The Dojo wants us!!!

N

nekrataal

Well, newwave did offer first, but we have to think smart with this one. I say the dojo. They are the #1 site for Magic, everyone knows them.

R

Rubberchikken

why not both the dojo AND newwave?....why does it have to be one or the other?

I

igfett

they are both offering to host our site, by giving us space on their server to make our site. we only need one site. you can only have 1 host. the dojo is larger, and therfore the better choice

B

Baron Sengir

That depends on if they can beat Newwave's offer, in my opinion. I just got off the phone with David Doust and he presented an intriguing case, in my opinion. Basically, he would pay for all our fees and make sure we had anything we needed and all we would have to do in return is to be affiliated with Newwave.org and have banner ads from them on our site. Doust said the magic campus got five thousand hits a day on its first two days of existence.

Maybe the Dojo is bigger but if they can't beat the offer set before us by Newwave, I say we go with them. I'll e-mail Flores right now and find out how being involved with the Dojo would benefit us. Then we'll have a decision to make.

I remain
The Baron

It's nice to be wanted, ain't it?

K

K1

First of all, another congratulations to the Barron, Ferret, Ed, and anyone else who was involved in getting the CPA off the ground. With the front page dojo addy and offers from both the dojo and newwave to host the site and be an official affiliate, I admit I am much less skeptical than I was when I signed up.
I agree with the Baron in that we should wait on deciding who gets us. Just being able to say the last sentence is pretty cool. Remember, the end goal of the CPA is to finally, as contrary to economics as it seems, get the opinions of Wotc's largest customer base to count. Whichever host can best do this is the one we should go with. To summarize, two points have been brought up and BOTH should be considered, not just one or the other. Resources, monetary, web, or otherwise, and potential traffic = new members = more voice.
Do I sense another poll coming? :)

K1
(sheepishly gettin offa his soap box now)

D

Dune Echo

Congratulations to everyone here. WE are DOING IT!!! Guys, I don't know about server space or anything, so I'll agree with whatever the majority goes for.

B

Baron Sengir

I received this just a little while ago:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 1999 1:12 PM
To: submissions@thedojo.com
Subject: RE: The Casual Players Alliance

Tony,

Wondering if The Dojo can help you and the CPA out in any way. We understand
where you're coming from and see a need for something like you propose.

We can offer you server space, email addresses, web help, a little
promotion, whatever. Let's work together on this, and make Magic the best it
can be for everyone, not just the "Professional" Players.

-al tran

It would appear we're getting some attention from some pretty powerful people. What should I tell him?

I remain
The Baron

Sitting back and taking all this in

Y

Young Jedi

Well, it appears that both Newwave and TheDojo want to have dibs on helping us to improve their PR. Perhaps they will fight over us....
I say we go with TheDojo and have them help us.

I

igfett

wow. it's our choice huh? I would have to say the dojo. It's just slightly more reputable. Either way is great, but a site hosted by the dojo would be like a dream come true. could we use their UBB license if we did that? this is incredible.

-igfett
CPA Member
"respect my authority!"

C

Child of Gaea

I agree on all points, but Doust still holds the upperand as far as I'm concerned. He gave the Baron his phone number and that shows to me he is really interested in being actively involved with the CPA. is offer is very generous for a group that was nameless a week or so ago. Unless the others come up with an outstanding offer, I think we should go with Doust.

Child of Gaea
CPA
"The harder you push, the stronger we become."

M

Masticore

This is great! I think the Dojo would be the best place to have it since:
1. Gets more hits
2. Its concidered THE magic site
3. The Dojo isn't tring to sell anything
4 Isn't the Dojo like #4 on the top 100 websites?
5. I thinks WOTC keeps close tabs on the Dojo for marketing research.

Just some thoughts.....
-Brad

Ferret

Staff member
Allow me to address some of Brad's points.

1. more hits: sure, for now. But who goes to The Dojo? People that want to download decks for the next Pro Tour Qualifier? No thanks. They may be the most hit by pros, but their coverage of casual play is lacking.

2. Popularity doesn't make you the best - and we don't want to take away their status as The Site - we just want to redifine it as the The Pro's Site.

3. not trying to sell anything? What do you call all those banners and ads? It's the same thing. Maybe, we'll be getting more casual players to buy from New Wave? I see no harm there. If they make money, we'll always have a home.

4. I don't trust those Top 100 sites. It's like saying that since Ricky Martin's music is number one on the charts it shouldn't make my ears bleed.

5. WotC watching The Dojo? Bah! Don't believe a word of it. New Wave actually runs the tourneys for the DCI. You can't get any more connected than that - and Doust is willing to try and get us a voice on The Sideboard...we couldn't ask for more - we asked for much less.

I think the fact that Mr Doust is trying to sell something means New Wave will treat us better. They represent the product. We represent a majority of the consumers. It may not have been what we had in mind, but we could be the best marketting tool he ever had and he could be the best sponsor we could ever get...

-ferret

"...let's just hope it doesn't go to our heads :)"

I

igfett

Adressing that #4 thing;
I had always seen that little add and thought "wow, cool, #4 site on the net!" then i noticed the other day that it was down to #10, so i went to check out who pushed it down. turns out, this is a ranking for gaming sites only. not the entire net, as they try to advertise it.

Ferret

Staff member
Well, those are just a popularity contest. I've seen sites that I would never even think about going to, listed in the Top 10.

Their top 100 homepages are what I regularly vote on - that's where my favourite internet comics are!

-ferret

"Sluggy Freelance rules!"

G

GeneralStamp

the Dojo is a better site in my opinion. It has a better reputation and more people will be more likely to find the CPA there.

GeneralStamp

"One,two,three,four don't know how to count no more..."

W

Waubers

I think they already made a deal w/new wave

Waubers

"One time at band camp I stuck a......"

Ferret

Staff member
I don't think The Dojo in its current state is a good idea. When you look at how popular they are it's always from the standpoint of the Pro Tour, which we have nothing to do with. Most of the articles that hit the front page are from Pro Tour players - hell, the editors are all players on the Pro Tour. They'll give us a little link on their home page which no one will go to and forget about us.

Unless you're one of their favourite writers they ignore you or bury your article so deep, no one can find it or care about the content.

We're casual, they're pro. Plain and simple. We've got something big growing here and a site like The Dojo will just stunt that growth and we'll be doomed to obscurity...

-ferret

"...we outnumber them, we should be given more respect..."