highlander

M

majere666

i am new here at cpa. one type of magic style i see very little of is highlander. every card is restricted. my friends and i play any card in any set, mind twist, etc etc. having every card restricted causes you to come up with a lot of creative ideas. i'd just like to know who here plays it and thinks the same way i do

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
You're right majere666, that Highlander causes you to come up with a lot of creative ideas. I've always wondered why they never play it at the Pro Tour. If it became more popular this whole "ban everything" kick the DCI and all the pros have been on would go away quick. Combo decks would disappear altogether. Playing might be fun again! Hmmm....

D

Deckbuilder

The format has a lot of potential in casual play. However, bear in mind that this game is the intellectual property of WotC. Maintaining and supporting formats which allow 4 of each is just good business.
That's not cynacism, it's just expecting a "business" to act like one.

PS Try Stack-O-Cards. Minimum of 300 cards. All must be different(except basic land). Sheffling is a pain and the games can be lengthy, but you just never know going to happen. You can influence events, but yoy can't control them.

L

Limner

If the highlander format is what you want (and what I want as well) then we must show it to be business-wise for WotC to promote said format. I would offer the following: Highlander benifits the player by leveling the playing field. It gives players of limited resources the ability to build tier one decks. It opens the door to creative and original deck designs becoming tournament viable. It creates an enviroment of mystery and fun because you never can predict what will happen next. Why does this benifit WotC? Because happy players buy more cards and recommend the game to friends. Because increased tournament participation means increased coverage which in turn means increased sales. Because the WotC would not have to concern themselves w/Bans and restrictions and possibly a lot of innane errata (Waylay is less powerful if you only have 1 in a deck sans errata. In addition I would suggest that the format be limited to the 3 most recent sets to promote an enviroment of changing deck types and innovation.
The following is slightly off subject but I think pertinent to this discussion: For players that prefer the "old" format WotC could promote the Extended format which would allow 4 of each card and have a laundry list of banned and restricted cards. The only other format would be Open which would allow for 4 of any card from any set for those players who want a truly abusive format.
Well I know I wandered a bit but I think you get the idea. We must present the format not to the players but to the WotC executives and all they listen to is the bottom dollar. Just some Thoughts...the Limner.

Ferret

Staff member
Hmmm...IDEA! What if we could have informal Highlander tourneys? We could either hold them on E-League w/ people using Apprentice - don't like that idea myself - or convince New Wave to hold them for us. They don't have to be sanctioned; as a matter of fact I don't think they COULD be w/o WotC/DCI's permission, but it could just be for fun... if we could get away w/ it we could have prizes and stuff.

But, it does pose some questions - will we have cards that are not allowed (dare I say banned?) because they would disrupt the game or actually encourage people to play the same card over and over again (Regrowth, Yawgmoth's Will, Repopulate, Feldon's Cane, etc)? or just sit back and watch people try to figure out a combo deck that has a minimum of 60 cards in it - we could raise the minimum, too!

Ooooo! Lots of ideas...but now, I must sleep.

-ferret

"Zzzzzzzzz...."

G

GeneralStamp

Highlander tourneys would be kikin'!!! Highlander rocks and defenitely needs to have UNsanctioned tourney with some nifty prizes.

GeneralStamp

"One,two,three,four don't know how to count no more..."

M

majere666

i am glad to see some responses to my highlander topic. i thought it was a dead format. my gaming spot is a place called Star City Comics in Roanoke VA. standard is the main thing there, though they hold unsanctioned extended (free!) which is pretty cool. right now i am playing a black/red aggro deck with all sorts of fun cards (bone shredder/fodder cannon/disturb burial). hell yeah! i am going to send a deck list to the heads of the up and coming web page. i was hoping if enough decks got sent there could be a subdeck section just for highlander.

"hope is the denial of reality"
-Raistlin Majere

"Reality is the denial of some really good AD&D mission"
-Kevyn Bowyer (that's me)