The Dumbest Things....

Z

Zadok001

Ok, saw a post for this on MtgNews, I think it would be fun to bring up here. (Duel, this is your place! :) J/K)

What's the dumbest moves you've made in a Magic game? Here's mine:

I played Dark Ritual, Necropotence, Spellbook on the first turn (pre-errata).

I sideboarded all my kill methods out, and didn't realize it until three-quarters through my deck.

My opponent bluffed me into thinking he had a Fog. He was not only playing mono-red, but he had no cards in hand.

I Vendetta-ed a Task Force. My opponent had 3 Tims. (Hey, casual player, guys!)

I let my opponent attack me with an Instant. I lowered my life total.

I discarded three times to a Masticore in one upkeep.

I failed to account for my own Howling Mine six turns running.

I played Duress, mistook a Miscalculation for a Treachery, and made him discard it. He _did_ have a Treachery, though...

I didn't block the Raging Goblin with my Wild Dogs.

I tapped no less than seven lands for a Counterspell.

"Geez. I'm an idiot, eh?"

M

Mundungu

In a rec sur deck I like to vampiric tutor and draw the card I want the same turn by playing a wall of blossom.

I vampiric tutored for the card I wanted.

THEN I survived of the fittest to get the wall. After surviving you have to shuffle you deck ... so my tutor and 2 lifes where completely wasted.

I should have survivaled and then tutor.
It could have worked if I had played survival in response to the tutor, putting the survival on the stack in response to the tutor but hey .... casual player after all.

DOOOO...

Attcking with my biggest creatures forgetting that
1 the defending player had crusades in play
2 his creatures had first strike. Result, I loosed my fattiest and got rolled over...

L

Legend Master

Dumb plays? That's right up my alley :)

Anyway, I was playing against someone who managed to get out both Aluren and Recycle. After playing about 2 creatures via Aluren, he draws two six casting cost creatures with only five mana available, effectively putting him out of the game. So I end up taking turn after turn waiting to break the creature stall and smack him for the win.

So what did I do? With a Mana Flare out, I tapped 8 lands and played Recall for 4, fishing out a Fireball to play next turn. I forgot about the Flare and took 8 points of burn after I declared end of my main phase, and I died...

Needless to say, it was not a particularly memorable moment...

C

Cheewok22

Some dumb moves I make are forgetting to attack, forgetting to put counters on stuff etc. My friend played a pretty dumb move a couple weeks ago. One of my friends had enduring renewal out with Deranged hermit out so he was pumpin out the squirrels (he wouldn't pay the echo cost on deranged hermit let it die and it would automatically go back to his hand, so he did that for awhile), then my friend put a pacifism on deranged hermit, pretty stupid... we made fun of him a little more then we should of...

M

Mordecai

I was playing against a black weenie deck with my Enlightened Tutor-based white control deck. With no less than 2 Enlightened Tutors in my hand and Worship, Ivory Mask, and Absolute Grace on the table for about 5 turns, I lost. How? I was looking for a creature to make Worship do something. In response to his creatures putting the damage that would kill me on the stack, I Tutored just for the heck of it.

Oh, look, Pariah...

F

FoundationOfRancor

K. i was playin my black speed deck against a rebel deck. he had a wall of glare out. With all these encahbntments on it. It was pumped up to a 15/16 dude. I vendettaed it. I was at 16 and i thoiught vendetta took life equyal to the power not the tougness. Stupid eh?

T

theorgg

well, this was during a vanguard game- He had several creatures and I only had a phantom monster and a couple of other things.
he had put a sluggishness on it a turn before.

essentially I killed his critters off with several different colors of cards(thanks Mirri!) and then said "your turn."

He was at one life.

see the misteak?

Killer Joe

I've told this one before somewhere on the boards, well, <hail mary, full of grace...> here it goes:
One day, when I was still new to drafting, we had a tourney draft of any packs except any packs that didn't have 15 cards in them, anyhoo, I had a Weatherlight, Visions and a Mirage and upon opening my Mirage pack I saw; now I really can't remember exactly what it had except that it had this stupid burn card that was over costed at 1RR and could be brought back from your graveyard for what seemed to be waaaaaaay too much to use effectivly and so I chose some little green creature. Yup. That was a Hammer of Bogarden I passed up and from then on it was a fight to be seated next to me at the next several draft tourney's. (go figure). BTW, the guy who DID draft it, won the tourney that night.
I hang my head in shame.

C

Chaos Turtle

I've brought this up on another BBS, but since it's far-and-away the dumbest thing I've ever done...I'll repeat it here. ;)

I was playing some weird deck -- Wraths and Counters and Whispers of the Muse, a kill card, and Gaea's Blessing, to keep it going until I drew said kill. I was in a position to make top 4, and all I had to do was Wrath away all my opponent's weenies, then play the kill card. Problem? The Wraths were all in the graveyard (there were only 2, and I'd used them both). No problem, really, I would just use my Gaea's Blessing to put one back (along with some other stuff), then Tutor and Whisper to put it in my hand (the kill - Avenging Angel - was already in hand).

I had plenty of mana and all the required cards are in hand or about to be put there. This long match (1-1 up til then) was about to come to a shining and victorious conclusion.

I played the Blessing, target Wrath of God, Counterspell and another Gaea's Blessing (as a matter of principle). I set my hand down, fetch the cards, and excitedly begin to shuffle them into my library.

"I'm gonna Tutor for the Wrath and Whisper it into my hand," I say, implying that the guy could save a little bit of time by conceding; "The Angel is in-hand."

At which point an onlooker asks a simple question of me: "Dude, where's your hand?"

I look down at the table to point it out to him. But...
Oh, damn.

Long story short - it's a game loss for making a illegal move from which the original game state cannot be recreated (or something like that
).

Who wants to guess how far away from myself I set my hand down nowadays?

M

Mundungu

Chaos Turtle : I have to say that this one is pretty ... oooooch.

Very dumb and common mistake I make : forgetting to attack ... especially in tournaments (I dont play often though). Maybe it is just the stress ...

G

Gryphonclaw

I usually suppress all memories of really bad plays, but there are a few too horrible to pass up.

Such as playing a recycle when it was the only card in my hand......

A rather spectacular one, (I was stupid on puerpose) was in an alternative game, Army Magic, (there is a better name, I can't remember). Anyway, one of the rules is that you select one of the creatures in your deck as supreme commander, and if he leaves play you lose ten life.
This was at the tail end of a really long game, and my opponent, my younger cousin, had managed to amass a really big army, and get out his supreme commander, which pumped 'em all up. I had been losing my creatures rather steadily, holding him off with a Pariah on a regenerating creature. Then the creature died.
I had a replenish in my hand, so I could have set up the pariah lock again, but I also had a swords to plowshares. He was at less than 10 life, so if his supreme commander bit it he was dead. I figured, what the hell, and didn't play the pariah, pretending I couldn't stop him. Thinking, "As a fast effect before combat damage is dealt, I'll nuke the commander and he'll die." See the flaw?
So he attacks, and I plow, and THEN I remember that Stp grants your opponent life.
An ignoble death, but we both laughed pretty hard.

M

magicman_moe

well its not as bad as this one
i had a little too much "fun" before playin a game of magic. so after the second hour of a 300+ point game which i might have won if it wasnt for this one mistake. i pumped about 49 plus mana into this big badass fireball that wouldve wiped everything out.but then i forgot that he had a cop red out. so he decides to help me out with all the math of pumping up the fireball, whilst not sayin a dang thing about the cop cuz i was stupid very stupid for not even seeing it. so he goes "well are you done?" i go "yeah" "well im gonna haveta cop myself and not take any damage" and starts to laugh.then his turn comes and he goes "welllllllll your all taped out" and procedes to lay a smackdown the likes of which ive never seen and then goes "your turn."

D

Duel

I'll have you know I necro'd with a spell book on turn one.

Worst move ever: "I cast lifeline." Last words of the guy facing my panda/sneak deck

"Hey, Zadok: necro is a verb now!"

A

Apollo

Just two days ago, I was in the finals of a tournament, playing my own weird four-color Replenish deck. My opponent was playing a discard deck. I just needed to draw the Replenish to win, so I cast and used Attunement, trying to dig for it. He had a Megrim out. I took 8. I then proceeded, having learned my lesson. I wasn't about to Attune again! But I still needed the Replenish. So I cast Frantic Search.

I came in second.

Apollo

A

Almindhra

I was playing Bargain, and on this one turn I was going to go off...It was early in the game, and I Yawgmoth's Willed...Then I played my Soul Feasts along with my Rits...Then I realized that I removed all my Soul Feasts...

D

Dune Echo

Here's one of mine. I'm playing Sealed in a store. I attack with some random creatures and a leave Fyndhorn Brownie and enough mana to untap it behind. In order to prevent damage to a creature (under 6th rules), I untap it with the Brownie and my opponent just looks at me. "What are you doing that for?" "To prevent damage," I say. "No, it just untaps it," he replies. The problem was, I had the damned thing confused with Elvish Scout for some stupid reason. That'll teach me to remember the good ol' days of Fallen Empires next time I play.

Another time, I was playing Sealed and instead of using the store's provided 2 of each basic land, I said, "No, I'll use my own, so I'm not cheating since these lands are pretty worn." Well, I was playing, my creature had Gaseous Form on it, I had a Disenchant in hand and was down to the last 2 cards in my deck and still hadn't drawn a plains. My next turn, I draw... a NON-land card, and I'm like, "WTF?!" An intermediate player comes over looks at the bottom card for me and goes, "did you forget to put in plains?" DOH!

O

Ophidian

One time I forgot to count life in a spellbook/sunder deck I had. I had three Ivory Towers out and lost. I probably was around 500 life when my opponent 'killed' me.

This isn't as bad as some of these other ones, but I definitely pay more attention now.

S

Spaceman Spiff

the dumbest play, hmm, well im pretty sure it was this:
tap urzas glasses look at his hand he has two disenchants,i play a lich (atleast a proxy one), pretty dumb, huh?

I

Istanbul

I've got the game sewn up...I've got a Morphling on the offense, I've managed to counter everything my red-green opponent has thrown at me. I have many islands untapped.

I attack with my Morphling for the kill.
He casts Red Elemental Blast on the Morphling.
It goes to the graveyard; I scoop.

LESSON: Morphling can be untargetable.