CPA in Vintage Worlds!

13NoVa

I just wanted to stop by and give all you who remember me the news that I did in fact Top 8 Vintage worlds.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats! What deck did you play?

What do you think about the recent restrictions? Did they have an effect on the types of decks you've seen or played?

B

BigBlue

Very cool! We'd love to hear more about it!

Thanks for the update.

13NoVa

I played Drain Tendrils. I don't feel the restrictions did anything but make Combo playable, and make winning skill-intensive. Anyone who may know of the format will recognize 7 names in the top 8. It was the most skill-intensive format I've played.

I want ya'll to know I haven't forgotten my roots, though!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But did the restrictions make sense or were they too much for one announcement? Were certain decks neutered by them or did people find ways to still play the decks anyway?

13NoVa

Gush decks and flash were the only things Nuetered. Slaver played Strategic Planning in order to make up for brainstorm, and Tendrils decks just played more restricted cards. I myself never played Drain Tendrils in the old format, so it was new to me. I just played with duress and more things to do with mana (Thirst for Knowledge).

I'm looking for strategic planning though. someones gotta have them.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
13NoVa said:
I'm looking for strategic planning though. someones gotta have them.
Portal:Three Kingdoms??? Good luck with that, I don't have any of those portal cards.

R

Rakarth

Wouldn't Telling Time be better? Instant speed and you get to keep the three cards in you library, same cost too. If not then could you explain to me why :D I have no knowledge of Vintage :)

Rakarth

M

Modus Pwnens

The idea is that you get some cards in your graveyard as well, which works pretty well with cards like Yawgmoth's Will and Goblin Welder :)

R

Rakarth

Forgive me a few more silly questions, but how're Vintage decks focused? I've seen a few deck lists and they seem to have a lot of one of's, silver bullets i've heard them called?

Are vintage decks aggro, combo, control? I imagine combo to be the strongest (I would think :)) given the entire range of cards available or a combination. Does a deck need to have more than one way of winning or just loads of ways of protecting it's single win condition?

Rakarth

13NoVa

Combo and Combo-Control are at the top. A deck that kills with Tendrils of Agony after cards like Black Lotus, Dark Ritual, and Yawgmoth's Will. other than that, Tinker for Darksteel Colossus or Beating down with Tarmogoyfs and Dark Confidants.