card, but I can see a lot of fun with it in some multiplayer games.

D

Duel

Uh huh.

This card and Spirit of resistance were designed by 7-year-olds on crack.

There will be decks BASED around that card, and the only way to win will be A: blow their stuff up. B: counter the spell. C: kill them quickly.

Now, none of these are tough in a duel, but in multiplayer, you can play those decks and win ONCE. Then, you will NEVER go off again. Nobody likes losing to a card that allows someone to just "Win the game"

Z

Zadok001

That thing is SO not a threat. :) It's cute, though! Expect a lot of people to try it, but few to successfully use it.

N

Namielus

That card is, well bad, but good. See if you base a deck around it you can do ok, but I think that in the end you will end up being smashed by lots of people cause they know your playing it and its easy to pull off. I think it could be a got 'secondary' way to win with some of the other decks I've seen lately (all mostly creature distruction).

M

Mr_Pestilence

What's wrong with a new way to win? Presently, there is dealing 20 damage, milling out your opponent, giving him 10 poison counter, and out life-gaining your opponent w/ Celestial Convergence.

I admit most of the cards in this set seem pretty lame now, but at least WotC is trying something new, and slowing down the standard environment to emphasize strategy.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
One of my few opinions on these cards...

I gotta agree with Zadok; a basic land of each color? AND a creature from each color? Unless there is errata/clarification specifying that there needs to be 5 individual creatures so Sliver Queen doesn't count... still, a basic land of each color? The deck will probably be WAY diluted to have any real effect... unless you base it off of a couple colors, throw in a land or two from the others and use "basic land searching" spells to get them when you can win (this is assuming Sliver Queen counts as five creatures; if it doesn't, then it gets that much harder).

On the other hand, you know you'll win if you're ready to cast this and have that other enchantment in play about not being able to play spells of the same color of the spell last played :D

G

Gizmo

Should be easy in casual play.

What do Harrow and Natural Order do again?

P

Purple_jester

Green has lots of basic land searchers. Grangers, Silverglades, Elders, Harrow... Lots of multi-mana producers as well. All we need is a few multi-colored creatures and we have a nice fun deck.

A shot in the dark, yes. But it will be a matter of pride to achieve it. It would be directly analogous to scoring the World Domination agenda in Netrunner or achieving an Enlightenment Victory in L5R. ;)

I

Istanbul

White/Green deck.

Opalescence + a healthy dose of 5-color green + Coalition Victory = You win!

Harrow and other things help as well. :)

G

galtwish

Clear the Land+Soothsaying

Assuming that each creature may only fulfill one color requirement:
4 Fact or Fiction
4 Opt
3 Brainstorm
1 Clear the Land
3 Harrow
3 Soothsaying
3 Vampiric Tutor
3 R/B weenies
4 W/U weenies
4 Fetch Elves
4 Bop
1 Coalition Victory
1 Swamp
5 Island
7 Forest
1 Plains
1 Mountian
4 City of Brass
4 Underground River

Totally suboptimal right now, but a start none the less

Erik

F

Fire Slinger

How about this

An artifact deck

Use all the different basic lands

A couple of differnet color creatures

Walls

Artifact Creatures

Searchers (Blue and Black)

Distorting Len

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Relying on Distorting Lens seems a bit iffy... with an artifact deck. It can only change one creature's color a turn, and apparently you need all five in play at the same time (the way I'm reading the card). It might be better suited for a FOUR :) color deck and then you can just change one creature's color to the fifth.

F

Fire Slinger

True

I'm thinking of a 3 color deck with that blue legend that changes a permanents color UEOT, and Distorting Lens.

C

Chaos Turtle

I am declaring this right now.
Mark my words.

You will see a tourney-viable "Sliver Coalition" deck for Extended. (dual lands, Tithe, Land Grant{?}, Harrow, Yavimaya Elder, etc, etc)

Using this card in Standard will be more difficult, but it is possible and may even be viable.

You will see dozens of casual decks that win with this method.

To answer the obvious questions:
Yes, a Sliver Queen will fulfill the "creature of each color" requirement; and dual lands will fulfil two basic land type requirements each.

M

Mundungu

Turtle :
I believe the card says a basic land of each type.
I might be wrong but I do not believe that dual lands are considered as basic lands.

There are however a couple of other cards to consider :
Crop rotation
Land Tax : let you search up to 3 basic lands not only plains I think.

Green seems good with land manipulation, is best for 5 color play and has Survival of the fittest to go get the necessary creatures ...

What about planar birth ? (the white sorcery that return the basic lands from your graveyard into play) and the blue enchantment that lets you draw cards by ditching land ...

Kind of a land based replenish deck ???
There is potential, but I agree that it can probably be pulled off once only and then the opp will know what to look for.

Z

Zadok001

I've reconsidered this card based on a closer look at the spoiler (and the writing of my God spoiler). It's still not worth playing 4 copies of. But my 5c deck may very well include a single copy, simply because it's an unexpected win condition that can be pulled off with relative ease within the context of that deck. People keep forgetting that this card doesn't have to be the ONLY good way to win; I think it fits several decktypes nicely as a final Ace up the sleeve.