Are you going to buy one

G

godhand3

Here's the big question. Have you bought a dreamcast, sat idly waiting for ps2, waiting for x-box, or are you going to get the (gasp) game cube? I myself have a ps2 on reserve and I am going to get an x-box. Also give a reason. I want a ps2 because of the game line up. mgs2, doa2, ffXl, and bouncer. Plus I can play my old games, dvd, and I hate the dreamcast controller

I

Istanbul

I own a Dreamcast.
I'll get a PS2 someday...when I'm RICH.
I have no intention of buying the GameCrap.
The X-Box...too early to say.

P

Purple_jester

I've got the PS2 on reserve. I've got the PS right now. I have a great loyalty to the quality of games made for Sony. I have no intention of getting the Game Cube, and I will destroy any X-boxes I see should I have a non-liability opportunity. :D

I hate Microsoft. I really do. And I don't trust their capability in making games. Besides, seeing a game cosnole, no matter how powerful, with the words "Intel Inside" on its casing, will make me shudder down to my sandals. :p

T

The Magic Jackal

I'm waiting for nintendo gamecube. 95% of the games playstation produces are crap. 85% of the games sony produces are crap. Only 50% of the games nintendo produces are crap. (this is a lot higher then snes, which only produced about 25% crap)

A

Apollo

I'm probably going to get PS2 sometime, but I don't have it on reserve, so I'm not sure when.

I mainly play sports games, and PS has some good ones. Spiderman is awesome too.

M

mogg bomber

Well, I'm not even considering buying a PS2 or an X-box. It's fairly obvious that almost no one here has actually looked at the Gamecube info, or you wouldn't be so against it. As you should all know by now, I am getting a Gamecube, for exactly the same reasons that Magic Jackal said.

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

Cuz even the worste criminals deserve lawers. Unless Square is putting out 200 games in the first year, i wouln't think of buying that oddly shaped piece of platic. I may attempt to get a ps2 but will probably just do what i do now, Mooch off my friend jon at his house if i wanna play any consol games.

N

nanokill

ah.. that is really the only reason pie-eater that i wouldn't buy the system right away i looked up more on it(went to more places for better info:D)and i will buy it just not right away because i would like for them to have more games out first. also having little money is a factor.:D

U

Ura

I'll be getting the PS2, would have had it already if I could have exported it from Japan.
The reasons? Because Sony has good developers working for them that are enthusiastic about their jobs rather then only making money and other then things like Tomb Raider, they don't constantly repeat the same old titles over and over and over again.
I won't go near an Xbox because I think microsoft should be burned off the face of the planet, and I don't give a damn about what tech info it has, its just an undersized glorified PC with no monitor to me.
As for the Gamecube. Nintendo is INCOMPETENT as far as I'm concerned. They've gotten too far up on their high horse and can't make a quality game to save their hides anymore. I can count the good games for N64 on one hand, and Zelda is not one of them, nor is that DK junk. They haven't released something truely new in a long time, its always Mario, or Zelda, or Metroid (which they're bringing back for the GC), and castlevania which they killed on the N64. :(
I don't care about technical stats or who has more ram or a better cpu or whatever. I want a game that I can spend 40 or 50 hours on and say to myself after I beat it "That was fun."
I haven't heard of any big developers going back to nintendo, Square isn't and they make the best rpg's on the market for consoles IMHO.
I also like variety, which the N64 never had to speak of. No sports, fighting, or RPG's to speak of and none that were any good. Where as PS has piles of them.
If Nintendo can ever get back the former glory they had with the SuperNES in their quality and enjoyment factor then I might consider a Gamecube way off down the line, but for now its just an ugly box with holes in it to me.
All I can say about the Dreamcast is, wow, Sega did something right for once. I don't care for the system all that much (not enough good games right now) its at least respectable and a great improvement from the genesis/32X/saturn days when they really couldn't get their act together long enough to turn on a power switch. I don't think the DC will last that long in the face of the systems coming out, but at least they did a decent job with it this time around.

Final opinion:

Xbox - looks good at the target range
DC - Good try, has staying power, but we'll see
PS2 - Great system, good second and third party developers, huge opening selection of games (they have all the original PS games on top of its own)
Gamecube - Could be good if they make something original for it rather then the same old titles and charactors, some good second party developers would be nice too other than Rare. Till it proves itself though in rl, wheres the flush handle?

T

Thrash Golem

aaaaah too many words

get nintendo there making a sequel to 1080 snowboarding

T

The Magic Jackal

Gamecube - Could be good if they make something original for it rather then the same old titles and charactors
But everyone wants the same old characters. I want to see mario, dk, zelda, samus, kirby, ness, and sadly-pikachu. That's where N64 went wrong, they never followed up on these characters untill it was too late. They opened with the awesome mario, then we never saw him again. If they would have been concentrating on remaking the old classic characters, they would have make a lot more money. Instead, we got quest, banjo-kazooie, and more bad games then I can remember. Sure there were a lot of great games in there, but the money is in the familiar characters.

G

godhand3

Well the main reason I do not want a game cube is not because of the games, but that I do not want a big, nasty, purple box anywhere in my house. The second reason is the games. I would love to play kirby and metroid, but they have yet to say whether they will apear on the cube. I think it is just too early to tell how good it will be. Because I dont buy a system for its specs. I buy it for the quality games. And ps2 is going to have a lot of them.

D

DÛke

I have a Dreamcast, and I love Sega.
The reason is, CapCom almost only makes games for Sega, and I love the Stree Fighter games, and all those Vs. games. Nintendo doesn't have anything to do with CapCom, and PS2 is not as contracter with CapCom like Sega.

I will buy nothing but Sega systems as long as they have the CapCom contract going.

PS2? Looks good, but too expensive.
X-Box? No thanks, I already have a computer.

G

godhand3

but capcom does make games for the playstation. One great one was breath of fire 3

N

Neo_Keo

I heard that they are going to change the way Mario looks. They say their going to make him look more grown up like.

E

Elrond

I'm going to get the PS2 because it will let me play all of my old games, watch DVDs, and it'll have Tekken Tag Tournament, I love the Tekken games and that one's just plain awesome. I also think that the system itself looks cool, space black with a blue PS2 logo on it. Also they're going to get FFX and on.

Dreamcast: There are only two games I'd buy for it Soul Caliber, or Sword of the Berserker? don't know the name for sure, just know that it's an RPG with Berserker in the title. Frankly two games just isn't enough of a reason for me to buy a system, besides the controllers are just a little too akward for my tastes, I've played it at my friend's house.

X-box: I already own a PC and don't really see the point in buying what is basically just a game only PC without a monitor, mouse, and keyboard.

Game cube: I didn't really like the 64 and unless they change the way the games look, N64's graphics were too cartoonish for me, and the types of games, Pokemon anyone, then I don't see me buying this one.

D

DÛke

...have you seen Resident Evil: Code Veronica? The best game on face of earth, trust me. Better than the FF series.
What about Space Channel 5? That game is just too funny and fun to ignore.
How about Dead or Alive 2? If there's any sexy looking game out there, than this is it! Just look at that Helena!
Try Crazy Taxi, you'll be amazed.
There are bunch more, but I'm only naming the ones I've played.
Sega rules.

D

Darsh

I'm probably going to get starcube or mabye playstation2 but for now Sega rules they have so many fun games out right now.

This is off topic but did anyone get a neo-geo before snk pulled out of america?

D

DÛke

Neo Geo is really fun.
I love KoF98 and 99.
I can't wait for Guilty Gear X for Sega Dreamcast; it's by SNK.
Why did they have to leave America, WHY, WHy, Why, why!

C

Cateran Emperor

Flash back to '96: At first I thought that I had a lot of loyalty for Nintendo as they had so far made the only good consoles so far (I only really play RPGs, and they had a MOUNTAIN of them) So I went with the N64.

Now, to the present: My N64 lies collecting dust hile I play with my old SNES. Why? The games themselves. Except for Mario 64 (which I played for months on end just b/c it was so fun) none of the game have had a real interest factor lasting more than 2 weeks. After that, there's nothing left. "Where the hell are my RPGs?" I've wondered for a long time, and finally it hit me. I didn't really have loyalty to Nintendo, It was SQUARE taht made the SNES what it was for me (that and a little game called Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. The most addictive game ever IMHO) So where to next? Well, after buying FF 7 and 8 for my PC, I realized that though still good the way the old ones were, the controls don't feel right at all, making it a blatant port. And so, I'm going back to them the way they were made to be played, on a console. So odds are, I'm going with PS2 unless GC has a LOT of GOOD RPGs to make up the difference from the Square factor.