If cheaters never win, then why do they cheat?

P

Phydomir

I don't really cheat, like putting card ontop of my deck, bud somethimes just in casual games i look at the top 2 cards of my deck ore something like that, bud nothing more then that.

D

Dead

If anyone's interested, i developed a bit of software to see if a deck can be pilesorted in such a way as to maintain it's original structure, or place a key card in the opening hand. Results were interesting: a deck with a square number of cards (eg 64) will return to original config after just two pilesorts. Add in some dodgy rifles and the deck is stacked. Also look out for even numbers of pilesorts followed by sloppy rifles- the top card returns to the top after every second pilesort. If you want to do a bit of investigating yourself, you can get the program from my site. (see URL in sig)

D

Duel

[me]fervently takes down scribbled notes[/me]
Every other pilesort....
Sloppy shuffling
64 cards...
[me] looks up[/me]
Who, me?
No, I was just, was just, um, trying to watch for these in the future. That's right, that's exactly what I was doig...

[Edited by Duel on September 1st, 2000 at 01:53 AM]

H

Hetemti

Cheaters are funny...they cheat not only their opponentes, but they cheat themselves, and they cheat thier deck.

Have they no faith in their cards? If your deck is good, it will win. Not every time, but often. If not, instead of putting cards on top, you need to put different cards in until the deck works.

T

The Undertaker

Sadly, I had one friend that cheated when we played. He took losing personally, just the hot-headed type sometimes. He would pull cards like terror from his graveyard has to play multiple times. Once he even slipped a card from his collection into one of his sleeved cards, a card he would never play with normally. Needless to say we did not play much after that.

I never understood why cheating was so important to some people. I mean, where is the feeling of pride if you have to cheat your way to victory. That is why I stopped play Magic tournaments because so many people I played always seemed to have the "right" card at the "right" time. Much more then luck. I suppose it boils down to maturity which is obviously lacking in some people. What can you do though? About all you can do is play people you know that won't cheat of if you are playing a tournament be ready to call someone out if they do. The flea's come with the dog.

T

Thrash Golem

ok the dude in a tournament sideboarded vs my deck, and in his starting hand he got 2 cop: blacks. i duressed him. luckily i had more mana then him eventually and thrashing wumpus and despoiled him to death.

this other time i was watching a game, this guy drew his hand, 1 swamp, 3 drk rituals, 4 black knights. then he even claimed he could cast them all on the first turn with 7 mana. he is a horrible cheater. he still lost too.

hehe and another guy played this deck where every time he got a first turn shivan dragon (somehow) wasnt it funny how i wrecked him with 20 cents of cards (seal of fire, thunderbolt)

D

Dead

Oops, forgot to mention, for the square numbered deck the number of piles has to be the square root in order to return after 2 pilesorts. For example, 64 card deck means 8 piles of 8 cards.

Of course, the best solution to a stacked deck is a grindstone....

The problem with cheating is that practices alter from group to group- we don't mind mana weaving (taking 2 non-land then a land and grouping together) provided everyone who wants to can rifle shuffle the deck. If players reveal their hand by mistake that's their fault. There's no real problem until you meet players from different isolated groups- which usually happens in a tournament where cheating is a bigger issue anyway.

J

JKA2545

It's hilarious, we had a draft tournament last weekend at my local card store, and this one guy who is known to be a cheater actually blatantly cheated while playing the store owner!!! Needless to say he doesn't come around there anymore...

N

Namielus

Well there was always the "2 dark ritual sengir guy", I haven't really cheated other than when I dueled a 1st turn kill deck.

And I always say anytime someone looks through the top cards on there library cheating (even if its perfectly leagal the way they do it). Cause I don't like blue, its just not right...

N

Neo_Keo

You ever played those people who liked to play with those rules you know

discarded any time
draw buack up to 7
lay a llands down

I think its dumb and strategicless

I told these people that when they were giving me crap about not playing with their rules.

Finaly one day was enuf then I said lets play.

Grabbing my Illusion of granduer deck realy quick I got to go second. Well since you could discard at any time I just went through my whole deck for my cards lets see lay down
5 islands
1 city of traitors ( drawed it )
1 Illusion of granduer
1 donate

so I'm at 40 and he's at 20
next turn he pays upkeep but then I decided to just boomerang it back to my hand.

They never did bother me again :D:D:D

C

Cerberus

I also have played against the so called 'Ritual, Ritual, Sengir' draw player and although he has never had first turn Sengir against me I have caught him stacking and rigging the draw in other games. As for me I have never cheated in any true games although in one or two games with my younger brother and his friends I have rifled my deck but never in a real game with friend it is just not right!!

D

Duel

Right. A good deck should, for all intents and purposes, stack itself.