Archenemy: Nicol Bolas (Oversoul) vs Gatewatch (Spidey, Melkor, rokapoke)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Picker and Eel die, trample damage kills Nicol.

TomB plays a Plains

Done

Nicol Bolas, God Emperor of Dune: 36
Hand: 5
Library: 34
Command Zone: *Ongoing Scheme* Bow to My Command: Rokapoke's creatures cannot attack me or planeswalkers I control. At the beginning of my opponents' end step, they may tap any number of creatures with power 8 or greater. If they do, abandon this scheme.

Battlefield:

(T) Island
(T) Swamp
(T) Dragonskull Summit (~ etb tapped unless I control a swamp or a mountain. T: adds B or R to my mana pool.)
(T) Highland Lake (~ etb tapped. T: adds U or R to my mana pool.)
(T) Crumbling Necropolis (~ etb tapped. T: adds U, B, or R to my mana pool.) *1 Blaze counter: at the beginning of my upkeep, this land deals 1 damage to me.*
(T) Submerged Boneyard (~ etb tapped. T: adds U or B to my mana pool.)
(T) Grixis Panorama (T: adds C to my mana pool. 1,T,sac: searches my library for a basic island, swamp, or mountain and puts it onto the battlefield tapped, then I shuffle my library.)

(T) Obelisk of Grixis (T: adds U, B, or R to my mana pool.)

(U) Baleful Strix (1/1; Flying, deathtouch. When ~ etb, draw a card.) *Can't block this turn due to Smoldering Spires*
(T) Horror token (3/3; attacks Melkor if able.)
(T) Horror token (3/3; attacks Spidey if able.)
(T) Horror token (3/3; attacks Rokapoke if able.)
(U) Icefall Regent (4/3; Flying. When ~ enters the battlefield, tap target creature an opponent controls. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap step for as long as I control Icefall Regent. Spells my opponents cast that target Icefall Regent cost 2 more to cast.) *Tapping Fiendslayer Paladin*
(S) Harvester of Souls (5/5; Deathtouch. Whenever another nontoken creature dies, I may draw a card.)
(S) Sun Titan (6/6; Vigilance; Whenever ~ ETB or attacks, I may return target permanent card with converted mana cost 3 or less from my graveyard to the battlefield.)
(S) Beast token (3/3)
(S) Nightscape Familiar (1/1; Blue and red spells I cast cost 1 less to cast. 1B: Regenerate ~.)

Graveyard: Vampire Nighthawk, Lightning Bolt, Cinder Barrens, Extract from Darkness, Reckless Spite, Slave of Bolas, Bone Picker, Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
Exile:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Melkor: 13
Hand: 2
Library: 38
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,U) Forest x4
(T,T,U) Island x3
(U) Woodland Stream (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add G or U to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Sixth Sense, Island, Scute Mob, Khalni Heart Expedition, Cultivate, Ior Ruin Expedition, Sword of the Animist, Vastwood Zendikon, Reckless Scholar, Thragtusk, Hunter's Prowess, Windrider Eel
Exile:
Spidey: 3
Hand: 0
Library: 42
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U,U,U,U) Mt x7
(U) Smoldering Spires (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, target creature can't block this turn.; T: Add R to my mana pool)
(T) Smoldering Spires (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, target creature can't block this turn.; T: Add R to my mana pool)

(U) Battle-Ready Shaman (2/2; At the beginning of combat on my turn, I may have target creature get +2/+0 ueot)

Graveyard: Coordinated Assault, Skaargan Firebird, Volcanic Geyser, Mountain, Chandra's Outrage, Pathmaker Initiate, Torchling, Obsidian Fireheart
Exile:
TomB: 13
Hand: 1
Library: 41
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,U,U,U,U,U) Plains x8

(U) Fiendslayer Paladin (2/2; First strike, lifelink; ~ can't be the target of black or red spells Oversoul controls) *Doesn't untap as normal for as long as I control Icefall Regent*
(U) Flickerwisp (3/1; Flying; When ~ ETB, exile another target permanent. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
(U) Aerial Responder (3/4 from ctr; Flying, vigilance, lifelink) *1 +1/+1 ctr*

Graveyard: Plains, Plains, Vizier of Deferment, Relief Captain, Anointer of Champions, Sparring Mummy, Shoulder to Shoulder
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, this sucks. Slave of Bolas was on top of my graveyard, but the deck sat there on my desk for so long that at some point (definitely before we ever started the Explorers of Ixalan game) it was knocked off and I can no longer find it. Not going to tear the place apart looking for it right now. I'll just have to remember that the physical deck is short one card and it's Slave of Bolas and its position in my graveyard is recorded on this board (assuming you guys ever get another turn anyway).

OK, I'll draw cards from Harvester of Souls for Bone Picker and Windrider Eel dying. UUD...

Go to 7 life, Melkor.

Island, Sudden Demise with X at 4, naming white. Responses?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Draw 2 cards off Harvester of Souls, cast Flametongue Kavu, targeting Battle-Ready Shaman. Responses?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'll draw another card from Harvester of Souls. I'll declare the following attacks...

Attacking Melkor: Horror token (required to attack him), Icefall Regent, Sun Titan.

Attacking Spiderman: Horror token (required to attack him), Beast token.

Attacking TomB: Horror token (required to attack him).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'll block a Beast token.

Melkor, TomB, we don't have to confer for this. You can just post here how you're handling combat.

Melkor

Sounds about right. I feel good that we're going to give Nicol Bolas his victory but obviously, this only brings him to even

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Discard down to 7, done.

Hand: 7
Library: 28
Command Zone: *Ongoing Scheme* Bow to My Command: TomB's creatures cannot attack me or planeswalkers I control. At the beginning of my opponents' end step, they may tap any number of creatures with power 8 or greater. If they do, abandon this scheme.

Battlefield:

(T,T) Island x2
(T) Swamp
(T) Dragonskull Summit (~ etb tapped unless I control a swamp or a mountain. T: adds B or R to my mana pool.)
(T) Crumbling Necropolis (~ etb tapped. T: adds U, B, or R to my mana pool.) *1 Blaze counter: at the beginning of my upkeep, this land deals 1 damage to me.*
(T) Grixis Panorama (T: adds C to my mana pool. 1,T,sac: searches my library for a basic island, swamp, or mountain and puts it onto the battlefield tapped, then I shuffle my library.)

(U) Obelisk of Grixis (T: adds U, B, or R to my mana pool.)

(U) Baleful Strix (1/1; Flying, deathtouch. When ~ etb, draw a card.)
(T) Icefall Regent (4/3; Flying. When ~ enters the battlefield, tap target creature an opponent controls. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap step for as long as I control Icefall Regent. Spells my opponents cast that target Icefall Regent cost 2 more to cast.)
(U) Harvester of Souls (5/5; Deathtouch. Whenever another nontoken creature dies, I may draw a card.)
(U) Sun Titan (6/6; Vigilance; Whenever ~ ETB or attacks, I may return target permanent card with converted mana cost 3 or less from my graveyard to the battlefield.)
(T) Beast token (3/3)
(U) Nightscape Familiar (1/1; Blue and red spells I cast cost 1 less to cast. 1B: Regenerate ~.)
(S) Flametongue Kavu (4/2; When ~ etb, it deals 4 damage to target creature.)
(S) Vampire Nighthawk (2/3; Flying, deathtouch, lifelink.)

Graveyard: Lightning Bolt, Cinder Barrens, Extract from Darkness, Reckless Spite, Slave of Bolas, Bone Picker, Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
Exile:
Melkor:

Spidey:

TomB: 10
Library: 41
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U) Plains x8

Graveyard: Plains, Plains, Vizier of Deferment, Relief Captain, Anointer of Champions, Sparring Mummy, Shoulder to Shoulder, Fiendslayer Paladin, Flickerwisp, Aerial Responder
Exile:

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, then I guess I be done...:)

Hand: 7
Library: 28
Command Zone: *Ongoing Scheme* Bow to My Command: TomB's creatures cannot attack me or planeswalkers I control. At the beginning of my opponents' end step, they may tap any number of creatures with power 8 or greater. If they do, abandon this scheme.

Battlefield:

(T,T) Island x2
(T) Swamp

(U) Obelisk of Grixis (T: adds U, B, or R to my mana pool.)

(U) Baleful Strix (1/1; Flying, deathtouch. When ~ etb, draw a card.)
(U) Harvester of Souls (5/5; Deathtouch. Whenever another nontoken creature dies, I may draw a card.)
(U) Sun Titan (6/6; Vigilance; Whenever ~ ETB or attacks, I may return target permanent card with converted mana cost 3 or less from my graveyard to the battlefield.)
(T) Beast token (3/3)
(U) Nightscape Familiar (1/1; Blue and red spells I cast cost 1 less to cast. 1B: Regenerate ~.)
(S) Flametongue Kavu (4/2; When ~ etb, it deals 4 damage to target creature.)
(S) Vampire Nighthawk (2/3; Flying, deathtouch, lifelink.)

Graveyard: Lightning Bolt, Cinder Barrens, Extract from Darkness, Reckless Spite, Slave of Bolas, Bone Picker, Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker, Icefall Regent
Exile:
Melkor:

Spidey:

TomB: 10
Library: 40
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T,T,U,U) Plains x8

Graveyard: Plains, Plains, Vizier of Deferment, Relief Captain, Anointer of Champions, Sparring Mummy, Shoulder to Shoulder, Fiendslayer Paladin, Flickerwisp, Aerial Responder, Excoriate

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
UUD, Crumbling Necropolis, attack with Vampire Nighthawk, all three Horror tokens, Flametongue Kavu, and Sun Titan. Responses?