2008 CPA Magic Pentathalon!

B

BigBlue

Stealing an idea from another site... (Wooberg.com)

In the spirit of the olympic games... I propose that we play a Magic Pentathalon... Competitors play in 5 events - we'll pick the formats. Your placement from the first 4 events get points for 1st (5), 2nd (4), 3rd (3), 4th (2), or 5th (1). For the final event you'll have a life total of your total points through the first 4 events. I would suggest the 5th event is constructed chaos - or something similar.

These will take more time to run in our virtual environment... but who cares as long as we finish by the end of '08... :)

I would suggest the following as possible formats:

Mindmaster XXX (XXX is whatever expansion is decided upon).
Build Your Own Booster MindMaster - in this format each participant builds a booster comprised of 1 rare, 3 uncommons, and 11 commons from a single block.
I'd like to see a draft, but they take soooooo long to get through with so many people... Unless we run it like the Sports draft where you pick multiple cards at a time...
Constructed Vintage
Constructed Standard
Sealed Deck
Theme Deck - play one of the preconstructed theme decks
Limited Top Deck - use the limited rules where only available cards are from a single block.

I think the best thing would be Single Elim for each event - they go the quickest... I also like Turgy's life loss rule for non-posters he started with week 4 of the sports draft.

Anyone interested?

B

BigBlue

Let's see... you registered over there to ask about it, so yeah... I figured you would be! :)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
That sounds cool, but am I reading this correctly....
If, or when, I come in last in all 4 events, I would have 4 life total for the final game?

B

BigBlue

Assuming there are more than 5 players, if you didn't place in the earlier events - you wouldn't qualify for the finale... The best you can hope for is to have won all 4 previous events to have 20 life when starting the fifth event - given this board, I don't think that'll happen. Plus, like the olympic event, you have diverse events - which should spread the points around a bit.

(In the actual Olympic pentathalon you get a handicap in the final run based on where you placed in the earlier events - as I recall.... So, this is how I'd handle that - plus it makes for an easy to score ending. One victor in the final event.)

In the interest of fair play - one person will generate all "random" boosters. Also, in constructed events, the libraries should be shuffled by one person as well - players will likely know the card orders in their library - but there is only so much you can do... I tried handling several libraries and doling out draws a long time ago - it's nearly impossible to keep up with, and people here are trustworthy... I hope we can find a volunteer (I'll do it if I have to, but I'd really prefer to participate).

M

Modus Pwnens

I'm in, I'll make some time for this, sounds like fun!

13NoVa

I'm not in (I haven't been a regular here in 3 or 4 years) but I definitely support anything that says people will play constructed Vintage :D

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'm in. Are we going to vote on the formats we use?
My favorites are Limited Topdeck, BYOB Mindmaster, Sealed Deck and Theme Deck (in that order), with a constructed chaos format for the final event. I'd like to see either extended or legacy (or EDH), though, as those are almost exclusively what I play. I think standard is too narrow and vintage is too broken.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
How about CYOS. Choose Your Own Standard..... each player makes a standard legal deck, they just choose which standard that is......
Example: I could play the current standard and Spidey could choose the standard when Mirage was just added to standard.......
This way people can play with their favorite set....

M

Modus Pwnens

Uhm, I don't think it's fair to put the Urza's block Tinker/Academy deck against.. well, basically anything else..

M

Modus Pwnens

Then forget I said anything.. I know what I'll be playing though :D

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I guess we'd have to find this:"With a banned list that is something of an amalgamation of the Legacy and Block banned lists (no Necropotence or Affinity for you!)"

B

BigBlue

In so far:

Ransac
Mooseman
Modus Pwnens
turgy22
Spiderman

How about each entrant pick one limited format... and one constructed format. There should be some duplicated formats to choose from. Also, choose a constructed format for the finale (Vintage, Extended, Standard)

The first 4 events will be Limited - Limited - Limited - Constructed. They will be run as a single game (not best of 3) single elimination tournament (random pairings). There will be playoffs for 3rd & 5th place (assuming we get an even number of players.

Points are awarded as described above.

The final event will be constructed chaos - life total will be total points rec'd in the previous 4 events. Decks will be submitted before the tournament begins.

Because of the summer vacations etc...

Signups for this will go through 8/22. PM me w/ your choices for formats etc. I'll announce the events after all entries are rec'd. You'll all have 1 week to prepare decks and we'll decide on blocks/sets for limited as needed.

B

BigBlue

I only got 1 PM...

I think I'll hold off on this idea until after the Singleton Draft is over... since everyone is involved there.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Yeah, I'll be into it later, but the Sport League and the Ultimate Draft are pretty big by themselves.

Ransac, cpa trash man