URZA'S RAGE!!!!!!

C

Cateran Emperor

Urza's Rage
2R
Rare
Instant
Kicker 8R (yes, you read that right, eight and one red)
Urza's Rage cannot be countered by spells or abilities.
Urza's Rage deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
If you paid the kicker cost, Urza's Rage instead deals 10 damage to target creature or player and the damage can not be prevented.

Now, on to the card. All I can say is:

Holy ****

Now THAT is burn! I'll comment on this in 2 ways; once with kicker and once without.

WITHOUT Kicker this is HARDLY bad. Ok, so it's 3 mana for 3 points of uncounterable damage to any target. Not bad at all. It's only 1 colored mana early on, and as such would be badly undercosted at 1R or even RR (better than Incinerate probably)

WITH Kicker this is absolutely INSANE. Searing Wind has aboslutely nothing on this. Apparently, Urza's so p/oed that neither COP nor Counterspell is gonna get in his way. This is so much better than Blaze even in an artifact mana deck as you don't have to worry on Thwart or Foil, as they can't touch it.

Not to mention, REALLY good art (it shows Urza roasting standing there roasting an entire Phyrexian war machine). This also gets extra kudos for being possibly cooler than Skizzik to say while casting ("I am SO PISSED right now, YOU sir, are gonna FRY for countering that hapless Goblin!!!)

**MAJOR NOTE** Bear in mind that while this is an awesome, awesome card, it CAN be Misdirected or Deflected. So be wary of that.

N

nodnarb24

Red's starting to look pretty good. First Skizzik, then obliterate, now this. red is going to be great.

H

Hetemti

Just use that white card that reduces all damage above three to three.

E

Elrond

That card looks awesome, once again I can not wait until next weekend for the prerelease. An uncounterable Searing Wind for three extra is a good thing, especially considering the fact that there a lot of other good R/B cards out there so the card will more than likely be in a deck with Dark Rituals in it so that makes it a bit easier to play.

Even without the extra nine mana it's still three points of uncounterable damage, all in all I agree with the Emperor's assessment of Holy ****.

M

Multani

It's kicker cost is too high.
By the time you could pay the Kicker cost, you'd either be dead or you'd have won.

C

Cateran Emperor

FoR I'd agree that it's a bad thing it's rare, but imagine what ould happen in drafts were it common :D

Multani: Don't forget that this is no longer Urza speed we're dealing with. 12 mana may not be an impossibility with the new block (I hope)

J

JKA2545

Poor Urza....He must be pretty damn pissed to deal 10 damage.....

N

Neo_Keo

I think this the cards that they sayh people are willing to spend 12 mana to cast in a tournament. :D:D:D

Man I would love to have this in my deck.

N

Namielus

Everyone Urza's rage is very very cool, you can't martyrs cause it that is about the coolest thing I've seen for red to date.

Now everyone lets just think what could tick off the planeswalks thats what I want to know about....

C

Cerberus

I just like to here the the words
Urza's Rage cannot be countered by spells or abilities.
there music to my ears

M

mogg bomber

Let me just say that this is now my second favorite Invasion card(I still like Skizzik a little better, can you tell my favorite color is red:D) This card is so great!! At 3 mana, it's very good being an instant 3 uncounterable damage.

But not only that, but this is the best card to use as a finisher, because if the game lasts long enough that you can cast this with the kicker, then you win. Most finisher cards are in danger of being countered or prevented, but not this one. A red deck will have easily have dealt at least 10 damage by the time 12 mana is available(although they'll have usually won by this time too. I think this card shouldn't be saved to be used as a finisher unless you know the game will be stalled.) In any case, this is a very playable card.

U

Ura

its cute I guess.
*shrugs*
So now that red can really screw up blue, what can blue do back to red?

A

Apollo

This isn't bad. It isn't as good as Incinerate, Bolt, Hammer, Shock, or Seal, but it isn't bad. You'll probably never use the Kicker, but the regular ability isn't bad. The only time you'll ever use the Kicker is against Draw/Go or some decking deck that takes forever to kill you.

I wish it wasn't rare. It's a cool card, but it would suck to get it as your rare, IMHO. I don't think it would dominate draft or anything as an uncommon... if you have 17 land in your deck, you'll need 2/3 of them to use the ability.

This would kill my Browse/Digger deck, unless I get it with a Cap first... that stinks.

P

Purple_jester

Let's take a look at how a red mage would use this card. It's an instant, so the best time to use it would often be during my opponent's discard phase to kill some hapless newly-summoned creature. That being said, no red mage would fail to use this ASAP, meaning the only chance of it being used with its kicker (a whopping 10RR) is when it's topdecked very late in the game.

Thus, most of the time, it is an UNCOUNTERABLE, UNPREVENTABLE 3 damage for 3cc at instant speed. Considering that the best that red has approaching that in Standard is the perfectly stoppable Shock... Yep, good card. I love the art. I think that it was made into a rare because of its effects in Limited and Draft. And imagine what this thing can do in an Extended Wildfire deck!

Granted, its attraction is that it WILL break stalemates in very brutal fashion. As in, if you pay the kicker, you'll have won 95% of the time. The threat of this thing is probably enough justification for blue to play with more Deflection or Misdirection.

My overall assessment is that this is a very good card in the new Standard, unless a common or uncommon can equal it's efficiency. Not that I'm bringing down a good card. Have a heart guys, okay? I'm a blue mage praising a red spell here. ;)

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Ura has a point.

What can blue do?

Let's see...

Creature Beatdown befor they get the mana? No.

Destroy lands? No.

Pretty much the only things mono-Blue can do as far as we know is redirect it or bounce enough lands that they can't pay the kicker. I predict that bounce will probably be more popular in Standard right now than ever before. There might be B/U bounce and discard decks, and considering that Lobotomy is reprinted and Recoil is in too, this might be perfectly feasible, when playing with Underground Rivers and the new B/U dualish lands. Mono-Blue is dead. More dead than we thought it was before Morphling, more dead than after Tempest. Of course, this may turn out to be completely false, because I don't know what is in Invasion. However, if I turn out to be right, no one accuse me of stealing those card sheets as I live permanently in Maryland. If I am right, send letters to WoTC telling them to put more Thallids in sets. :)

O

Ogg

OGG SCARED. URZA TICKED!

I think he might be remembering Mishra, and getting vengeance.

Z

Zadok001

Just for the record, you _can_ prevent the damage if you don't Kicker it. The unpreventable thing only comes in post-Kicker.

D

Duel

Yes, but 3 damagen unpreventable is n big worry to me, unless I'm below three life, and then I'm screwed anyways.
10 damage+, on the other hand...