These cards are Rare?!?! WTF!

A

arhar

Gizmo means that if Rishadan Port would be Uncommon, people who wanted to be competitive in tournaments wouldn't have to shell $20 for one. I agree completely. Right now almost every competitive deck in T2 is 56 cards + 4 Rishadan Ports - $80 right there. Now imagine if Port was uncommon.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
TICM: I believe Elvish Archers is rare because first strike is not usually a green ability.

Same with those banding wolves.

D

Duel

I am of the firm belief that almost every card has a use. Except:

Crystal spray
2U
Instant
Change the text of target spell or permanent by replacing all instances of onecolor word or basic land type with another until end of turn.
Draw a card.

Because of:
Mind Bend
U
Instant
Change the text of target spell or permanent by replacing all instances of onecolor word or basic land type with another.

Melkor

Actually there are quite a few "obsolete" cards that have been replaced by cards that are strictly better. Yavimaya Wurm over Craw Wurm for instance, cost the same, have the same P/T, but Yavimaya has trample.

On the subject of bad rares though I would say that Red would have to win a contest between the colors for the most crappy rares. To illustrate a point once I made a deck that was made entirely of crappy red rares. The centerpiece of the deck was of course that wonderful card, Deadshot. Backing it up were Fighting Chance (the card where you wouldn't play it even if you didn't have to flip the coins) and Oath of Mages from Exodus. Followed by crap from every other set.

The reason rares make the worst cards are because you actually expect something of them. When you open the pack its almost always the rare that determines whether it was a good pack or not. Who cares if 1 or even several of your commons are bad? You get 11 of them in a pack, same thing with uncommons to a lesser extent. But you only get 1 rare and it needs to be good or at least decent or you might as well just have sniffed your $3.19 for the excess cocaine residue and then thrown the cash away.

Melkor
P.S. Apparently the dye used to make US currency bonds chemically with Cocaine(ain't that ironic?) and almost all US bills are contaminated with at least a little bit of the stuff. At least thats what I'm given to understand.

D

Duel

I don't judge a pack by it's rare. I judge it by it's cards. A pack with blastoderm, Massacre, and ancient hydra is worth a pale moon. I'm happy getting giant growth look-alikes....

Melkor

I didn't mean to suggest that some uncommons and some commons are not better than some rares. I have indeed gotten packs where the good commons and uncommons made up for a really sucky rare. However, this hasn't happened very often in my case. The reason commons and uncommons have such difficulty making up for a bad rare though is simply because you get more of them. Thinking in a simple monetary sense, a good, even great common can't make up for a crappy rare because you can just go buy the good common you need in the 5-10 cent common box. Uncommons are a little more tricky but largely the same principle applies, it doesn't seem like such an event to pull a good uncommon because you get 3 a pack, and again thinking in a monetary sense, even the best uncommons today don't go for the same price even average rares go for. If I get a pack and it has a few good commons, a good uncommon or 2, and a really bad rare, I can't help but think I could have saved some money buy just buying them out of the box of singles. Some people may object to thinking in monetary terms, a good card is a good card regardless of rarity, but because this is a Collectible Card game the cards themselves have value above and beyond their play value. I mean you wouldn't trade a Juzam Djinn(which is an uncommon I would very happy to see in my pack) for a Morphling or even many Morphlings even though Morphling is the superior creature because where as Morpling is worth 10 or so dollars a Juzam can fetch up to a hundred. I don't always think in terms of money, for instance I grossly undervalue foils and usually trade them away for deals that wouldn't be in my favor monetarily but are in my favor as far as play value. But when I just payed $3.19 and open my pack to see a Pale Moon I'm going to have a hard time consoling myself with the good uncommons.

T

Thrash Golem

rishadan port isn't that great. id much much much rather have a dust bowl.

rishadan port isn't very good. i mean its cool when i pull one, cuz its worth so much and i can get a lot of good stuff for it on MOTL, but i never put it in a deck.

S

SwingMage

Most crappy cards are rares so we don't get a lot of them.

Seriously tho, Most "crappy" rares (ie Brand, Darkest Hours, etc) are rare because they are interesting. They put a twist on the game. Allthough, they arent necessarily good twists, or useful ones.

D

Duel

Rare's are game-changing? Riight. Tell that to wyluli wolf, or security detail.

S

SwingMage

well, security detail is a token generator, and all token generators are rare (i think). albeit its a crappy one.

MOST rares are "twisty".

The woolf is prolly rare because tapping to bost another creatures power without penalty is not green's thing.

E

Earendil

Keep in mind that many cards alleged to be overly weak are actually very specialized, and can be quite powerful if their "weak" abilities are played to the hilt (remember Necropotence?). I'm actually considering coming back to Magic, and I'm trying to remake a chart of a white/black deck I had considered that ran off of sacrificing creatures, and getting those creatures back. One of the star creatures? Krovikan Horror. Four of them. They come back, they have a sacrifice ability built in...perfect for the theme. Combine one with Blanket of Night and Kormus Bell...night, night. The white half, of course, was Griffin-dominated.

Some rares, by the way, didn't even start out that way. Wyluli Wolf, for instance, was actually originally an Arabian Nights COMMON (which explains things--in that first case, you literally got what you paid for). Ditto Hurr Jackal.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

i personally like my mishra's helixes over ports, and even better are icy manipulators, but hey whats wrong with dominating licid a control magic that is reusable???

"the light is merely an illusion for those too timid to embrace the darkness"